Need help choosing Brand/Towers

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
My budget is around 7k, 10k if the upgrade is well worth it. These are my main choices. Also what is ribbons sound better for and then berilyium dome? Trying to use them for Movies/Music. Not going for a deep bass ,since I'm going to be getting subwoofers for that end.

[5k-7K Range]
-JBL HDI 3800s
-Aerial Acoustics 6T
-Salk Sound SONG3 Beats

[8k-10k Range]
-Aerial Acoustics 7T
-Salk Sound SS8/S8BE
-Salk Sound SS9.5
-Legacy Focus SE

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
My budget is around 7k, 10k if the upgrade is well worth it. These are my main choices. Also what is ribbons sound better for and then berilyium dome? Trying to use them for Movies/Music. Not going for a deep bass ,since I'm going to be getting subwoofers for that end.

[5k-7K Range]
-JBL HDI 3800s
-Aerial Acoustics 6T
-Salk Sound SONG3 Beats

[8k-10k Range]
-Aerial Acoustics 7T
-Salk Sound SS8/S8BE
-Salk Sound SS9.5
-Legacy Focus SE
None of those. Get the RBH SVTR Towers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Salk SS8 has my vote, tho the 9.5 with the Be tweet looks pretty awesome too. I'm biased toward the RAAL tweets tho. I have them in my current speakers and they're the best sounding speakers I've had in my room yet.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your choices look pretty solid. I would also be looking at offerings from Dali Rubicon, Monitor Audio, KEF, Revel, PSB. If this is for a single listening position, definitely consider the Polk Legend L800s. Definitely check out the Atlantic Audio 8600eLR. I absolutely would not limit myself to certain tweeter types, as the design as a whole counts for way more than whatever tweeter is employed. Also check out the Canton Vento Reference.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Your choices look pretty solid. I would also be looking at offerings from Dali Rubicon, Monitor Audio, KEF, Revel, PSB. If this is for a single listening position, definitely consider the Polk Legend L800s. Definitely check out the Atlantic Audio 8600eLR. I absolutely would not limit myself to certain tweeter types, as the design as a whole counts for way more than whatever tweeter is employed. Also check out the Canton Vento Reference.
This is going to be part of a 7.1 - 9.2 setup. But I'll take a look at all of these choices.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
So would you prefer the ribbon tweets over the berilyium on the SS8? ITS going to be part of a 7.q starting out then a 9.2.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So would you prefer the ribbon tweets over the berilyium on the SS8? ITS going to be part of a 7.q starting out then a 9.2.
Imo, given the designer in question I'll bet it's more a toss up than any big differences. Both tweeters are very, very good.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
Imo, given the designer in question I'll bet it's more a toss up than any big differences. Both tweeters are very, very good.
What's your opinion on the Dali Rubicom 8s , they have a hybrid tweeter. They look really decent.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What's your opinion on the Dali Rubicom 8s , they have a hybrid tweeter. They look really decent.
I'm very limited in experience with almost all of those speakers so I'm definitely not the guy to offer any final answers. I know Jim has a reputation for being very helpful and if you describe your room, needs and goals he's great about explaining the pros and cons of each type based on your wants/needs.

I have never heard a Dali speaker. Honestly I haven't heard any of the speakers on your list, but all of them are considered top of the mark. The good news is, I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter which way you go.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
We can lead you were to look. But you need to do the Research either by personally Auditioning speakers yourself. And sometimes that means taking time out of your Schedule to Drive (sometime hours) to hear these. Or if that is Totally Impossible there are Videos (like the ones I posted for you) with Descriptions and Reviews.
Atleast your on the right track and not backwards like at First

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

[5k-7K Range]
-JBL HDI 3800s
-Aerial Acoustics 6T
-Salk Sound SONG3 Beats

[8k-10k Range]
-Aerial Acoustics 7T
-Salk Sound SS8/S8BE
-Salk Sound SS9.5
-Legacy Focus SE
There isn't a speaker in that list you could go wrong with. If budget will effect the other purchases, ie multiple subs, take that into account.

P

P41NE

Junior Audioholic
We can lead you were to look. But you need to do the Research either by personally Auditioning speakers yourself. And sometimes that means taking time out of your Schedule to Drive (sometime hours) to hear these. Or if that is Totally Impossible there are Videos (like the ones I posted for you) with Descriptions and Reviews.
Atleast your on the right track and not backwards like at First
For sure man! Thanks alot. I think I'm gonna go with salk. I like the quality and the customer service. Not to mention they look sexy. Lol.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For sure man! Thanks alot. I think I'm gonna go with salk. I like the quality and the customer service. Not to mention they look sexy. Lol.
Sweet! Let us know what veneer and finish you choose.

Check out @ryanosaur electric blue (or close) as an example of the possibilities

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Which one's you thinking?

Song3 Encore
Veracity HT3 ✔

I'd also ask Salk his Recommendation

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I think I'm gonna go with salk. I like the quality and the customer service. Not to mention they look sexy. Lol.
I agree with mazersteven. Call Jim Salk and tell him what you are thinking. He's very good to talk to, and he's great at helping you figure out what speakers best meet what you want.

Of the different Salk speakers you mentioned:
Song3 Beats – Might be very good for what you want.
Song3 Encore – Has a 9½" woofer and larger cabinet. It goes deeper in bass (F3=25 Hz) than the other Song3 models with a 7½" woofer (F3=33 Hz). You may not need that deeper bass with the subwoofer you already have.

SS8 & SS8Be – The woofers for these might not be available anymore. Ask Jim Salk.
Veracity HT3 – Same story for it's woofers. Ask Jim Salk.
SS9.5 – This model was made to replace the SS8. Ask Jim Salk. For what it's worth, the Song3 Encore comes close to the SS9.5 in performance, at a lower price mainly because it's cabinet is much less expensive to build.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not going for a deep bass ,since I'm going to be getting subwoofers for that end...Legacy Focus SE
I think Legacy Focus SE would be my 2nd choice in terms of best bang for my buck. Each tower has dual 12" woofers, so a pair will have four 12" woofers.

If I were to own the Focus SE towers, I would bi-amp those dual 12" woofers using a sub amp. This is technically not true 100% active bi-amp, but it's close. You might still want subwoofers, but actively bi-amping a total of four 12" woofers will provide a lot of bass.

For true active bi-amping of the four 12" woofers, you can go for the RBH SVT towers. These are basically what Gene has, except he has a total of EIGHT 12" woofers, instead of just four 12" woofers. :D

I have the SVT towers standard, which consists of the SV-831R Reference + SV1212N (standard). I use my Yamaha RX-A3080 to power the upper cabinet of the SVT towers and use a single SA-500DSP sub amp to power both (2) the SV-1212N subs (in series). So with the SVT towers, you really don't need to buy additional subs because 2 SVT towers = 2 SV-1212N Subwoofers, which are true subwoofers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think Legacy Focus SE would be my 2nd choice in terms of best bang for my buck. Each tower has dual 12" woofers, so a pair will have four 12" woofers.

If I were to own the Focus SE towers, I would bi-amp those dual 12" woofers using a sub amp. This is technically not true 100% active bi-amp, but it's close. You might still want subwoofers, but actively bi-amping a total of four 12" woofers will provide a lot of bass.

For true active bi-amping of the four 12" woofers, you can go for the RBH SVT towers. These are basically what Gene has, except he has a total of EIGHT 12" woofers, instead of just four 12" woofers. :D

I have the SVT towers standard, which consists of the SV-831R Reference + SV1212N (standard). I use my Yamaha RX-A3080 to power the upper cabinet of the SVT towers and use a single SA-500DSP sub amp to power both (2) the SV-1212N subs (in series). So with the SVT towers, you really don't need to buy additional subs because 2 SVT towers = 2 SV-1212N Subwoofers, which are true subwoofers.
Or you could simply get the active Focus XD instead with various options like the Wavelet processor....guy I know has a pair of these and loves them. He's on the opposite coast, never had the pleasure myself.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or you could simply get the active Focus XD instead with various options like the Wavelet processor....guy I know has a pair of these and loves them. He's on the opposite coast, never had the pleasure myself.
You know how I feel about putting AMPS inside ANYTHING (other than the amp chassis). :D

If the amps fail, you might just be a little bit screwed, especially 10 years later. So that's why I don't see any point of putting amps inside the speakers (or even subs).

Gene has active RBH SVTRS speakers, but at least all the amps are EXTERNAL. And if he wanted to, he could use ANY external amp.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You know how I feel about putting AMPS inside ANYTHING (other than the amp chassis). :D

If the amps fail, you might just be a little bit screwed, especially 10 years later. So that's why I don't see any point of putting amps inside the speakers (or even subs).

Gene has active RBH SVTRS speakers, but at least all the amps are EXTERNAL. And if he wanted to, he could use ANY external amp.
Yeah I don't put amps in my diy subs for sure. OTOH if done well it shouldn't be a particular issue. I think there is an external option?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis