Need advice on first ever home theater

B

bubbrik

Audioholic Intern
When placing LCR speakers behind the false wall and AT screen, at what height should they go? Could they be on the floor or should I consider building a shelf for them? I read in some other threads that putting a sub behind an AT screen may cause the screen to move. Should I avoid placing the sub behind the AT screen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
When placing LCR speakers behind the false wall and AT screen, at what height should they go? Could they be on the floor or should I consider building a shelf for them? I read in some other threads that putting a sub behind an AT screen may cause the screen to move. Should I avoid placing the sub behind the AT screen?

Place the LCR so that their tweeters are as close to a seated person's ear level as is reasonably possible. Re: sub behind the screen, just put it wherever it sounds best. Do the subwoofer crawl thing. I guess whether the screen flexes depends on how well you stretched it over the frame. It should be taut. There's a pretty good tutorial on stretching a screen onto a frame at Carl's Place, and there are a few YouTube videos demonstrating if you search for "diy projector screen". If you end up with a commercially sold screen and frame, the frame probably has tensioners to exert the appropriate level of stretch.

Edit: Aw, snap! I just found some AT screen material on eBay.

Last edited:
B

bubbrik

Audioholic Intern
What should the distance be between the false wall for the ATA screen and the actual wall of the room behind the screen?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I would echo an earlier post on spend more on speakers than the receiver...

To make my point, I am still using the same 5 primary speakers I bought in 1996, but I'm on my 4th receiver (and I am a slow upgrader), third projector, and 5th (or maybe 6th) video source. The tech in receivers changes and you will want (or need) to upgrade later. However, speaker tech is pretty solid and if you buy correctly now, you may never need to buy speakers again.

B

bubbrik

Audioholic Intern
I would echo an earlier post on spend more on speakers than the receiver...

To make my point, I am still using the same 5 primary speakers I bought in 1996, but I'm on my 4th receiver (and I am a slow upgrader), third projector, and 5th (or maybe 6th) video source. The tech in receivers changes and you will want (or need) to upgrade later. However, speaker tech is pretty solid and if you buy correctly now, you may never need to buy speakers again.
Thank you @Bryce_H. I also shifted my planning to wiring, room prep etc. based on your advice.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis