Near field Center Channel Speaker

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
My bookshelf mains including the center channel tweeters, are at ear level. Read below Signature for my speakers. I have a 55" 4 KTV screen, front mains are 6 feet apart and 7 feet from listening distance. The TV screen and Center channel are 6-1/2 feet from viewing and listening distance. The Center Channel is 5" below the bottom edge of the TV screen in an open air environment. What is required to get the TV person dialog to come or blend in with who is speaking on the screen. My ears are drawn to the center channel for dialog and not coming from the TV screen. My HT room is in an Open Air basement with concrete walls, would rafters, and carpeted floor.

I have tried, Klipsch RP-400C[4" woofers, 8ohm] / Psb Imagine XC[5" woofers, 8ohm] / Elac 2.0 C5.2,[5" woofers, 8ohm] The closest dialogue to feel like it is coming from the screen, is the Klipsch RP-400C.

I use the speaker calibration from the Denon AVR. Can my issue be resolved? I really don't want to move further back from the screen, if that is the solution. I have tried decreasing the db on the center channel, but, there is really no change. Perhaps go back again to the Klipsch, which seems to be a more near field speaker?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My bookshelf mains including the center channel tweeters, are at ear level. Read below Signature for my speakers. I have a 55" 4 KTV screen, front mains are 6 feet apart and 7 feet from listening distance. The TV screen and Center channel are 6-1/2 feet from viewing and listening distance. The Center Channel is 5" below the bottom edge of the TV screen in an open air environment. What is required to get the TV person dialog to come or blend in with who is speaking on the screen. My ears are drawn to the center channel for dialog and not coming from the TV screen. My HT room is in an Open Air basement with concrete walls, would rafters, and carpeted floor.

I have tried, Klipsch RP-400C[4" woofers, 8ohm] / Psb Imagine XC[5" woofers, 8ohm] / Elac 2.0 C5.2,[5" woofers, 8ohm] The closest dialogue to feel like it is coming from the screen, is the Klipsch RP-400C.

I use the speaker calibration from the Denon AVR. Can my issue be resolved? I really don't want to move further back from the screen, if that is the solution. I have tried decreasing the db on the center channel, but, there is really no change. Perhaps go back again to the Klipsch, which seems to be a more near field speaker?
You are so close you will have a proximity effect. Your best option is to just get rid of the center channel speaker. You will be better off without one in that situation.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Or reduce the volume of the center channel significantly with whatever manual control your receiver provides.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Or reduce the volume of the center channel significantly with whatever manual control your receiver provides.
Rather than do that, getting rid of the center channel will give better results.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

I use a Kef Q650C. It is angled up slightly so that it points to about ear level whiles seated. I sit about 8' from an 82" TV and it "projects" voices to the screen very nicely. I can sit on the floor less than 3' from the speaker and it still does a very good job of putting the voices on the screen.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I use a Kef Q650C. It is angled up slightly so that it points to about ear level whiles seated. I sit about 8' from an 82" TV and it "projects" voices to the screen very nicely. I can sit on the floor less than 3' from the speaker and it still does a very good job of putting the voices on the screen.
I will try that option, as sounds like a remedy!
I did change out the center channel with the Klipsch RP-400C, and reduced the db to -8. Original set-up Calibration was -4db. It did help some.
@kini Thank you for your input and as said, will give it a try.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I went back into the Audio section of the Denon AVR and turned OFF both the "EQ's." That pretty much solved the issue. The speaker calibration was re-performed too, due to center channel replacement. The Crossover mains and center measured 40Hz and the SS 80Hz. Subwoofer is the normal 120Hz. Movie and Regular tv dialog, pretty much blends in with the TV screen. The PSB Imagine XC is now the center channel.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis