NEC Projector current draw

H

Hendrikpp

Audiophyte
Hi
I am looking at buying 2 NEC PA653UL projectors to stack them to create 1 projection image, but when looking at the input current specification I am in doubt if this is going to work. The input current specification states it goes from 4.5A to 10.2A, which seems unnaturally high. The maximum wattage is 672W and Voltage goes from 100 to 240V, but I've attached the spec sheet below.

1. Now I would like to know if this 10.2A is accurate because it seems too high?
  2. And if so, I thought that laser projectors are supposed to be more energy efficient than lamp based projectors, but when comparing this projector to the PA653U (its lamp based brother), this projector (PA653UL) draws much more current?
  3. If the 10.2A is not correct how can I know what the required current is?
(I am from South Africa so the Voltage that the projector will run on is 230V)

I've attached the spec sheet of this projector but others are available online.

Thank you!

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
10.2A sounds like inrush current draw. 672W is right on 5.6 amps, so I would expect normal current draw to be around that much. I would expect that a peak would be 10.2A at power on for inrush current.

Not sure why you thought laser projectors were more power efficient. They are not. Lasers are not an 'economical' lighting source. But, the light output is much more consistent, and the solid-state light engine is much more durable over time.

You can always contact NEC directly and ask them for clarification. I call manufacturers all the time with specific questions about their products. Including NEC.

Not sure how you are going to create '1 projection image', as this isn't always as easy as it sounds. Projectors must be color calibrated to very exact measurements to ensure a proper edge blend, or butting, or overlay. That process typically must be repeated monthly or so for best results over the long term.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis