Need advice on room ceiling (to slant or not to slant)

E

Evan82

Audiophyte
Hi Guys, im a newbie here and also a newbie to this game, was hoping to seek some advice from the pros!

We are currently in the process of purchasing a home (now we live in an apartment, and have a 5.2.2 setup in my living room), and i have chosen one of the bedrooms to be a mini home theater (2 seater). The room is currently sort of an L shape but we are planning to knock down that wall to create a rectangular room which will be 11.5ft wide x 14.25 ft long. The room has a fairly sharped angled ceiling with the lowest point being about 11.5 ft high.

I thought of building a ceiling (either plaster board or wooded barn style) as from what ive seen, these angled ceilings can be a hit or miss. the advantage i can see if i go with the barn type ceiling is that i can double up the space above as an attic and the irregularity of the ceiling might help with reflections. I would like to know:

1.) Would it be better to be horizontal (0 degree) or have a slight incline which slopes down from the TV side to the seating side. I reckon i could get up to a 6-10 degree ceiling.

2.) what would be the ideal height of this ceiling? 9 feet is ok?

3.) Im currently using in ceiling atmos speakers, however, if i were to go with a barn type ceiling, i may go with the bookshelves mounted on the ceiling pointed towars to listenting position. would this work?

4.) i think my space might be a little small to pull off 7ch surround, so ill stick to 5ch surround for now, but in the future if i do upgrade my AVR, would a .4 atmos work or should i just stick to .2 atmos?

here are some pics of the room for reference.

Room 1.PNG

Room 2.PNG

Room 3.PNG

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Guys, im a newbie here and also a newbie to this game, was hoping to seek some advice from the pros!

We are currently in the process of purchasing a home (now we live in an apartment, and have a 5.2.2 setup in my living room), and i have chosen one of the bedrooms to be a mini home theater (2 seater). The room is currently sort of an L shape but we are planning to knock down that wall to create a rectangular room which will be 11.5ft wide x 14.25 ft long. The room has a fairly sharped angled ceiling with the lowest point being about 11.5 ft high.

I thought of building a ceiling (either plaster board or wooded barn style) as from what ive seen, these angled ceilings can be a hit or miss. the advantage i can see if i go with the barn type ceiling is that i can double up the space above as an attic and the irregularity of the ceiling might help with reflections. I would like to know:

1.) Would it be better to be horizontal (0 degree) or have a slight incline which slopes down from the TV side to the seating side. I reckon i could get up to a 6-10 degree ceiling.

2.) what would be the ideal height of this ceiling? 9 feet is ok?

3.) Im currently using in ceiling atmos speakers, however, if i were to go with a barn type ceiling, i may go with the bookshelves mounted on the ceiling pointed towars to listenting position. would this work?

4.) i think my space might be a little small to pull off 7ch surround, so ill stick to 5ch surround for now, but in the future if i do upgrade my AVR, would a .4 atmos work or should i just stick to .2 atmos?

here are some pics of the room for reference.

View attachment 37749
View attachment 37751
View attachment 37753
This is an interesting challenge I know the fellas will be up for it I'll hit u up tommorow I'm tired right now

Happy 4rth!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There should not be a problem with a slanted ceiling. As a matter of fact, acoustically it's preferable as it reduces room frequency modes within the room. If you prefer, you could lower the highest point a bit also.

E

Evan82

Audiophyte
There should not be a problem with a slanted ceiling. As a matter of fact, acoustically it's preferable as it reduces room frequency modes within the room. If you prefer, you could lower the highest point a bit also.
Thank you!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like the idea off the barn type of ceiling you get the added benefit of extra space up top and as you stated you can mount speakers for your heights instead of going with in ceiling which I personally feel is preferable ceiling speakers are good but still a compromise it's very challenging to find ones that have the best dispersion and can still have great off axis response

I love the idea of being able to point and direct the speakers to the preferred point of listening

If you go that route you should keep that ceiling fairly high at least 10 feet in my humble opinion

With speakers being mounted if the ceiling is too low it will be hard to separate the bed layer of speakers from your heights

E

Evan82

Audiophyte
I like the idea off the barn type of ceiling you get the added benefit of extra space up top and as you stated you can mount speakers for your heights instead of going with in ceiling which I personally feel is preferable ceiling speakers are good but still a compromise it's very challenging to find ones that have the best dispersion and can still have great off axis response

I love the idea of being able to point and direct the speakers to the preferred point of listening

If you go that route you should keep that ceiling fairly high at least 10 feet in my humble opinion

With speakers being mounted if the ceiling is too low it will be hard to separate the bed layer of speakers from your heights
Good point! Will take note of that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis