Need a sub recommendation

M

MikeyB

Enthusiast
Hi everybody - I'm looking for a sub to go with my new home theater. I'm not looking for earth shattering volume levels, in fact, i probably rarely will get to listen to this the way I want However, for most things, I want it to go low and strong. Probably a mix of 50-50 music-movies, but if I had to choose, I would pick music first. Budget of around 1000-1500. I don't want to go too much higher, but will at least consider it I can find the right sub.

Some of the nice-to-haves:
EQ - to deal with any strange dips or peaks
remote
I would like to be able to walk around the thing in less than an hour (i.e. space/WAF is sort of a factor)

My room dimentions are about 15.5' x 21' x 7.5', with about a 750 cu. ft vaulted ceiling over half of the room (total of about 3300ish cu. ft) This will be used with the Energy RC-70 mains, center, and surrounds. Denon 3806 receiver.

So far, I'm interested in:
Velodyne SPL-1200R
Axiom EP-500

Anything else I should look at?
To sum up: Music, low, strong, but not bring-the-house down loud.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The others I would throw in there would be the HSU VTF-3 MkII HO and the SVS PB-12 Plus/2.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
MikeyB said:
I'm not looking for earth shattering volume levels, in fact, i probably rarely will get to listen to this the way I want However, for most things, I want it to go low and strong.
My experience shows that those characteristics tend to go hand-in-hand. To get a sub that can go low, deep, and strong....well, the other thing comes included.....LOL

I have the SVS PB-12/plus2, and it will do all of those. Of course, you wont have to turn it up to 'earth shattering' SPL levels unless you choose to do so, but at least you'll know you've got the reserve in the tank if the urge strikes. For the price/performance ratio, I'd take the SVS all day long. Just be aware that it's a large sub.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Space and WAF being one of my restrictions, I bought an SVS PC Ultra....and couldn't be more pleased.

Mort

S

Steve42

Audioholic
MikeyB said:
I was going to recommend the Earthquake MKV-15, but then I saw that last requirement. :)
With any sub it's always best to have more headroom, no one says you have to turn it up unless you want too.

The MKV-15 with give you the best of all these and give you the ability to have more SPL than anything else you can find in the price range. Consider the fact that it and the Ultra/2 were lab tested in JJ's (of Secrets in different reviews) room and with the 20Hz, 31.5Hz, and 50Hz three tone combined test. The MKV-15 had 3dB more clean output at 120dB than the 117dB of the Ultra/2 and it was only tested using 25Hz, 31.5Hz and 40Hz using its native tune of 25Hz.

Music and midbass punch is definately it's strong suite. Instead of re-iterating myself, just do a search on MKV-15 and find out why.

P.S. It has a small foot print too of about 17.5" cubed.

N

naisphoo

Banned
MikeyB said:
Hi everybody - I'm looking for a sub to go with my new home theater. I'm not looking for earth shattering volume levels, in fact, i probably rarely will get to listen to this the way I want However, for most things, I want it to go low and strong. Probably a mix of 50-50 music-movies, but if I had to choose, I would pick music first. Budget of around 1000-1500. I don't want to go too much higher, but will at least consider it I can find the right sub.

Some of the nice-to-haves:
EQ - to deal with any strange dips or peaks
remote
I would like to be able to walk around the thing in less than an hour (i.e. space/WAF is sort of a factor)

My room dimentions are about 15.5' x 21' x 7.5', with about a 750 cu. ft vaulted ceiling over half of the room (total of about 3300ish cu. ft) This will be used with the Energy RC-70 mains, center, and surrounds. Denon 3806 receiver.

So far, I'm interested in:
Velodyne SPL-1200R
Axiom EP-500

Anything else I should look at?

Thanks!
NOOOO, you're kidding right?

G

ggunnell

Audioholic
A very satisfied Ultra owner myself, for you I would choose the Velodyne.

Vaulted ceilings can make big dead zones -- you may need to locate the sub near your seating area, in which case a smaller box might be an advantage.
Also the Velodyne has great built in EQ.

If you CAN fit in the SVS tri-ported box, however, I'd get the new Plus driver -- a PB12/Plus -- and a Velodyne SMS-1 EQ. I think that's the most tunable bass you can get within your budget. YMMV etc etc :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis