Need Help choosing 2.1 computer system

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
OK, building the Madisound recession buster speakers for my computer have started me down the path of upgrade-itis. Aside from the new speakers, my computer system is a bit "ghetto". I have a receiver from an old bookshelf system that I only keep around because it has a subwoofer output. For the sub I'm using one from an old logitech system, but parts have been ordered for a new sub.

For my computer setup, I can't see myself needing anything more then a 2.1 system. I think a 5.1 system is impractical for a computer setup. I want to ditch my current receiver because it's pretty bulky, the cd player no longer works, I never use the tape deck and the sub crossover is not adjustable. The only 2.1 amp that I know of is the TCA gizmo, which has a few drawbacks: the crossover is not adjustable, it does not have a headphone output, and has limited power if I ever decided to upgrade my speakers.

This leaves me with two options, a HT receiver or a pro crossover such as the Behringer CX2310 paired with a 2 channel amp like the Audiosource AMP100. Right now my requirements for a 2 channel system are something with an adjustable crossover and a headphone jack, but a system with upgrade potential and flexibility would be nice. I'm open to suggestions.

Pricewise, both options look about the same. A low end HT receiver can be had for ~$150. The CX2310 is $60 at audiolines. The AMP100 is about$80 from Amazon. It does not have a headphone jack, but there must be something else in it's price range that does.

Phew, sorry for the long post.

PS, I have put some old camera gear on ebay to fund my new system, hint hint ;)

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
That's a tough question. If you want to connect anything besides your computer, the reciever would definitely be the way to go. The CX2310 only has XLR inputs and might need a higher input signal than your computer can provide. You could fix that by getting an ART cleanbox, but that's more $$. A reciever will have auto calibration, which could make a big difference. However, the reciever isn't as easy to incorporate into future upgrades.

I use an Onkyo 506 in my computer set-up and it works really well. Doesn't get too warm and has plenty of features for me. I liked the reciever option but YMMV.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
2-ch receiver is the way to go even if you only use 1 input. I have an integrated amp with a sub which I've been using for over a year and a half. Boy I don't regret that buy. I can power nice bookshelves with those 50watts. And it doesn't eat a lot of space either...

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
That's a tough question. If you want to connect anything besides your computer, the reciever would definitely be the way to go. The CX2310 only has XLR inputs and might need a higher input signal than your computer can provide. You could fix that by getting an ART cleanbox, but that's more $$. A reciever will have auto calibration, which could make a big difference. However, the reciever isn't as easy to incorporate into future upgrades.

I use an Onkyo 506 in my computer set-up and it works really well. Doesn't get too warm and has plenty of features for me. I liked the reciever option but YMMV.
The CX2310 has +/- 12db input gain control, will this be enough to compensate for the low output from the pc? I can't see myself needing to connect anything else other then the computer. My entire music collection has been ripped to my hard drive, cd/dvds I just use the drive in my computer. For those of you just using 2 channel receivers, are just using the speaker level inputs on your sub? I've never hooked one up like that, how exactly is it done? Is the sub just connected in series with the speakers? I have heard that hooking up a sub this way is not ideal, depending on the amp it does not use the built in crossover. FYI, I ordered the Foster plate amp from NHT for my new sub.

http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
The CX 2310 paired with something like this amp is what I am looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CDZDI/ref=s9_sdps_c2_s1_p23_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1VNA3DYHNBXXB934Z1H9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I know Pyle products are pretty bad, but this is the type of amp I want. It has a headphone jack and a small form factor. Anyone know of something similar, but with a bit better quality then the pyle? I would consider something like the Dayton t-amp if it had a headphone jack. I've always wondered why there isn't a market for 2.1 home audio products.

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
OK, I saw a CX2310 for $59 and jumped on it :D Couldn't resist. Now i have to figure out how to get the 3.5mm output of my pc to the XLR input of the 2310. I might hold off on the amp for a bit. My bookshelf receiver is old, bulky and ugly, but still functional. At least now i can adjust my sub crossover.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis