Need Floor Speakers

Rhyno37

Rhyno37

Enthusiast
So I finally received my Marantz receiver (250W 5.1) now looking for some floor speakers to begin my set. I've narrowed it down between the Polk TSi400's and 500's, and then the Klipsch Icon. I can get the 400's for $300 for the pair, the 500's for $400 for the pair, and the Icons for $400 for a pair, since I work at the store and get a discount. There is no listening room at any stores around me, and listening to them in the wide open store on a low end receiver doesn't have much bearing, so I'm putting some trust in you guys. If I don't like them, I can simply return them for the others. Basically, if I get the more expensive pair, I'll have to stick with just them for a while. If I get the cheaper, I can get a center, sub and surrounds sooner.

Klipsch - Icon 6-1/2" 2-Way Floor Speaker (Each) - KF-26

Polk Audio - Triple 5-1/4" 2-Way Floor Speakers (Each) - Black - TSI400 BLACK

Polk Audio - Quad 6-1/2" 2-Way Floor Speakers (Each) - Black - TSI500 BLACK

Here's my reciever for anyone interested:
Marantz - Slimline 250W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver - NR1402

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. If you can return them, then I recommend bringing them home to listen to them at your place. That's the best way to figure out if you like them.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Great Point

Hi. If you can return them, then I recommend bringing them home to listen to them at your place. That's the best way to figure out if you like them.

That is very true. I hope that you have that option. Short of that, I'd choose either the Klipsch KF-26 or the Polk Audio TSI500s.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Great find!

Crutchfield is awesome.

Definitely get the P162 for $199 each from Crutchfield.

F

fokakis1

Audioholic Intern
With your accommodation you could step up to the Polk Rti-A series. They are made of real wood and offer excellent performance, plus you get a great deal on them as an employee.

Rhyno37

Rhyno37

Enthusiast
Can I run 2 fronts and a center to start with? Will it sound ok? Or do I need to wait till I get my rears and sub?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can I run 2 fronts and a center to start with? Will it sound ok? Or do I need to wait till I get my rears and sub?
It will sound pretty good, just not as good as with a subwoofer. :D

And not as good as with surrounds.:D

The P362 has decent bass. I use the P362 in my family room. No center speaker. They sound just fine. Clear and accurate sound. Decent bass. When I added a subwoofer, even a BIC subwoofer:D, they sounded much better.:D

So right now I have 2 P362 + a BIC PL200 sub in my family room.

Rhyno37

Rhyno37

Enthusiast
Someone told me the next part after getting the fronts is the center, then the surrounds, then the subs. So will I run it in 5.1 or stereo mode if I get the center as well? Is this the right choice to get the center next?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Someone told me the next part after getting the fronts is the center, then the surrounds, then the subs. So will I run it in 5.1 or stereo mode if I get the center as well? Is this the right choice to get the center next?
If you can afford the subwoofer first, then I would get that after the main front L/R.

Then get the Center, then surrounds.

If you only have the front L/C/R, then I would run it as 5.0 (no subwoofer).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The last speaker I would purchase is the center channel depending on the listener position..how far from center you are sitting and the imaging capbilities of your left/right mains. If you sit less than 20 degrees off center and your mains image very well, you can get buy without a center channel. I would get the surrounds, sub ( dependng on how low your mains can play ) and lastly the center channel. Some people claim that the center channel is the most important speaker of the group but I always challenge them with this question...when playing 2 channel music, what speakers are responsible for centering the vocals smack dab in the middle of the soundstage with most recordings?

The only time I would buy a center first even if I met the criteria above is if I know that the speaker model line is end of life and a new model has replaced the current model. Then for the sake of matching the center to teh mains, would I purchase the center channel first.

Rhyno37

Rhyno37

Enthusiast
Ok so I ended up purchasing the TSi400's on the fact that I liked the sound of them the best, and they were cheaper. Hooked them up, and I've got to say, I FREAKING LOVE THEM. BF3 sounds insane now, every shot and explosion is pulse pounding, even sports sound better, and music sounds tenfold better.

As far as my next components go, I have some options.

Center Channel:
Polk Audio - 5-1/4" Center-Channel Speaker - Black - CS10 BLACK

vs

Polk Audio - 6-1/2" Center-Channel Speaker - Black - CS20 BLACK

Rears/surrounds. I would rather go with the surrounds over the bookshelf because I can mount them on the ceiling/wall, where as theres not a lot of room for stands.
Polk Audio - 4-1/2" Satellite Speakers (Pair) - Black - OWM3 BLACK

vs

Polk Audio - 5-1/4" Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Black - TSI100 BLACK

And Sub.
Polk Audio - 10" 200W Powered Subwoofer - Black - PSW110 BLACK

vs

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B000OY6CVI

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis