Need amp recommendation for Axiom

D

drnomad

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I currently have a Pioneer Elite 53TX, and I just ordered some Axiom M80ti's. &nbsp;What are some good (and relatively inexpensive) amps that I can add to my system to help drive these speakers? &nbsp;I have read about some from Adcom, Odyssey, and JoLida. &nbsp;I would really appreciate your advice!</font>

E

EdR

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I took a good look at axioms before stumbling over my Thiel deal. (sorry, couldn't resist).

They really are top line speakers and, as near as I can tell, will benefit from the best electronics you can give them.  In some of the reviews I read, the reviews say things like: &quot;it might seem odd to drive an 800 dollar pair of speakers (M60's) with $20,000 worth of electronics, but these are worth it&quot;

You didn't mention what you're going to be using them for, and what kind of music you like, as well as your budget.  My point above, isn't that you *have* to spend a bundle, but that the speakers you've gotten are that good, and whatever you get, you'll most likely be upgrading your electronics and keeping the speakers as you can afford to.

If you can live with what you've currently got  AND are interested in stereo, one thing you might want to consider is that Outlaw Audio is working on an Audiophile Receiver- the RR 2150.  It's supposed to be something special in two channel and will be in the neighborhood of $800.  BUT.. probably not until close to the end of the year.

Oh... and you do realize that these are 4 ohm speakers, and you'll need an amp that isn't unhappy with that arrangement.  Many mid-priced receivers seem not to play well with 4 ohm speakers.

Did you notice jdueitt's reply in the how to make a 2400 into a Z9 thread in this forum? &nbsp;If you're planning on recycling your receiver as a preamp, you probably couldn't do much better for the price than those Outlaw monoblocks.</font>

D

drnomad

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the advice regarding the Outlaw products. &nbsp;In fact, I went to the website, saw the sale they were having on the 950/7100 combo (b-stock with full warranty) for $1498 and got it! &nbsp;Cannot wait to here the M80's driven by separates.
Thanks again!</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis