Need advice about older tech

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could use a sub with high level inputs (i.e. speaker level). Maybe that pair of rca connections for output on the 4ch feature. Any bass management would need to be in the sub of course.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What is ' 4 CHANNEL OUTPUT'? That looks like it has RCA outputs for left and right channels which may be normal line level outputs tied to volume control. If so, then use those connections to your subwoofer. The internal low pass filter on the subwoofer will handle making sure the right stuff is played back.

EDIT: Looking at the back of the receiver, and it looks like you can't use the 4 Channel Output connection for normal line level output. So, you likely will need a subwoofer which has speaker level inputs on it, or you will need a speaker level to line level audio converter.

There are a ton of these on Crutchfield's website. Typically needed for car radios which may not have RCA connections on them...

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is ' 4 CHANNEL OUTPUT'? That looks like it has RCA outputs for left and right channels which may be normal line level outputs tied to volume control. If so, then use those connections to your subwoofer. The internal low pass filter on the subwoofer will handle making sure the right stuff is played back.

EDIT: Looking at the back of the receiver, and it looks like you can't use the 4 Channel Output connection for normal line level output. So, you likely will need a subwoofer which has speaker level inputs on it, or you will need a speaker level to line level audio converter.

There are a ton of these on Crutchfield's website. Typically needed for car radios which may not have RCA connections on them...
I'd also try those outputs for 4ch....someone else around here recently was hooking up a sub to an old receiver like this and had similar adaptor outputs which worked for a sub without high level inputs.....and the manual on page 7 does indicate you can hook up just a demodulator or decoder/amp so would think it's volume controlled as you thought....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Kenwood ka-4006 receiver that I want to hook a subwoofer up to. The problem is, there’s no specific port to plug the sub into.
This unit was set up for the old four channel quadraphonic decoders. You took off the plate and flipped the switch. Then you sent the out to the decoder, and connected the front out from the decoder to the four channel in. The output for the rears required a separate amp to drive the rear speakers.

Now if you get a couple of Y connectors, and loop one out of each of the Y-connectors to the left and right ins and connect the other branch of each Y connector to the left and right input of the sub, that should work for you. Your main speakers will still be full range, you can not avoid that without a modern AV receiver with bass management.

Set the crossover of the sub to the F3 of your speakers plus 50%.

That should work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'd also try those outputs for 4ch....someone else around here recently was hooking up a sub to an old receiver like this and had similar adaptor outputs which worked for a sub without high level inputs.....and the manual on page 7 does indicate you can hook up just a demodulator or decoder/amp so would think it's volume controlled as you thought....
I think the 4 channel input/output requires the source to be a 4 channel source with RCA outputs...

THAT SAID!!!

How about using the record out and running it into the 4 channel input? This way there is a matching stereo source to the main zone, it should be volume controlled, and it is easy to do. Then hook up the 4 channel output connection to the subwoofer and call it done.

highfigh

highfigh

First, that's an integrated amplifier and the diagram showing a separate tuner should tell someone that it's not a receiver.

Second, I hope you don't believe this will be capable of high output because the specs show it to be rated at 34W/channel.

TLS is right- use y cords and connect to the sub- that's the only way it will work so that you'll be able to control the sub's level.

highfigh

highfigh

I think the 4 channel input/output requires the source to be a 4 channel source with RCA outputs...

THAT SAID!!!

How about using the record out and running it into the 4 channel input? This way there is a matching stereo source to the main zone, it should be volume controlled, and it is easy to do. Then hook up the 4 channel output connection to the subwoofer and call it done.
REC Out is always fixed level, so it would be running at WOT if it were connected to the 4 ch input- the Output jacks are after the VC and there's no VC on the processor or power amp used for the front channels (the manual shows that the Kenwood is assigned to the rear).

The fact that it has two phono inputs and a DIN jack for one of the tape decks tells me this is from the mid-late '70s.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis