Nearfield Sub for Mid Bass

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have been using an older Polk PSW505 as a near field Mid Bass Module putting a high pass filter on it and integrating it in with a MiniDSP HD (~40-80). It is an inferior sub to the other subs in that room. I know the rule of thumb is don't mix inferior subs in. However in this exact situation, does it matter the quality of the sub within reason to tune for ~40-80?

The Polk is still working but at times puts out a static noise so I think it might go bad soon. It fits perfectly underneath a end table next to the couch up there right next to where I sit. I don't think I want to buy a replacement AMP for $180 frankly for that sub (I only paid $199 plus shipping like 12 years ago). I could buy an Infinity R12 for this use for $169 brand new with warranty. I could just throw it away and use the subs that are in there just fine. Or I could buy a nicer sub for the purpose but it has to be 18 inches or lower to fit with the WAF factor

Welcome all opinions as that's what makes this fun

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What are the other Subs... Budget...

???

:)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have been using an older Polk PSW505 as a near field Mid Bass Module putting a high pass filter on it and integrating it in with a MiniDSP HD (~40-80). It is an inferior sub to the other subs in that room. I know the rule of thumb is don't mix inferior subs in. However in this exact situation, does it matter the quality of the sub within reason to tune for ~40-80?

The Polk is still working but at times puts out a static noise so I think it might go bad soon. It fits perfectly underneath a end table next to the couch up there right next to where I sit. I don't think I want to buy a replacement AMP for $180 frankly for that sub (I only paid $199 plus shipping like 12 years ago). I could buy an Infinity R12 for this use for $169 brand new with warranty. I could just throw it away and use the subs that are in there just fine. Or I could buy a nicer sub for the purpose but it has to be 18 inches or lower to fit with the WAF factor

Welcome all opinions as that's what makes this fun
Don't you have a monith M-215? If you do Even for nearfield and midbass I'd want a sub a Lil more capable then that one to keep up with that monster

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Don't you have a monith M-215? If you do Even for nearfield and midbass I'd want a sub a Lil more capable then that one to keep up with that monster
yes but for this setup non matching subs unfortunately but good ones. Pb2000 and a rythmik fv15hp.

As for budget, goal is to not put a ton of money to this unles the payoff is great. Otherwise I’ll just turn up those two. But I do notice I get a tactile feeling from the nearfield presently

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
yes but for this setup non matching subs unfortunately but good ones. Pb2000 and a rythmik fv15hp.

As for budget, goal is to not put a ton of money to this unles the payoff is great. Otherwise I’ll just turn up those two. But I do notice I get a tactile feeling from the nearfield presently
I would say a pb 1000 pro would be totally badass as a nearfield midbass module but they are about to jack the prices up. The RSL speedwoofer 10s would be a good one for what your using it for but it sells out so fast you'd have to see if it's in stock

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are the other Subs... Budget...

???

:)

Aren't you mixing ported and sealed also?

My solution for nearfield was to get another ported sub close in performance to the ones I already had and set it up right behind me. I've got puh-lenty of tactile response now.

I think Zilla's suggestion of a PB1000 Pro or Speedwoofer would work pretty well nearfield.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
No these are all ported. I’m also curious about those that have used a behringer 1200d-pro for this purpose. It would hide under a table. None used for a good price in my town though.

thanks for your replies. Will stay put but will look out for a few options as I wait for my 505 amp to fully die

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Aren't you mixing ported and sealed also?

My solution for nearfield was to get another ported sub close in performance to the ones I already had and set it up right behind me. I've got puh-lenty of tactile response now.

I think Zilla's suggestion of a PB1000 Pro or Speedwoofer would work pretty well nearfield.
Question then, I can get a replacement AMP from Polk for the PSW505 that sites perfectly under my end table. As a reminder, that has a high pass filter on it at 40 so it really only is going to play 40-80 while letting the main subs do the real work down low. That AMP would cost me ~150 including shipping and tax.

I can also get a RSL Speedwoofer for $300 that the seller claims is New In Box. That is a 10 vs the Polk which is a 12. Assume the RSL is great for a 10. I need to research the capability of the two vs. each other but if anyone knows, I'm glad to get your facts/opinions.

Other option is I just forget the near field option and use my main subs and that would be fine too.

By the way, the issue on the 505 presently is it putts out a static sound for a while. Then somehow there is a small pop like it kicks in. And then works great from there on out. So I don't know what component inside the AMP is wearing out and if it was a cap or something I don't know if that would be easy to replace but that might be a wild goose chase to try to fix such a sub/amp.

Thanks, welcome any other thoughts

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've read posts a few times from people having contacted Polk and getting some unexpected free replacements. I take it you've already contacted Polk and been told it's $150? Subs generally only have a low pass filter. You might look for Brent Butterworth's sub testing, believe he might have tested both.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, I was using the Mini DSP to put the high pass filter on it as that is how the sub was incremental for the room when doing my REW for the setup.

Great advice. I'm going to try and try again with Polk customer service to see if I can get a break on the $150. Worth a shot

I'll also look at the testing and see what he found for those two subs if I can find it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Question then, I can get a replacement AMP from Polk for the PSW505 that sites perfectly under my end table. As a reminder, that has a high pass filter on it at 40 so it really only is going to play 40-80 while letting the main subs do the real work down low. That AMP would cost me ~150 including shipping and tax.

I can also get a RSL Speedwoofer for $300 that the seller claims is New In Box. That is a 10 vs the Polk which is a 12. Assume the RSL is great for a 10. I need to research the capability of the two vs. each other but if anyone knows, I'm glad to get your facts/opinions.

Other option is I just forget the near field option and use my main subs and that would be fine too.

By the way, the issue on the 505 presently is it putts out a static sound for a while. Then somehow there is a small pop like it kicks in. And then works great from there on out. So I don't know what component inside the AMP is wearing out and if it was a cap or something I don't know if that would be easy to replace but that might be a wild goose chase to try to fix such a sub/amp.

Thanks, welcome any other thoughts
I like the Speedwoofer option, but I'd follow HD's advice first and contact Polk to see if you get lucky with a replacement.

I've never tried to do a mid bass setup so I really don't know how easy or difficult it is, but like I said my nearfield solution was to just get a third sub with the same performance specs as the other 2. From what I've read I think the RSL would likely outperform the Polk, but pretty much irrelevant if you're using it for mid bass. You could get an 8" sub for that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Kleinst are you in Phoenix? There are a pair of Mirage Nano subs in craigslist for $70. $40 for just one of them. Might make for great little mid bass thumpers.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Nah I'm in Texas. I didn't set out to have a mid bass setup there. I just had upgraded my subs and had the Polk which was my old sub. The space was difficult for bass so I bought a Mini DSP to try to dial it in. I put the Polk near field. I was ready to sell off the Polk but I did find through my sweeps where the Polk in that spot was incremental but it was in that 40-80 range where it helped. Below that it wasn't helpful and its inferior to the other subs.. So I was happy to have a purpose for it and I can feel the tactile response in that area with it being closer.

So my temptation is since it's already aligned with a filter from REW I might just buy the replacement AMP. (Going to try to get one free). I called and they are out so I'll have to try again in a few weeks when they get more in.

I will probably miss out on the RSW in the process if I wait so I'll probably review that next few days. But I don't know if it's necessarily needed so I don't intend to put a bunch of money down on this because it's not totally needed.

Those 8's Pogre might have been interesting but not in Phoenix.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I was using the Mini DSP to put the high pass filter on it as that is how the sub was incremental for the room when doing my REW for the setup.

Great advice. I'm going to try and try again with Polk customer service to see if I can get a break on the $150. Worth a shot

I'll also look at the testing and see what he found for those two subs if I can find it.
LOL didn't scroll back to see about the minidsp....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a 505 in my house in a similar implementation. I would go for the rsl. My Polk only runs from about 27 to 40ish because it totally sucks crossed any higher than that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis