Need advice on selecting speakers and crossover.

CreativeAsylum

CreativeAsylum

Audiophyte
Hello All! 1st admission, my speaker IQ is way below average. I am more of a enclosure designer and builder. I love to design and build enclosures but when it comes to filling the holes with sound...I am somewhat lost. Would like to ask for some advice on "good" speaker choice and crossover needed for the design I have posted. May not be an ideal layout, but it has a purpose. Main concern is that I like bass, not screaming highs. Will be used as main stereo speakers, not desktop or PC powered. I have plenty of power to drive them. Notes: 4" can go up to 5", may delete 1 of the 1", looking for mid-range price components

Thank you to anyone willing to share their expert advice.
Mini Tower design.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why do you need four 1" drivers? Sorry to tell you this, but that design is pretty bad on the face of it. Don't waste your cabinet making skills on such a problematic design. Get rid of all but one of the 1" drivers, and add another woofer. The crossover frequency should be selected when you determine what model drivers you want to use. Pick some good woofers and a good tweeter, and then we can give you some direction on an appropriate crossover point.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello All! 1st admission, my speaker IQ is way below average. I am more of a enclosure designer and builder. I love to design and build enclosures but when it comes to filling the holes with sound...I am somewhat lost. Would like to ask for some advice on "good" speaker choice and crossover needed for the design I have posted. May not be an ideal layout, but it has a purpose. Main concern is that I like bass, not screaming highs. Will be used as main stereo speakers, not desktop or PC powered. I have plenty of power to drive them. Notes: 4" can go up to 5", may delete 1 of the 1", looking for mid-range price components

Thank you to anyone willing to share their expert advice.
.View attachment 40471
You need to design the enclosure based on the drivers selected, not select drivers based on the enclosure.

My suggestion is to buy a kit that has the drivers, XO components, and schematics done for you, then build the cabinet.

CreativeAsylum

CreativeAsylum

Audiophyte
Why do you need four 1" drivers? Sorry to tell you this, but that design is pretty bad on the face of it. Don't waste your cabinet making skills on such a problematic design. Get rid of all but one of the 1" drivers, and add another woofer. The crossover frequency should be selected when you determine what model drivers you want to use. Pick some good woofers and a good tweeter, and then we can give you some direction on an appropriate crossover point.
You need to design the enclosure based on the drivers selected, not select drivers based on the enclosure.

My suggestion is to buy a kit that has the drivers, XO components, and schematics done for you, then build the cabinet.
Thank you! I understand and will look into that option. Let's just say the cabinet is already built and I am considering turning it into a speaker enclosure. Thanks again, Steve

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you! I understand and will look into that option. Let's just say the cabinet is already built and I am considering turning it into a speaker enclosure. Thanks again, Steve
Understood....and in that case....we like pics!

CreativeAsylum

CreativeAsylum

Audiophyte
Oh... I've got pics. Let me get this thing sorted out and I will be happy to reach out on several other builds I could use expert advice on. Thank You, Steve

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis