Need help choosing screen

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I have built dedicated media room - 15' 10" (wide) x 19' (deep) x 10' (height)

No windows

Single door

There is 6 feet deep riser at the back and will have 3 theater reclining seats and a sofa right in front of it. So viewing distance for sofa will be around 12' -13' and theater seating will be 1'-2' behind it.

I have purchased:

Projector: Sony VPL-VW295ES

Revel speakers:
Front 3 L/C/R: Revel W990

Surround: Revel W383 x 4 speakers

ATMOS Ceiling: Revel C583 x 4 speakers

Denon AVR 6700H receiver

Subs SVS PB 2000 x 2

The color of the walls and ceiling is Sherwin Williams Greenblack SW 6994

The carpet is Karastan - City Loft - Silhouette

I am wondering which screen to buy 120" vs 130" (or 133" depending on the brand)

What aspect ratio should I choose for screen? Media room will be dedicated for movies.

It will be a fixed screen (and Not drop down screen)

Acoustically transparent vs solid screen

gray slate vs solar white vs pure white and what grain - lower or higher like 1.1 or 1.3 or with sony projector Sony VPL-VW295ES

Revel W990 speaker has following dimensions per website:
Cutout dimensions (H x W) 19.1" x 12.5" (48.6 cm x 31.8 cm) • Includes zero-bezel magnetic grille • Grille finished dimension (H x W) 20.6" x 13.9" (52.3 cm x 35.3 cm)

Media room has 2x4 walls, 16” between studs. How will I fit not only right and left but also center speaker if I choose 133" screen vs 120" screen and at the same time not having center speaker way low towards the floor as they need to be at ear level to sound good or right and left speakers way out. Do I need ATS? I don't have any personal preference but ATS is way more expensive .

The vendor told me I will see perforations in ATS with 133" screen size with my viewing distance.

Where can I get good deal on screens?

I would appreciate forums advice.

gray slate vs solar white vs pure white and what grain - lower or higher like 1.1 or 1.3 or with sony projector Sony VPL-VW295ES

Revel W990 speaker has following dimensions per website:
Cutout dimensions (H x W) 19.1" x 12.5" (48.6 cm x 31.8 cm) • Includes zero-bezel magnetic grille • Grille finished dimension (H x W) 20.6" x 13.9" (52.3 cm x 35.3 cm)

How will I fit not only right and left but also center speaker if I choose 133" screen vs 120" screen and at the same time not having center speaker way low towards the floor as they need to be at ear level to sound good or right and left speakers way out. Do I need ATS? I don't have any personal preference between ATS vs solid but ATS is way more expensive .

The vendor told me I will see perforations in ATS with 133" screen size with my viewing distance.

Where can I get good deal on screens?

I would appreciate forums advice.

Thank You

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are looking at an acoustically transparent (AT) screen, then I would go to Seymour AV for it. They have a long history of making some very good AT screens with excellent design. I don't know enough about the Revel in-wall speakers to know how they sound, but as an in-wall speaker, I would definitely consider an AT screen.

I've used multiple AT screens over the years, and while I do prefer Seymour over most others, I have also gone very inexpensive with the Silver Ticket woven screen recently and was extremely surprised at the excellent image quality it delivered on a 135" screen with a JVC projector in a dedicated theater space.

I would definitely go to the 135" range with your setup. The front row will be more immersive than the back row. Typical screen size is about 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance, so 135" fits a nice middle ground for the two rows.

While I like the value of Silver Ticket, I do believe that Seymour AV has a better overall product.

At $2,000 vs. about $500, I think I would at least give the Silver Ticket screen a try.

Gain on any woven screen will typically be slightly lower than gain on a non-AT screen. But, you can get the width and speaker placement perfect for your room.

I would stick with a 16:9 screen. I have a write up on this, and do accept that it is often personal preference, but please understand that while many movies are presented in the 2.35 aspect ratio, not all of them are, and ALL HDTV is presented in the 16:9 format.

Is it possible you may see the fabric or the surface of an AT screen? It is possible, but it is rare. Most people do not see the surface at all with AT screens and one of the reasons I prefer woven screens is the tighter surface and higher level of uniformity across the screen with better acoustic transparency than a perforated screen.

IF YOUR INSTALLER RECOMMENDS AN ALR (Ambient Light Rejecting) SCREEN FOR YOUR DEDICATED THEATER... FIRE THEM!!!!

The best material in a proper home theater is white. Minimal gain (.9 to 1.3). 2.35 can be used in wider rooms with lower ceilings, but that's not your setup.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I love acoustically transparent screens. I have a seymour screen and it has served me well.

However, you have enough space to place your left and right speakers outside the screen area and could probably do the same with the center speaker.

That would let you get more screen gain (useful) for a lower price (useful).

I prefer a 235:1 screen but that means that you get black bars on the sides with 16:9 content, and 16:9 content feels smaller. Personally, I like this but some people find annoying. It also means you have to set up zoom and lens shift to switch between the two sizes and you will probably have to adjust the iris/output to have the same amount of light output between the two sizes, and you'll be more limited in where you can mount the projector since it will need to be able to zoom between the two sizes.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies:

What color screen to choose White vs Grey or Slate specifically for Sony projector VPL-VW295ES

for solid screen?

for ATS - woven or perforation?

Crutchfield and local vendor said grey/slate but from what I read it should be white as I have no windows, every thing dark. I am confused.

Last edited:
nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
These days in a light controlled room with a good projector, white makes the most sense. MAYBE if your walls and ceiling are white we could consider something else, but....

Solid versus acoustically transparent really depends on where you want to place your speakers. Solid is more gain and cheaper so if you can use it, it is the ultimate visual quality.

But in many setups it is nicer to have the speakers behind the screen so acoustic transparency is a fine, small compromise. Room EQ helps overcome SOME of the impact of speakers being behind the screen which, at best, is like having a speaker grill on the speakers.

Woven versus perforation:

1. Woven when done well has less impact on the sound and lets you put the speakers very close to the screen.
2. Perforation can have higher gain or other properties not available with a woven screen, but typically need to have as much as a foot between speaker and screen to avoid harming the audio significantly AND some people can see the perforation from some distances. (Check with the manufacturer for their recommendation.) Note: Some people can see the weave of a woven screen at some distances, too, so this is not just something to test with perforation.

---

Get screen samples of whatever you are considering and hang them and projector onto them. This is the only way to ensure that you like the look, don't see a pattern, etc.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
My walls, ceiling and carpet are all dark. Side panel at bottom is dark too.

I was considering Screen Innovations Zero Edge Fixed Frame projector screen with ultra thin frame, Pure white Fabric (133") vs Screen Innovations 3 series Fixed Frame projector screen with Solar white Fabric (133")

Any advantage of Zero edge screen with Screen Innovations - it's same price.

From what I can see Seymour 131.9" D screen is same price whether it is Center Stage XD only or Center Stage UF only or Glacier White non-AT and is nearly same as Screen innovations Series 3 non ATS.

I wish I could seen in person how Seymour woven screens look.

Seymour ATS is much cheaper compared to Stewart and Screen Innovations.

The vendor who will install said
"The left and right front speakers will work perfectly on the sides of the screen. I would place the center channel centered below the screen. If you prefer to use a perferated screen then we could put the center channel speaker behind it. my experience is that the sound placement works in either location as we can balance the sound accurately with the sound pressure microphone."

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can get screen samples from pretty much every screen manufacturer if you want to see what it looks like.

There is almost no reason to spend the money on in-wall speakers if your room supports floor standing models. This is a pretty major consideration at this point if you haven't bought already . In a theater the main reason to use in-walls is because you intend to use a AT screen. If your room is dark, as it is, then you should be getting a white screen.

Not sure how wide the room is compared to a 133"ish screen and how much room you have left/right of an installed screen for speakers. Nor do I know if you would have room for floor standing speakers instead of in-wall speakers. All this said, I would get a AT screen and put the center channel at around ear height if I was using in-walls. If I didn't need to use in-walls, I would put a center channel on a low speaker stand angled towards the listening position.

All of this said, I would still get a white screen. If I was really concerned with how it is going to look and I was spending a lot on a screen, I would get screen samples.

DO NOT GET SLATE!!! That's a waste of image quality and money.

White. Get white.

AT or non-AT is up to you and the speakers in use.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Ask each vendor to send you samples. Except for the bargain providers like Elite or Silver Ticket, this won't cost you anything (and with Elite it is just ten bucks or something).

This is very important when contemplating something like a woven screen because different textures are visible at different distances. You want to make sure you don't mind what it looks like at your seating distance.

For example, the two Seymour choices. One is best under 12 feet. The other is better over 12 feet. The latter has more gain (useful for large screens) but more visible texture when close to it. You should be able to hang samples up, project onto them, and see the differences (negative gain versus neutral, weave, etc)..

While your installer is right that you CAN put the center speaker outside the screen area, that becomes less workable the larger the screen, and I think you are on the cusp of that no longer being a good choice. That works much better when the screen is 100 or 110" since the center speaker doesn't end up too close to the floor. And note that if you have two rows, having a speaker below the screen can make it hard for people in the second row to hear dialog easily since it is blocked by the first row audience.

If you dont put it behind the screen, you can spend less on the screen and get higher quality and more gain, for less money, sicne you wont be paying the premium price of acoustic transparency, but as I say, you are a little on the large side (unless you have 10 foot ceilings?) for that to work ideally.

If you decide to place the center below the screen, you might prefer an in room speakr rather than in wall, so you can tilt it up towards the listening area.

(You are getting a 16:9 screen as I recall, so the L and R speakers can go outside it. In wall still might be a nice choice if you are doing "in wall" for the center -- and good ones these days suffer no penalty versus in room speakers when installed correctly -- but people love the look of towers, too, and if you are the type to swap out gear, don't get in wall speakers. Marriage versus dating.)

My walls, ceiling and carpet are all dark. Side panel at bottom is dark too.

I was considering Screen Innovations Zero Edge Fixed Frame projector screen with ultra thin frame, Pure white Fabric (133") vs Screen Innovations 3 series Fixed Frame projector screen with Solar white Fabric (133")

Any advantage of Zero edge screen with Screen Innovations - it's same price.

From what I can see Seymour 131.9" D screen is same price whether it is Center Stage XD only or Center Stage UF only or Glacier White non-AT and is nearly same as Screen innovations Series 3 non ATS.

I wish I could seen in person how Seymour woven screens look.

Seymour ATS is much cheaper compared to Stewart and Screen Innovations.

The vendor who will install said
"The left and right front speakers will work perfectly on the sides of the screen. I would place the center channel centered below the screen. If you prefer to use a perferated screen then we could put the center channel speaker behind it. my experience is that the sound placement works in either location as we can balance the sound accurately with the sound pressure microphone."

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Ask each vendor to send you samples. Except for the bargain providers like Elite or Silver Ticket, this won't cost you anything (and with Elite it is just ten bucks or something).

This is very important when contemplating something like a woven screen because different textures are visible at different distances. You want to make sure you don't mind what it looks like at your seating distance.

For example, the two Seymour choices. One is best under 12 feet. The other is better over 12 feet. The latter has more gain (useful for large screens) but more visible texture when close to it. You should be able to hang samples up, project onto them, and see the differences (negative gain versus neutral, weave, etc)..

While your installer is right that you CAN put the center speaker outside the screen area, that becomes less workable the larger the screen, and I think you are on the cusp of that no longer being a good choice. That works much better when the screen is 100 or 110" since the center speaker doesn't end up too close to the floor. And note that if you have two rows, having a speaker below the screen can make it hard for people in the second row to hear dialog easily since it is blocked by the first row audience.

If you dont put it behind the screen, you can spend less on the screen and get higher quality and more gain, for less money, sicne you wont be paying the premium price of acoustic transparency, but as I say, you are a little on the large side (unless you have 10 foot ceilings?) for that to work ideally.

If you decide to place the center below the screen, you might prefer an in room speakr rather than in wall, so you can tilt it up towards the listening area.

(You are getting a 16:9 screen as I recall, so the L and R speakers can go outside it. In wall still might be a nice choice if you are doing "in wall" for the center -- and good ones these days suffer no penalty versus in room speakers when installed correctly -- but people love the look of towers, too, and if you are the type to swap out gear, don't get in wall speakers. Marriage versus dating.)
If you dont put it behind the screen, you can spend less on the screen and get higher quality and more gain, for less money, sicne you wont be paying the premium price of acoustic transparency, but as I say, you are a little on the large side (unless you have 10 foot ceilings?) for that to work ideally -------> Yes, I have 10' ceiling

(You are getting a 16:9 screen as I recall, so the L and R speakers can go outside it. In wall still might be a nice choice if you are doing "in wall" for the center -- and good ones these days suffer no penalty versus in room speakers when installed correctly -- but people love the look of towers, too, and if you are the type to swap out gear, don't get in wall speakers. Marriage versus dating.) ----> 16:9 screen, in wall Revel W990 speakers R/L/C

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
You can get screen samples from pretty much every screen manufacturer if you want to see what it looks like.

There is almost no reason to spend the money on in-wall speakers if your room supports floor standing models. This is a pretty major consideration at this point if you haven't bought already . In a theater the main reason to use in-walls is because you intend to use a AT screen. If your room is dark, as it is, then you should be getting a white screen.

Not sure how wide the room is compared to a 133"ish screen and how much room you have left/right of an installed screen for speakers. Nor do I know if you would have room for floor standing speakers instead of in-wall speakers. All this said, I would get a AT screen and put the center channel at around ear height if I was using in-walls. If I didn't need to use in-walls, I would put a center channel on a low speaker stand angled towards the listening position.

All of this said, I would still get a white screen. If I was really concerned with how it is going to look and I was spending a lot on a screen, I would get screen samples.

DO NOT GET SLATE!!! That's a waste of image quality and money.

White. Get white.

AT or non-AT is up to you and the speakers in use.

Room is 14' 8" wide x 19 feet deep (riser at back is 6 feet deep - so viewing distance for first row is 12-12.5')
Ceiling is 10'

I have already bought in wall speaker Revel W990 for R/L/C

Will buy white screen.
Seymour ATS vs non ATS is same price - question is which one to buy and if I will see weave from 12 to 12.5" viewing distance as I can not return it and don't have projector to try it.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Those are quality speakers. I'm jealous. (And now I see you told us that already in the first post! Sorry, forgot.)

If you have time: Ask Seymour for screen samples. Even without a projector, you can shine a flashlight and get a sense of what it may look like in terms of seeing weave. And ask them what they think about your use case (size, distance, projector, room). They like to answer questions and they want people to be happy. But my guess is that at 12' you should be okay.

Personally, as I say, I wouldn't buy the screen until after I have the projector, if I had time to spare. Project onto a white sheet or $100 cheap frame from Amazon for a few weeks with the new projector until you are confident in the size you are considering. (This will also let you test out the screen samples you have received from the vendors.)

That being said, Seymour is good stuff. And if you are having an installer do the work, and need to get it all at once, I would go with Seymour acoustically transparent without hesitation. The main reason to test things is to increase YOUR confidence. I don't actually think you'll change your mind.

Since you already have nice in wall speakers, I MIGHT consider putting all three behind the screen. Technically that is a little narrow for the L and R but it is also a really cool look. Anyway, just a thought!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I haven't had anyone complain about weave being visible with Seymour or Silver Ticket woven AT screens. Not ever. Not that I've done hundreds, but I have someone sitting 10' away from a 133" diagonal and they don't complain... quite the opposite. They really like the image quality.

@nathan_h is right on point though. Get a screen sample if you are concerned. If you have time, then wait on ordering the screen until after you have seen the projector in action on the wall. Give multiple sizes a try if you are unsure of which size your family will enjoy the most. Go larger than you initially intended, go smaller, try out sizes and then decide what size works best if at all possible. MOST people wish they had gone larger, not smaller. But, 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance really is the sweet spot for most and an average between the two with two rows is typical.

But, if you can try first, then buy a screen later, then do so. I've done this for a number of my clients. I get their projector in a month before the final installation, and I shine it on their wall. Have them sit on portable chairs in their unfinished/construction area basement and see what it will look like. Give them at least a baseline feel so that they are comfortable with the size.

Screen material has never been an issue, but samples are either free or really cheap, so get some if you can.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis