Need good amp pair for Mcintosh C504 preamp

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Enthusiast
Been years since I have posted but I thought I would take some suggestions... I have recently been updating my Kitchen sound system. For years have been running a Marantz 2225 and just upgraded the speakers to Klipsch RP600m. I use a Technics SL-1300, Marantz CD changer and Echo Link for streaming. It sounds great together and also run JBL Control 5 on my deck with this set up. I just bought a Mcintosh C504 preamp and have a Linn DK2 amp to try with it. I do not think it will sound "warm" like my marantz so I was wondering if there are any "warm" sounding amps out there for under say $800 new? I was looking at Emotiva as they have a pretty good reputation but was wondering if there are any other 2 or 4 channel amps out there that would be "warm" to add to the Mcintosh. The Klipsch are really bright! Thanks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Been years since I have posted but I thought I would take some suggestions... I have recently been updating my Kitchen sound system. For years have been running a Marantz 2225 and just upgraded the speakers to Klipsch RP600m. I use a Technics SL-1300, Marantz CD changer and Echo Link for streaming. It sounds great together and also run JBL Control 5 on my deck with this set up. I just bought a Mcintosh C504 preamp and have a Linn DK2 amp to try with it. I do not think it will sound "warm" like my marantz so I was wondering if there are any "warm" sounding amps out there for under say $800 new? I was looking at Emotiva as they have a pretty good reputation but was wondering if there are any other 2 or 4 channel amps out there that would be "warm" to add to the Mcintosh. The Klipsch are really bright! Thanks!
Pointing out the obvious, it won't take much to drive those. Even taking a few dbs off Klipsch's rated sensitivity, any good 80 watt and up will drive those to ridiculous levels. 2 watts would be very loud at 10'.

C

Chocolatey MidsFan

Enthusiast
A pair of Outlaw 2220 monoblocks would be my recommendation. They have all the clean power your Klipsch speakers will ever need.
The only problem is that the mids are more Chocolatey than warm.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
May I recommend the following stereo amplifier without any reservation:

Here is a serious review of the unit:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why look for an amp with tone control attributes?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
You are looking for a warm sounding amp, The real fact is that the purpose of an amplifier is to increase the incoming signal voltage without adding anything to that source. So, all good amplifiers should be acoustically transparent without affecting the character of the incoming source material.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you are looking for a good power amplifier in your planned budget, the Marantz MM7025 would represent an excellent option:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you want warm or cool or whatever the preferred temperature of the sound, I suggest buying a Yamaha AVR and use the manual Parametric EQ.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why do you think you need a pair of amplifiers?

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Enthusiast
wow. thanks for all of the response. I went to the local shop here in the Detroit area and they reccomend Parasound. You right that it does not take much to drive these. I got the Mcintosh today and I plugged on my Linn LK2 and one channel is dead... very frustrating because it worked a couple weeks ago! It is on the bay now. Since I am looking under $800... Benchmark is out of the question... maybe the Marantz?
How about Emotiva? seem to have good reviews...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
wow. thanks for all of the response. I went to the local shop here in the Detroit area and they reccomend Parasound. You right that it does not take much to drive these. I got the Mcintosh today and I plugged on my Linn LK2 and one channel is dead... very frustrating because it worked a couple weeks ago! It is on the bay now. Since I am looking under $800... Benchmark is out of the question... maybe the Marantz?
I recommended the Marantz MM7025 because the Emotiva brand is no longer considered by several members a reliable product. Emotiva won't repair any of their products beyond the warranty period. That represents to me a very poor after sales service. I wouldn't think you would have a similar problem with the Marantz.

Another good option which would cost a bit more than the MM7025 would be to get a Monoprice Monolith 2X amp. It's solidly built by ATI, an American company which also builds its own brand products but markets them at higher prices:

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Emo just ain't what they used to be!

Prices have gone up, the ability to repair out of warranty has gone down.

They also seem to have short production runs and short life cycles for most of their products. That throws a red-flag to me. A GOOD product, esp an amplifier, can and should be on the market for 10-20 years!

Parasound is generally good, but they have at least 1 lemon to avoid, the P5 had a design flaw on the volume pot!

Just FYI, I own an Emo USP-1, XDA-1, and a set of their slim BS speakers. And, I own a Parasound zCD and 1206 Amp. All great products (there are a couple of oddities on the XDA-1, but they are a moot point in my setup and application). So, I'm not just crapping on these companies, as I do like the products that I own.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Outlaw Audio

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I run McIntosh gear in my kitchen too...

Not really... lol.

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Enthusiast

Not really... lol.
haha... This is what powers my deck and my wife and I listen to records on the weekends in the kitchen with some type of booze since we can not go anywhere!
So I was just looking at a new turntable cartridge... then a new turntable... then new speakers... then streaming... The link software is clunky but sounds pretty good. I have been using Amazon music for years so all of my playlists are there and now we have family.... blah... blah... blah... I am sure I will be getting a new cartridge soon too
Online Home theater and audio business has to be doing great!
I have been doing my share.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
haha... This is what powers my deck and my wife and I listen to records on the weekends in the kitchen with some type of booze since we can not go anywhere!
So I was just looking at a new turntable cartridge... then a new turntable... then new speakers... then streaming... The link software is clunky but sounds pretty good. I have been using Amazon music for years so all of my playlists are there and now we have family.... blah... blah... blah... I am sure I will be getting a new cartridge soon too
Online Home theater and audio business has to be doing great!
I have been doing my share.
Did you have a chance to listen to any of the Parasound gear at your dealer? Good, clean and transparent with more than enough power and well within your budget when on sale:

Jason Anderson

Jason Anderson

Enthusiast
no... they had to order it. So It is hard to shell out $800 without hearing and touching something. They really didn't take me serious since I said I wanted the Mcintosh sound without the Mcintosh $.... told me I did not need an amp but needed new speakers... That was before I knew my Linn was going to Ebay...
I will say... the ONE channel sounded great... hooked up an old 30 watt Sansui amp for my deck and enjoying the Michigan night now.....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
no... they had to order it. So It is hard to shell out $800 without hearing and touching something. They really didn't take me serious since I said I wanted the Mcintosh sound without the Mcintosh $.... told me I dis not need an amp but needed new speakers... That was before I knew my Linn was going to Ebay...
I will say... the ONE channel sounded great... hooked up an old 30 watt Sansui amp for my deck and enjoying the Michigan night now.....
You really don't need to hear an amp, just as long as it can drive your speakers without clipping and not into distortion. That's predicated on an amp not coloring the sound, which most all modern amps dont. Even McIntosh's tube amps sound like their solid state amps after the 80s.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Not really... lol.
phhhhh! You should see the gear I run in my garage! :) :)

spoiler: PE Overnight Sensations, Gobo Gainclone from boxedkitamps, pioneer 5 disc changer

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis