need help, all 7 speakers in ceiling + subwoofer

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Look, if this is the space, then this is the space. I wish people would stop giving you crap about what you are working with, and just be helpful in providing suggestions, options, and solutions.

I certainly feel that if you have a soffit near the screen, that putting in-wall speakers, or on-wall speakers facing the seating position is better than in-ceiling speakers facing (mostly) downward. That said, I've used the Monoprice in-ceiling speakers with angled drivers, and they do a good job of directing audio more towards the listening position than normal in-ceiling speakers with drivers facing straight down.

I like the idea of you using in-wall speakers for the surrounds, and look at one of the several speaker position guides on the main Audioholics website to get a good idea for best location.

I'm not sure I would add any ceiling speakers for Atmos, but it isn't the end of the world if you do or don't. That's up to you.

I would say, that I wouldn't go overboard on getting 'great', or much better than 'good' in-wall/ceiling speakers. You have to drop $500+ typically to get quality in-ceiling/wall speakers that have a real bump up from sub $80 in-wall speakers. Using $50 8" or 6" 2-way (or 3-way) speakers isn't the wrong way to go here.

Your subwoofer selection should be completely separate from your speaker selection and should be very carefully considered. Wireless options for subwoofers are out there and can be added to almost any subwoofer on the market. So, get a GOOD subwoofer, regardless of the speaker choice. It will help fill in the low end and add a solid presence to the room. This can't be said enough: Subwoofer selection is completely separate from speaker selection, and most reputable speaker companies are not reputable subwoofer companies, and often, vice-versa.

Since nobody else asked, what is the recommendation for a screen and a projector? Since those can be big-ticket items that cost as much, or more, than the speakers, it would be good to know your plan there. Specifics are good. IME, a tab-tensioned motorized screen is the only way to go. If you aren't going to spend the money on a good tab-tensioned screen, then get a inexpensive manual screen. It will save you a lot of money and provide the same results as a more expensive motorized screen.
How far are you sitting from this screen? (eyes to screen?)
Typically you want about 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance.
What make/model of projector are you considering?
In a VERY poor white room with white ceilings and a light floor, using a really high contrast projector is pretty pointless. Instead, consider one that is mid-contrast and has the proper placement flexibility for you. The Epson 3200 (USA) would be my recommendation in that room. Decent contrast, 4K support (faux-K), a good lens, and great placement flexibility.

Thanks BMXTRIX
really appreciate your comments...

unfortunately there is no soffit near the screen also as the ceiling has hallow cavity, all available inceiling dont have aimable tweeters...I just come to conclusuion to forget about any sound at the moment ...I know its silly but as I said I iwll be using the room any after 10:00 pm and acnt use any speakers anyway...I might use my Sennheiser RS 185 as I musing now or even use my Sony MDRZ1R with Amp...if we have guest I will be hooking up the current soundbar I have ( LG SK10Y) or even get better one so I wont spend on any speakers , Sub not AVR ...
seating is 12 foot ( 3.7 m) away from the screen as screen I am buying motorised ELITE SCREENS VMAX 100" as projector EPSON TW-9400W ( not sure which model is in US) ....please note I have plan either paint the room or use the dark curtains to improve the room situation and again I will never use it in days ...so I wanted to buy something would be good after these modifications...

also need to ask if we have something like AV to support 4k HDR Dolby Atmos ( for my OLED LGTV) as I will need to feed both projector and screen from it ...something has 6-7 HDMI input and 2 HDMI output and also something like optical audio for my headphone but hopefully much cheaper than Denon 2600 which originally I wanted to buy ...

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
Hi all sorry to keep this going but I find another alternative to the ground floor I was talking about...in our 1st level there is only 1 possibility that I put the projector as showed as motorised with the condition nothing is exposed or there is no wire... I just need to ask as this :

- the ground floor I can turn light off and there is only 1 small windows which I can block so even during the day room can be kept dark but 1st level there are more windows so the light control is weaker
- but unlike the ground floor which I will have screen very close to the wall and cabinet, in 1st level there is 1.5 meter from both side space to the nearest wall so I think reflection is lower
- from sound, now I can have a bit better option, at least I can use the aimable tweeter inceiling ( unlike the ground floor )
- I can move the TV downstairs so we can have access to 2 media , specially in future when my 4 years old wants to see something we dont want , in ground floor I want to put both TV and projector so only 1 can be used at time
- as my office is close to the 1st level , I can put all AVR , apple TCV...in a Rack and in my Room, which also has my NAS, PC, Router ...
- Ground ceiling is only 2.1 m but ground level is 2.5m
- in ground level we are not using the kitchen but who knows maybe we have some guest and we can use it

the electrician will be here tomorrow and I need to make my mind by tomorrow...really appreciate if you advise ...please note I can chose any other location in the 1st level, believe me...

both plans - 1st level
UP.jpg

Ground level

Untitled-2321.jpg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all sorry to keep this going but I find another alternative to the ground floor I was talking about...in our 1st level there is only 1 possibility that I put the projector as showed as motorised with the condition nothing is exposed or there is no wire... I just need to ask as this :

- the ground floor I can turn light off and there is only 1 small windows which I can block so even during the day room can be kept dark but 1st level there are more windows so the light control is weaker
- but unlike the ground floor which I will have screen very close to the wall and cabinet, in 1st level there is 1.5 meter from both side space to the nearest wall so I think reflection is lower
- from sound, now I can have a bit better option, at least I can use the aimable tweeter inceiling ( unlike the ground floor )
- I can move the TV downstairs so we can have access to 2 media , specially in future when my 4 years old wants to see something we dont want , in ground floor I want to put both TV and projector so only 1 can be used at time
- as my office is close to the 1st level , I can put all AVR , apple TCV...in a Rack and in my Room, which also has my NAS, PC, Router ...
- Ground ceiling is only 2.1 m but ground level is 2.5m
- in ground level we are not using the kitchen but who knows maybe we have some guest and we can use it

the electrician will be here tomorrow and I need to make my mind by tomorrow...really appreciate if you advise ...please note I can chose any other location in the 1st level, believe me...

both plans - 1st level
View attachment 37525

Ground level

View attachment 37532
This looks more promising.

I think though you are making a really fundamental error in your planning. This is trying to get lots of channels at the expense of quality.

I can tell you that a high quality 2.1 system gives a far better cinema and music experience than a system with 11 poor channels.

In truth most rooms are not suitable for multichannel and would be far better off with two really good channels.

I can tell you two good channels really can give you a good experience. You just have to give more than you thought you ever would for that one pair of speakers.

So in that room, I would go for a really good in wall system either side of that window. No center channel as there is the window. A ceiling center speaker would spoil it.

A couple of ceiling surrounds would not upset things, but probably not add much.

This could all be done neatly and without wires being visible.

In that lower room, where you now have placed the 65" OLED TV you could do a good 3.1 in wall system, with the center above the TV. You have plenty of room for a concealed potent in wall sub.

Here is a very potent 3.1 system, with a concealed sub.

That is my wife's rig and she loves it. The TV is a 65" plasma.

M

MasonSafari

Audioholic Intern
This looks more promising.

I think though you are making a really fundamental error in your planning. This is trying to get lots of channels at the expense of quality.

I can tell you that a high quality 2.1 system gives a far better cinema and music experience than a system with 11 poor channels.

In truth most rooms are not suitable for multichannel and would be far better off with two really good channels.

I can tell you two good channels really can give you a good experience. You just have to give more than you thought you ever would for that one pair of speakers.

So in that room, I would go for a really good in wall system either side of that window. No center channel as there is the window. A ceiling center speaker would spoil it.

A couple of ceiling surrounds would not upset things, but probably not add much.

This could all be done neatly and without wires being visible.

In that lower room, where you now have placed the 65" OLED TV you could do a good 3.1 in wall system, with the center above the TV. You have plenty of room for a concealed potent in wall sub.

Here is a very potent 3.1 system, with a concealed sub.

That is my wife's rig and she loves it. The TV is a 65" plasma.
Thanks TlS, I think you are right...I used to use my headphone Sennheiser HD 800 and although it was only stereo, I had a very immersed experience watching movies...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis