Need a good receiver for PS3 HDMI setup

B

bigmarky

Audiophyte
hey guys new to the forum..

i've got a 42" lcd with every hookup known to man.. 2 hdmi's 2 dvi's etc etc

i've got room for a new stereo setup

ps3 only uses 5.1 surrond thru optical, so im gonna make use of the hdmi output for a 7.1 setup and have it run to my receiver and then to my lcd

main questions are:
1. can a hdmi receiver with a passthru setup work
2. or it must be a hi dollar receiver that has something to decode the hdmi signal to turn it into audio for 7.1 then obv the output to the tv

thank you in advance
i know the cheaper sony hdmi's are just passthru and literally are just a hub

:D

ruk

Enthusiast
Well I am told that the PS3 uses HDMI 1.3, allthough no reciever at this time has 1.3 only 1.2 so with that being said you will have to run opt hookup to get 5.1. Or so I am told from my Sony Rep ( i saddly work in retail)

B

bigmarky

Audiophyte
so wut if my receiver only has hdmi 1.1 does it not even push the signal thru at all??

that wouldnt make any sense...would seem that it supports 1.3 as i dont even see any 1.3 out atm.

hmm

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
bigmarky said:
ps3 only uses 5.1 surrond thru optical, so im gonna make use of the hdmi output for a 7.1 setup and have it run to my receiver and then to my lcd
It'll still be a 5.1 signal. A 7 channel AVR can Pro*Logic the back channels, but you don't need HDMI to do it.

ruk

Enthusiast
But doesnt Blu Ray and HD DVD have uncompresed PCM 7 channel audio? How would I get that to play? Cant use optical and HDMI 1.2 doesnt suport it to my knolage, so is there a way to get that or is it a w8ing game for new recievers that handle HDMI .3?

M

MichaelJHuman

Audioholic
No RX I know of currently does HDMI 1.3 nor do any have DD+ or TrueHD decoders.

There would seem to be a confusing transition period until this happens.

In the mean time, the PS3 probably can encode a movie's audio to Dolby Digital and/or DTS and send that stream over HDMI.

With all the reported HDMI issues, and lack of support for these new audio formats, IMHO the consumer electronics industry has done the consumer a disservice.

B

bigmarky

Audiophyte
i agree thats pretty bad

so its not even worth investing in something atm

the receiver i wanted to buy has hdmi 1.1 not even 1.2

im not really lookin to spend 1.5k on a receiver

im sure a new ps3 patch will come out to pave out some off these bumpy issues

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

ruk said:
But doesnt Blu Ray and HD DVD have uncompresed PCM 7 channel audio? How would I get that to play? Cant use optical and HDMI 1.2 doesnt suport it to my knolage, so is there a way to get that or is it a w8ing game for new recievers that handle HDMI .3?
HDMI 1 - 1.2, TosLink (fiber optic), Digital RCA will all do DD5.1 upto DTS-ES 6.1. Any 7.1 AVR can Pro*Logic any audio signal to use all 7 loudspeakers.

Discreet 7.1 is only potentially possible with Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Lossless. Future HD players may decode these 7.1 channels (and any AVR with 7.1 inputs could use them), but to connect them digitally you'll need HDMI 1.3

-HOWEVER-

As of right now, there are no discreet 7.1 soundtracks. On any format. HD-DVDs few titles that have Dolby TrueHD and all 5.1, and Blu*Rays titles that have either lossless PCM or DTS Master Lossless also have limited themselves to 5.1.

ruk

Enthusiast
So long story short. What is better sound from HD dvd, PS3, Bluray players use toslink or run the adio through HDMI ( i have a Poineer elite 82 HDMI 1.2) On my PS3 I set it to HDMI only to reciever and it is decoding it corectly I can only use my THX cinma mode or PCM mode.. I assume that those 2 options is better than using opt cale for audio? This is a game on PS 3 restane not a Blu-ray movie keep in mind. The PS3 has a issue playing BR movies. If you dont have a 1080P moniter like I do he PS3 down converts the video signal to 480P thus making 5ch audio not possible over HDMI. Hopefully will be fixed next software update for ps3!

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

BEST AUDIO HOOK-UP (until AVRs can decode newer codecs)

[Stand Alone HD-DVD Player, Blu*Ray player] - Attach audio to your AVR via the 6 RCA audio outputs. Allowing the player to properly decode Dolby TrueHD/ DTS Master Lossless/ PCM.

[XBox 360] - Fiber optic cable. Allows Dolby Digital and DTS to pass through to AVR.

[Playstation 3] - HDMI or Optical. Both allow the exact same Dolby Digital or DTS signal to pass through to your AVR.

[Nintendo Wii] - ???

ruk

Enthusiast
If that is true how is it that when i have audio from PS3 comming from HDMI I have alot less THX DSP options than with opt? Futher more PCM is not an option when using opt. cable? is it really the same audio? There is no way to get "uncompresed multi channel audio" with a ps3 with a game or movie?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

ruk said:
If that is true how is it that when i have audio from PS3 comming from HDMI I have alot less THX DSP options than with opt?
Hmmm.... This needs further exploration. Please send me your PS3 and I'll give it an extensive evaluation for a month or so. ;) But it sounds like a problem (feature?) with your AVR.
Futher more PCM is not an option when using opt. cable?
PCM can be transferred via optical. PCM is the codec used by CDs & LDs (that I'm aware of).
There is no way to get "uncompresed multi channel audio" with a ps3 with a game or movie?
I'm not certain about the games (do they have uncompressed 196/24 audio?), but until AVRs can decode DolbyTrue/DTS-Lossless your HDMI capable PS3 will be unable to play that lossless signal on Blu*Ray movies because it has no 8-channel audio outputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis