need basic help with a processor

S

skippy90210

Audiophyte
I have recently gotten my hands on an anthem statement d2v. I dont know much about processors. i am more versed in standard receivers. What would be the benefit to running this processor with a receiver? do they help with SQ? are they mainly for movies or do they help with music listening as well? I also am not sure on the best way to hook this thing up. Any help would be appreciated!

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Control!

You get to decide what type of amp to connect to he processor.:cool:

FM/AM Tuner :p

You get to choose interconnects
Balanced/Unbalanced;) AVR is already a packaged deal:confused:

Potential longer term Reliability for build in favour of the SSP however considering how often new products become obsolete these days AVRs are definitely going to be a cheaper solution on the format processing side whereas a separate power amp isn’t bound by constant electronic evolution and will last as long as you take care of it!

SQ depends on the DAC(s), source material as well as your ability to optimally arrange your speakers and treat your roomo_O

There is obviously more factors but cost usually is the deciding factor we all inevitably run into.

In a race it’s usually the last 20% of improvement that doubles or more than doubles the cost for 1/5 of the total improvement! It’s really up to the consumer to decide their cost limit and today more than ever!

S

skippy90210

Audiophyte
So it seems like for most people a nice avr is more than enough? Where I'm at is, I got the anthem for free. Yeah I know crazy right? My question is should I waste my money on building something around the processor? Or should I just sell it and purchase a nice avr with the money? Seems like I could get a stand alone amp and use my current avr just as a processor

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
So it seems like for most people a nice avr is more than enough? Where I'm at is, I got the anthem for free. Yeah I know crazy right? My question is should I waste my money on building something around the processor? Or should I just sell it and purchase a nice avr with the money? Seems like I could get a stand alone amp and use my current avr just as a processor
I wouldn’t sacrifice the Statement D2v for an AVR.

If Dolby Atmos, DTSx or other streaming features are something you care about and your AVR supports those formats then use it for those formats and services!

Of course I’m an Anthem fan still using my AVM 20 processor without HDMI ports! The D2v smokes my processor yet my ears haven’t kept up with any of the electronics evolution either. Still the same ears for 40 years :p

I don’t actually follow much of the new technology available today so honestly your better to wait for another reply if your really concerned not to leave any rock unturned!

S

skippy90210

Audiophyte
Thanks man, my main thing is just understand exactly what it is, because I honestly didn't know these existed. I only know about avr's. So I just wanna learn like what scenarios your use this anthem in and like how's it's most useful, or what

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Thanks man, my main thing is just understand exactly what it is, because I honestly didn't know these existed. I only know about avr's. So I just wanna learn like what scenarios your use this anthem in and like how's it's most useful, or what
If Dolby Atmos, DTSx setups are not important to you and your not in a rush for 4K UHD your needs are more than taken care of for now!

On the other hand if you want the above features the statement won’t deliver them. The AVM 60 would have been the luckier for free!

Like I said in my previously post the statement D2v would be a huge step up from my AVM 20 but like you the AVM 60 offers more of what is current technology!

I would use it for DTS master Audio and HD Dolby Digital surround formats for starters since it offers the necessary HDMI ports my AVM 20 lacks.

Anthem Room Correction(ARC) is a very reputable software built right into most of Anthems more modern SSP’s which for me is an invaluable tool for SQ.

The Video Processor in the Statement is another potential benefit that suits my dinosaur 720p projector more than someone using a 4K display.

If you can get a decent 5 ch amp used try it out with the Statement using say Balanced XLRs and use the unbalanced RCA inputs from your AVR to power an Dolby Atmos or DTSx material.

Kinda sucks having a beast of a SSP that lacks processing available on units for a fraction of the price! I can relate to that with my AVM 20 :oops:

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
The Parasound P5 is a nice component. My Pioneer Elite 59-Avi Universal player has the Burr Brown DAC but no balanced outs however 6 ch analog and 2 ch analog plus coax digital or optical digital.

You would be going backwards with my AVM 20 by a football field. Back in 2004 I picked up my AVM 20 for $4K.
That was Anthems Flagship Pre/SSP at that time and it was the 2.0 model I guess the original AVM 20 needed a software upgrade from my research.

The AVM 20 is connected to my Anthem MCA 50 (5ch) amp. I would upgrade my AVM 20 to the 60 for some of the current processing formats and input but other than that I’m satisfied with my 20. I definitely am not bothered or in a rush to upgrade as am still buying DVDs and using a 720p projector.

For anyone out there that thinks that 720p is ancient well try feeding it with decent Blu-Ray or down sampled 4K HDR content and it will not disappoint!

As long as the source material is from a higher quality recording Even Digitally Remastered DVDs will pop!

If you watch enough different material on a 720p unit you can definitely see how using 4K film has improved home video and allowed older display units like 720p to reach its max quality something that was not realistic before 4K film.

Look how long it took Ridley Scott to get his original vision for Blade Runner right. Made in 1982 and the DVD Final Cut was released in 2007 pulled off 4K film. I have 2 copies and the 2007 smokes the original both for video and sound!

So older gear has way more advantages today with high quality sound and video source material available then was 20+ years ago!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't have any external amps to use it with and only your avr, you might be able to use the avr as an amp only (usually thru the multi-ch analog inputs). Whether you'd find this useful or not....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that's something you use with a separate amp. It's a nice unit and you got one hell of a bargain, that's for sure lol. Shell out some bucks and you've got the start of something pretty nice. Really depends on your interest level and finances.

S

skippy90210

Audiophyte
Okay, maybe I'll hang onto this untill I can set up a room just for home theater. I don't mind shelling out some bucks for an amp. I work at best buy so I can actually get 50 % off some nice marantz amplifiers. Maybe I could get something like that, now if I want do 5.2 with Ceiling speakers would I need a 7 channel amp? Or can I do whatever combos of Amps as long as I have enough for each channel?

S

skippy90210

Audiophyte
Also how long will this unit be practical for? If it's something that in a few years may be out of date I might wanna get something when im actually ready to set up a home theater room because that may be a while down the road. When did these get released anyways?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Anthem doesn't have the ceiling speaker capability for the likes of Atmos/DTS:X....it's just a 7.1 processor, no 4k video processing either. It can do 3D, tho! :) So essentially it's already out of date as far as latest audio/video codecs go. A Marantz 7055/8077 could work well with it, tho.....

(or is yours without the 3D designation? https://www.anthemav.com/products/model=d2v-3d/page=overview)

Last edited:
S

skippy90210

Audiophyte
I believe it is without 3d, I don't see anything on it indicating 3d. By the sounds of it someone like me would be better off with a nice avr. Maybe it's not better overall but I don't think I'd use this anthem for anything that would make it work keeping. Maybe sell it and put it towards a nice marantz avr being I can get one half off brand new

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe it is without 3d, I don't see anything on it indicating 3d. By the sounds of it someone like me would be better off with a nice avr. Maybe it's not better overall but I don't think I'd use this anthem for anything that would make it work keeping. Maybe sell it and put it towards a nice marantz avr being I can get one half off brand new
I think HD was just messing around since 3d is an all but abandoned format. Wouldn't really matter if it could.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
That’s what I would do, because I’m interested in 4K hdr and Atmos/ DTSX. If I wasn’t I would stick with the Anthem and get a nice amp. You’re discount makes it easier to stay with the latest surround formats.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
That’s what I was asking you about earlier. If Atmos/DTS:x is important to you and you want the processor to do something with 4K or act as a switcher between sources that model cannot do that the AVM 60 is capable. If your current AVR is capable then it’s really about creating cash to buy the equipment your going to need to set 7.2.4 or better.

The Statement D2v is a victim of technology evolution other than that it’s a work of mindful engineering! If in your situation I’d say the hell with Atmos/DTS:x and exploit that beast to the limit. You don’t need the processor to be involved with the 4K you just need a source component with audio only HDMI out and the audio/video out HDMI out. Then assign audio through the audio only HDMI and video through the other.

Unless Atmos/DTS:x are must haves!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think HD was just messing around since 3d is an all but abandoned format. Wouldn't really matter if it could.
Well I was looking at the D2v 3D page and wondered if the 3D was what he had or not since he didn't mention it (and thought it had a previous version but wasn't sure). Basically HDMI 1.4a and 1080p.....would work fine for my current setups! :) I still use 3D, too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I was looking at the D2v 3D page and wondered if the 3D was what he had or not since he didn't mention it (and thought it had a previous version but wasn't sure). Basically HDMI 1.4a and 1080p.....would work fine for my current setups! :) I still use 3D, too.
Do you actually watch stuff in 3d?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis