Need a little help with speaker "Break In"

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I just purchased a Pair of Focals Aria 936, CC900, and a pair of 906 sides. I understand there is a break in period to achieve optimum performance.

I would appreciate any help with how to "break them in" and when will I know when they are broken in?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
No break in needed. Just listen and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just use them, you'll be the one doing more of yhe break-in.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. Speaker break-in is a myth. It's about you getting used to them.

The Speaker designers I've talked to will tell you that they may loosen up a stiff suspension for an hour, but beyond that... nothing. Even most of the T/S Parameters don't change significantly enough to really bother with it.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
So it's just a bunch of hype to make themselves sound important?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So it's just a bunch of hype to make themselves sound important?
Pretty much....or to extend the period in which you can easily return the item (i.e. you can't return it yet, you haven't put enough hours on the speaker/amp/doohickey)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed. Speaker break-in is a myth. It's about you getting used to them.

The Speaker designers I've talked to will tell you that they may loosen up a stiff suspension for an hour, but beyond that... nothing. Even most of the T/S Parameters don't change significantly enough to really bother with it.
From my own experience, most but not all woofers will undergo a loosening of the suspension after 5 to 10 hours of play, but this has, as you mentioned, a very little effect on the Thiele-Small parameters used for developing box volume and port tuning.

The reason is that the Fs/Qts ratios remain constant before and after break-in. In the case of a ported enclosure, no tuning adjustment needs to be done.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Pretty much....or to extend the period in which you can easily return the item (i.e. you can't return it yet, you haven't put enough hours on the speaker/amp/doohickey)
Could also be they hope you'll change your mind by getting use to them. "Ah they do sound better after 100 hours" I always felt if you don't like them to start - you won't like them in the end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Could also be they hope you'll change your mind by getting use to them. "Ah they do sound better after 100 hours" I always felt if you don't like them to start - you won't like them in the end.
Yeah, that's the sort of thing I was referring to. Mostly relying on other than factual information in any case....just preying upon the audiophools

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I just purchased a Pair of Focals Aria 936, CC900, and a pair of 906 sides. I understand there is a break in period to achieve optimum performance.

I would appreciate any help with how to "break them in" and when will I know when they are broken in?
Almost as critical as cable break in.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You don't need any help. Most speakers are broken in almost right away. For the most part break in is a myth. A very persistent one, but not really a thing. One of my hypotheses on it is that it's more of a break in period for the listener to adjust to the new voicing than it is the speaker. Just use and enjoy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do people really fall for that crap?
Look at Audioquest, Nordost, MIT, Wireworld and many others out there for the meat of the cable nonsense....the burn in thing isn't quite as large even among those nuts but still a few offerings out there if you look around (if you want full disgust check out the many cable brands/offerings/pricing at the Mapleshade store)....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis