Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Hey gang I need a new laptop that is multi-purpose. My budget is $600 max. Any suggestions that you guys can offer will be appreciated.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A bit more details wont hurt : Any preferences on screen size,mobility/battery life,weight? Are you intend to play games (Crysis etc, Not minesweeper) on the laptop?
But in general stay with bigger brands: HP,Asus and Dell. Others ok too, but not as good: Acer, Toshiba, Fujitsu.
Look for deals at: slickdeals.net/woot.com etc...

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
A bit more details wont hurt : Any preferences on screen size,mobility/battery life,weight? Are you intend to play games (Crysis etc, Not minesweeper) on the laptop?
But in general stay with bigger brands: HP,Asus and Dell. Others ok too, but not as good: Acer, Toshiba, Fujitsu.
Look for deals at: slickdeals.net/woot.com etc...
13-15in for the screen
weight 5.5lbs Max.
Some gaming but will be use mostly for school.
battery life 3 hours

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dell consumer products are junk. They use the worst binned parts, while putting the best binned parts in the business class machines. Inspirons vs Latitudes for example.

HP has been very reliable for me, BUT their parts are crazy expensive.

Gateway today has come out with very reliable, well designed machines. I'm a big fan right now.

Asus makes great ones, but they tend to be a bit pricier than their HP/Gateway comparables.

STAY AWAY FROM APPLE. Overpriced and underpowered. The selling point for Apple is the OS, not the hardware!!! I wish people would get that through their heads already... Mac OS runs on x86 hardware now, get over it fanboys...

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
can you load mac os on a pc?if you reformated the hard drive?

Nemo128

Nemo128

can you load mac os on a pc?if you reformated the hard drive?
Doable, yes. For the novice, no. As easy as installing Mac OS on a Mac or Windows on an OEM PC? No.

Oh, it's also not likely to work on a laptop. I was getting off-topic due to my hatred of Apple. My apologies. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I Really hope Nemo's comments wont start yet another flame war, but I don't share some of his extreme opinions.
First of all let me state this : I don't own any Apple products, but the iphone. I been building my own pc's since 80x486 and I do know thing or two about them...

YMMV with Dell's and their support, but surely business models have been consistently better. I had heard curses AND praises about HP support (from the same person believe it not) and in fact even HP business support which I use quite frequently could be spotty.

A thing or two about Apple hardware and their OS: Then you buy apple (in your case it's over your budget anyways, unless 2nd hand/refub) you get top notch design and best parts (for the budget).

Is apple products oriented towards higher end consumer - absolutely - but then you don't see Prada/LV on sale in TJ-Max. Is Apple charging extra for the design - sure.
To buy or not buy is question you'll need to answer yourself...

One more brand worth mentioning is Lenovo.

I haven't dealt recently with Gateway, but talking about bottom scrappers... Stay the heck away...

While Asus got some top-notch models, they make excellent and budget friendly gaming rigs

My recommendation based on your specs is below:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114702

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
if apples are lower end hardware then why does wondows run faster on a mac? while it has mac os installed too??

Nemo128

Nemo128

if apples are lower end hardware then why does wondows run faster on a mac? while it has mac os installed too??
You're comparing apples to oranges... hehehe...

Macs do not come with excessive bloat, which is one of the reasons they cost so much. Conventional PCs, however, are full of bloated trial software and useless add-ons. It decreases end user cost along with out-of-box performance.

That's why I suggest NO systems that are pre-buit. Even laptops. Buy a barebones and put in the elbow grease. The end product always turns out far better.

Also, "run faster" is totally subjective. Without quantitative benchmark results (yes they exist but they are also apples to oranges), comparisons are meaningless. There's a reason your cheapest Dell tops out at <$400, and it's not just cuz the hardware is inexpensive.

Nowhere did I say low-end hardware. It uses the same hardware as your current Wintel (Windows + Intel, since basically everything we love about PCs today was developed by Intel) PCs! Just at a price premium.

For the record, no one can tout Apples as having top-notch anything. When you have to deal with the volume of some of these OEMs, like Dell, you have far more to manage. When I walk around this building (6K acre govt facility) and see a Mac on every desk, then we can talk about how top-notch they really are. That's thinking along the same lines as Firefox being the "most secure" browser. When Mozilla has even half the market share IE does, I'll say a few prayers for FF users.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey gang I need a new laptop that is multi-purpose. My budget is $600 max. Any suggestions that you guys can offer will be appreciated.
I bought a Dell Vostro, which is from their business line and I went with this one because I didn't want Vista, which was about the only OS they were selling to consumers at the time. It also came with 1 year of US-based tech support. It has a 15" screen, DVD burner and I'm a happy camper with it. I can't think of anything I don't like about it, other than the fact that I keep hitting the freakin' button next to the left arrow but that's not the computer's fault.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I am looking into getting a laptop with Windows 7, also looking into getting one with 2GB or better of Ram and with at least a 250GB HDD. I have looked into some of the following companies HP,Dell,Asus and Toshiba. Which one of these would offer the most bang for the buck. Thanks again.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Here's apples vs apples official/3rd party/trusted benchmark:
http://www.macworld.com/article/50321/2006/04/xpbenchmarks.html

MacBook Pro with same cpu as pc and os is faster.
I won't even point out the multiple flaws with that article, but the Worldbench score says all that needs to be said regarding the OS being "faster"... the Mac can't even win in a Macworld article...

I am looking into getting a laptop with Windows 7, also looking into getting one with 2GB or better of Ram and with at least a 250GB HDD. I have looked into some of the following companies HP,Dell,Asus and Toshiba. Which one of these would offer the most bang for the buck. Thanks again.
Stay away from Dell Inspirons, you can expect a hefty bill if you need repairs on an HP, Asus is perfectly fine, and Toshiba is overpriced for what you get.

And you can let people's 10 year old opinions of Gateways steer you away, but that'd be your mistake to make. Most people who dislike Gateways haven't used one since the the cow commercial days. I was using them long before that, and they did suck back then. So did Hyundais. :)

If you buy ANY Windows PC and leave the included software as is, you're basically asking for problems. If you leave the included security settings as is, you're asking for problems.

Last edited:
Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
So Nemo in your opinion the and Asus or Gateway would offer the most bang for the buck.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
This is bring you plenty bang for a buck - c'mon - dedicated video card on laptop under $600 ?? Good luck finding alternatives
I must have missed this, It' looks like it might fit the bill thanks. 1? it does not mention if I could upgrade the ram that is something I might consider down the line.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I must have missed this, It' looks like it might fit the bill thanks. 1? it does not mention if I could upgrade the ram that is something I might consider down the line.
Memory Slot (Total) 2
Memory Slot (Available) 0
Max Memory Supported 8GB
Answer is Yes, you can upgrade the ram, just buy this set to max-out your ram. Not cheap, but 4Gb so-dimms are never really cheap.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
That's a pretty good linked laptop, the discreet graphics card is hard to find in budget pcs. I second the Lenovo suggestion, they're owned by IBM and the nicer models have some good features such as x-braced screens and hard drives with retractable arms to avoid damaging the platters. Keep your eye of slickdeals/fatwallet and you'll score a nice deal before too long.

And on any new pc, try out pc decrapifier, and manually remove all the crap they're loaded with. I recommend ccleaner for cleaning temp files and managing start up items as well...microsoft security essentials is a great free security program...so on and so forth, check around for countless suggestions on programs.

Nemo128

Nemo128

I would strongly recommend you go to a store and play with a laptop before buying anything based on specs. I've seen many people do this and not as many actually be satisfied when they cracked open the package. Laptops have a personal value to them, and if you don't like how it feels or looks, you'll hate it no matter how good it looks on paper. Particularly, the screen resolution at the size you plan to buy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis