Need Component Advice

Audioholic
PENG: I looked at some of the ASR reviews and measurements and although I understand how to read a graph, I haven’t studied these measurements so I don’t really know how to compare one unit to another, but I understand your point.

panteragstk: I was sort of considering the made in Japan Marantz PM8005 Integrated Amplifier & I found one for ~ $850.00. The PM8005 has the tone controls I’m looking for, but has a relative lack of inputs. I was planning on purchasing used equipment, which is no problem for me as long as it’s been taken care of, as you mentioned.

Regarding analog vs. digital, I place a premium on analog sound, but at the same time, I desire all the functionality and inputs that a digital processor affords. This includes the items that I listed in my original post.

Although I would certainly like to get a C45, the fact that I’d need to pair it w/ both an Amp such as the ATI AT1505 (or similar) and a digital processor is not very appealing to me (not to mention significantly more expensive) when I could simply do as AcuDefTechGuy advises and get a Yamaha CX-A5000 and an ATI amp, which would essentially meet all my requirements - the CX-A5000 has a plethora of inputs. Of course, such a system wouldn’t have the panache of a McIntosh system, but it would certainly be more cost-effective. Regarding the sound quality of the CX-A5000/AT1505 vs. the C45/AT1505, I do not know, but according to AcuDefTechGuy, any perceived differences would be quite minimal. AcuDefTechGuy’s advice differs from what I’ve read – that the sound quality of digital pre-amps/digital processors is inferior to a quality analog system, but I guess a good quality DAC would remedy that issue.

My original plan was to get a C45/MC7270, and although the C45 does not have digital decoding, I was advised that I could use the digital decoding that is built into a Oppo BDP-103 (for example), which has on-board 7.1 decoding. I could go into the menu and set the 7.1 outputs as variable, which would allow volume adjustment from the remote control. If I was to go this route, which is obviously more expensive, I could get a McIntosh C42, 45 or 46 & pair it with an ATI or, for example, one of the Rogue Audio integrated amps I found for under $2K (but the Rouges don’t have tone controls.) I also have an older Pioneer VSX receiver, which I currently use for both HT and 2-channel – perhaps that could handle the digital processing, though the VSX is quite old and is starting to exhibit some issues.

I think the most cost effective method to get that I’m looking for is to follow AcuDefTechGuy’s advice, though I’m not sure if the CX-A5000/AT1505 combo would sound great with my Heresy IIIs as I’ve read that Heresy IIIs sound great with both McIntosh & tubes and some SS amps can sound harsh with the Heresy IIIs.

Grandzoltar: Thanks, but as I stated above, I’m not real sure what these measurements mean.

M Code: I’m not sure that’s entirely true:
https://americanmadeaudio.com/product-category/preamplifiers/

AcuDefTechGuy: Thanks. I addressed your comments above in my reply to panteragstk. I agree with you regarding reliability, quality control, and customer support.

loveinthehd: Thanks. Odyssey and Cherry look interesting. I will look into both further.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
PENG: I looked at some of the ASR reviews and measurements and although I understand how to read a graph, I haven’t studied these measurements so I don’t really know how to compare one unit to another, but I understand your point.

panteragstk: I was sort of considering the made in Japan Marantz PM8005 Integrated Amplifier & I found one for ~ $850.00. The PM8005 has the tone controls I’m looking for, but has a relative lack of inputs. I was planning on purchasing used equipment, which is no problem for me as long as it’s been taken care of, as you mentioned.

Regarding analog vs. digital, I place a premium on analog sound, but at the same time, I desire all the functionality and inputs that a digital processor affords. This includes the items that I listed in my original post.

Although I would certainly like to get a C45, the fact that I’d need to pair it w/ both an Amp such as the ATI AT1505 (or similar) and a digital processor is not very appealing to me (not to mention significantly more expensive) when I could simply do as AcuDefTechGuy advises and get a Yamaha CX-A5000 and an ATI amp, which would essentially meet all my requirements - the CX-A5000 has a plethora of inputs. Of course, such a system wouldn’t have the panache of a McIntosh system, but it would certainly be more cost-effective. Regarding the sound quality of the CX-A5000/AT1505 vs. the C45/AT1505, I do not know, but according to AcuDefTechGuy, any perceived differences would be quite minimal. AcuDefTechGuy’s advice differs from what I’ve read – that the sound quality of digital pre-amps/digital processors is inferior to a quality analog system, but I guess a good quality DAC would remedy that issue.

My original plan was to get a C45/MC7270, and although the C45 does not have digital decoding, I was advised that I could use the digital decoding that is built into a Oppo BDP-103 (for example), which has on-board 7.1 decoding. I could go into the menu and set the 7.1 outputs as variable, which would allow volume adjustment from the remote control. If I was to go this route, which is obviously more expensive, I could get a McIntosh C42, 45 or 46 & pair it with an ATI or, for example, one of the Rogue Audio integrated amps I found for under $2K (but the Rouges don’t have tone controls.) I also have an older Pioneer VSX receiver, which I currently use for both HT and 2-channel – perhaps that could handle the digital processing, though the VSX is quite old and is starting to exhibit some issues.

I think the most cost effective method to get that I’m looking for is to follow AcuDefTechGuy’s advice, though I’m not sure if the CX-A5000/AT1505 combo would sound great with my Heresy IIIs as I’ve read that Heresy IIIs sound great with both McIntosh & tubes and some SS amps can sound harsh with the Heresy IIIs.

Grandzoltar: Thanks, but as I stated above, I’m not real sure what these measurements mean.

M Code: I’m not sure that’s entirely true:
https://americanmadeaudio.com/product-category/preamplifiers/

AcuDefTechGuy: Thanks. I addressed your comments above in my reply to panteragstk. I agree with you regarding reliability, quality control, and customer support.

loveinthehd: Thanks. Odyssey and Cherry look interesting. I will look into both further.
Many of us (myself included) have owned many analog Class-A components before we owned any digital components.

In fact, at one point I was using 4 Class-A Analog Stereo Preamps + Amps for my 7.1 Sound System!

All Analog baby!

Later on, I was using 3 analog Integrated Amps for my 5.1 Sound System. The Universal media player did all the decoding.

Bottom line - everyone has a different opinion. But many of us have been there done it.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
AcuDefTechGuy’s advice differs from what I’ve read – that the sound quality of digital pre-amps/digital processors is inferior to a quality analog system, but I guess a good quality DAC would remedy that issue.

as I’ve read that Heresy IIIs sound great with both McIntosh & tubes and some SS amps can sound harsh with the Heresy IIIs.
You have mentioned "....I've read................." a few time but what are the sources, subjective views, or views based on measured performances? If those were people's subjective views, then you have to decide who you would believe, surely you know people do hear things differently. Objectively speaking, your speakers are not hard to drive but it is highly recommended that you use an online calculator to figure out how much "power" you need for your present room and the room you are moving to, then you will know at least what kind of amp you should aim for in terms of "power" requirements.

Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy: Wow. That looks expensive.

PENG: Good point and duly noted.

Audioholic
I'm thinking I may switch gears here. I value high fidelity audio a good deal more than home theater, so HT is a much lower priority. My old Pioneer VSX-502 can always be used for HT until after I get my main system operational.

So what I have in mind is to continue to save for my main audio system: a First Watt F6 and a C45 - with my Heresy IIIs, of course. What say you?

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
So what I have in mind is to continue to save for my main audio system: a First Watt F6 and a C45 - with my Heresy IIIs, of course. What say you?
The F6? Too much coin for too little payoff, and inherent compromises/limitations. Worth exploring if you build it yourself, perhaps. Speakers as sensitive as Heresies will tempt you to dabble in lower power, more esoteric amps like the First Watts and such. I've done it. Based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend using such an amp as a daily driver, but more of a novelty, tertiary amp, if you even go that far.

Get the Marantz receiver with tone controls you mentioned upthread (I've never met a Klipsch heritage speaker that wouldn't benefit from a bit of midrange attenuation), or one of the lower tier Yamahas with the variable loudness (also a midrange cut).

Audioholic
[B]AcuDefTechGuy[/B]ski2xblack: Thanks, that makes perfect sense. & yes, I was tempted to go the low-wattage route. I'll take a closer look at that Marantz ane the Yamaha that AcuDefTechGuy recommended, but I'm gonna keep looking for a C45 as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis