Nearfield sub placement

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Hi. Thinking to try putting my subs just behind the sofa to compare this to my current setup. In the this new configuration from my ear level the sub will not be visible due to the sofa back. Will YPAO calculate the distance as the one from the sub to the ceiling and back to my LP? In this case i will lose the whole point of nearfield placement. The question not just about YPAO but in general about getting higher max spl.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
It will not calculate the distance from the sub to the ceiling. Subs radiate 360 degrees, so it will attempt to calculate the distance from the mic to the sub. Nearfield takes almost all room issues away, and gives you more umph when needed. Lol

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I have a huge leather sofa with high back which will reduce sub level significanly. That is why i am concerned. Dont want to move dubs if that does not make sense.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
The couch will not cause any issues, other than vibrations when playing loud while sitting on the sofa. It is awesome. Haha. I run 4 18" subs behind my couch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a huge leather sofa with high back which will reduce sub level significanly. That is why i am concerned. Dont want to move dubs if that does not make sense.
I doubt your couch will affect the subs the way you think it might (while a leather couch may reflect higher frequencies more easily, would think the sub will barely be affected by the couch, heck walls often don't mean a lot).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just to reiterate, your sofa will be pretty transparent at 20Hz-80Hz

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, the couch won’t affect that at all. I have tried near field before. I wasn’t able to integrate them with the rest of the system. Didn’t like it. IMO unless it’s really simple for you to try, I don’t think it’s worth the effort.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Cool. Based on responses it looks like experiment might be worth it)))

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis