Need advice updating a pretty old setup

T

TomT1949

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice here.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXI receiver, which I bought quite a number of years ago (2004?). I mostly use this for BluRay movies, my cable dvr, and some streaming. Until recently I've connected a Samsung 3D BluRay Player to the receiver via 7.1 analogue outputs. This has been ok, but I don't think the sound is as good as just going digitally out to the receiver, as I understand it, doing it this way uses the dacs and sound processing in the Samsung and not those in the Pioneer.

I have just replaced the Samsung bluray player with a newer Sony player which does not have the analogue outputs, and as the receiver is so old, there are no HDMI connections. So I have to use the digital coax out from the Sony (which also has an hdmi out for sound). I have to say the sound is much better, but I no longer get 7.1 sound as my side and rear surrounds are no longer separate, e.g. what plays (during a speaker id test) on the right side speaker also plays on the right back speaker.

As I bought all my equipment before I retired, even though I'd like to update my receiver, it's not ideal financially. However, I'm starting to consider replacing the Pioneer, but since it's been so long since I've shopped for a receiver, and since there are so many new sound formats now, I am looking for suggestions on what might be a good more or less comparable newer receiver that's not too expensive, e.g $2,000 or less. I see the Denon AVR-3600H is well reviewed on this site, and it's not too expensive.

The Pioneer is a great receiver, just out of date...

I should add that since retiring, I have moved to British Columbia Canada, where some things are not as readily available as in the US, and more expensive. On the plus side, most of my retirement income is in US funds which do well in exchange here.

Here's my setup:
Front speakers: B&W 703 x 2
Front center: B&W HTM7 x 1
Side Surrounds: B&W DS7 x 2
Rear Surrounds: B&W DM602 x 2
Subwoofer: Velodyne DD15 x 1
Display: Epson Powerlite 5030 projector and Stewart Filmscreen screen

Thanks in advance for any advice

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Since no answer yet, ill give it a go. The 3600 might work out very well, especially if you add an external amplifier to the front 2 or 3 channels. Depends a bit on how loud you play and size of room.
It could be good if no external amp to go to a little more powerful receiver model. Your speakers do like some juice and are good quality speakers.
If you go with the 3600 there is no reason why you cant try it out by itself and see if you are happy with that before considering external amplification for 2-3 channels. It has a full pre out set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TomT1949

Audiophyte
Since no answer yet, ill give it a go. The 3600 might work out very well, especially if you add an external amplifier to the front 2 or 3 channels. Depends a bit on how loud you play and size of room.
It could be good if no external amp to go to a little more powerful receiver model. Your speakers do like some juice and are good quality speakers.
If you go with the 3600 there is no reason why you cant try it out by itself and see if you are happy with that before considering external amplification for 2-3 channels. It has a full pre out set.

Thanks very much for your reply. Based on some advice and some research, I've decided to try the Marantz SR7013. I just found it on sale at Best Buy for 2k (Canadian) which is 1k less than regular price.

From what I've learned, this should work well with my current setup, as the power is pretty much the same as my Pioneer.

It does weigh only half as much tho, not sure if that means anything, but the Pioneer is built like a tank and weighs around 65 lbs.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

thanks again

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Looks like a nice choice. Marantz sounds very nice and has a lot of options. It might have a switching powersupply instead which makes it much lighter.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice here.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXI receiver, which I bought quite a number of years ago (2004?). I mostly use this for BluRay movies, my cable dvr, and some streaming. Until recently I've connected a Samsung 3D BluRay Player to the receiver via 7.1 analogue outputs. This has been ok, but I don't think the sound is as good as just going digitally out to the receiver, as I understand it, doing it this way uses the dacs and sound processing in the Samsung and not those in the Pioneer.

I have just replaced the Samsung bluray player with a newer Sony player which does not have the analogue outputs, and as the receiver is so old, there are no HDMI connections. So I have to use the digital coax out from the Sony (which also has an hdmi out for sound). I have to say the sound is much better, but I no longer get 7.1 sound as my side and rear surrounds are no longer separate, e.g. what plays (during a speaker id test) on the right side speaker also plays on the right back speaker.

As I bought all my equipment before I retired, even though I'd like to update my receiver, it's not ideal financially. However, I'm starting to consider replacing the Pioneer, but since it's been so long since I've shopped for a receiver, and since there are so many new sound formats now, I am looking for suggestions on what might be a good more or less comparable newer receiver that's not too expensive, e.g $2,000 or less. I see the Denon AVR-3600H is well reviewed on this site, and it's not too expensive.

The Pioneer is a great receiver, just out of date...

I should add that since retiring, I have moved to British Columbia Canada, where some things are not as readily available as in the US, and more expensive. On the plus side, most of my retirement income is in US funds which do well in exchange here.

Here's my setup:
Front speakers: B&W 703 x 2
Front center: B&W HTM7 x 1
Side Surrounds: B&W DS7 x 2
Rear Surrounds: B&W DM602 x 2
Subwoofer: Velodyne DD15 x 1
Display: Epson Powerlite 5030 projector and Stewart Filmscreen screen

Thanks in advance for any advice
I have the big brother to your receiver, a VSX-59TXI. These amps were an extremely high quality design with MOSFET driven output and high current capacity. They will always be some of the best sounding receivers that have been made.

I chose to upgrade my old DefTech speakers for RBH reference. The sound the Pioneer makes is phenomenal. If you want to play with the new codecs, or more than 7.1, then you have to move on. Your going to have to spend some serious money to improve the sound it can generate. I would invest your coin on newer improved speakers

My current setup consists of two RBH T2/R and three RBH SV-661/R. The sound they produce is heart stopping using the Pioneer. I will cry when this unit horks. It’s a tremendous cornerstone of my theater.

best of luck from a medically retired engineer.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I have the big brother to your receiver, a VSX-59TXI. These amps were an extremely high quality design with MOSFET driven output and high current capacity. They will always be some of the best sounding receivers that have been made.

I chose to upgrade my old DefTech speakers for RBH reference. The sound the Pioneer makes is phenomenal. If you want to play with the new codecs, or more than 7.1, then you have to move on. Your going to have to spend some serious money to improve the sound it can generate. I would invest your coin on newer improved speakers

My current setup consists of two RBH T2/R and three RBH SV-661/R. The sound they produce is heart stopping using the Pioneer. I will cry when this unit horks. It’s a tremendous cornerstone of my theater.

Yeah he should use his old amp in a 5ch set up in a different room , why do old amplifier have the short lived analog output?? I have a Sony amp with digital 5..1 but nothing exists to use it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TomT1949

Audiophyte

Thanks Cory, I appreciate your response. I've ordered the Marantz SR 7013, and hope it works out, from what I've read it sounds like a good choice. I'm hoping it is not a step down...

I'd really like to experience some of the new sound formats, bucket list kind of thing, not getting any younger

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like a nice choice. Marantz sounds very nice and has a lot of options. It might have a switching powersupply instead which makes it much lighter.

The SR7013 still has a large power transformer, so it doesn't appear to have a switching power supply. If it did, I think Marantz would have specified it in the list of features.
IMO, its power amplifiers operate in Class A/B as in their AVR past history.

They are just lighter because of lighter chassis construction and more use of plastic for the exterior finish.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis