NAD vs Yamaha (not hijack the previous thread)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Takeereasy

YPAO is a lil more complicated than just taking level measurements. It also does a parametric equalization across several frequency bands for each speaker that is attached to it. That alone maybe worth something. Know what I mean? But I would also use this receiver for 2 channel listening and here I would be using it in direct mode. Here I know the NAD holds advantage over the Yamaha as I heard both units palying though PSB Imaget T45s which I own . The soundstage was definately better with the NAD.

E

Electone

Audioholic
This is interesting as I am planning on running a 1988 NAD Integrated Amp (3240PE) with my RX-V2400. Many people here have said that the NAD will probably sound better than the Yamaha. I suppose the only way to find out is to do a shoot out in 2 channel mode.

The NAD is a 1988 model, the Yamaha a 2004 model. Shouldn't amplifier technology have improved over the last 16 years that the Yamaha should mop the floor with the older NAD? :confused:

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
3db, I really agree that the auto adjustments on the EQ would be a nice feature, at least at first. I used to be so afraid of the EQ on my receiver that I left it alone at the factory settings :eek: . Once I learned how to use it I got a lot of the weaknesses in my setup out. I think that the YPAO setup will do most people, but I'd have to tweak it myself, just to see how close my setup was to the Yamaha's version. Then I'd stick with my setup because it is what I chose. That said I think that the YPAO is a great feature. One reason I debated over getting the Marantz I purchased is because it didn't have a similar feature in fact. Then I realized I'd never be happy until I was done tweaking myself (like I'd ever be done tweaking) and went ahead with the purchase. To me the Ypao is more like a reassurance from Yamaha, kind of a second opinion. I should have made sure in my post though that I put it down as only my opinion.

Electone, the Nad amp will most likely have more than double the power per channel of the Yamaha. That plus a low noise floor and great engineering are what allow amps from that bygone era known as the 80's to compete with products fromtoday.

Last edited:
W

Willow

Audioholic Intern
I have no Idea how to tweak with the EQ on my yammie. :(

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Then that's what the YPAO is for :) . If you feel comfortable with the Yammie doing it for you then I can't see any harm in that. I had no Idea how to work an EQ 3 mo. ago. I had to research it online and spend a long time fiddeling with it at home. I still don't pretend to know a ton on the subject, but I am learning. What you really need to know is what sounds fall into what part of the sound spectrum. I am lousy at explaining things :eek: , but for example I was having trouble getting voices to sound as loud as surround effects from my center. (I remember this because Buckeye helped somone with the same problem the other day) I found that by boosting the EQ on the center in the mid setion I was getting much better results. Essentialy I was boosting the volume between 700hz and 2k or 3k hz. The results aren't perfect, but they are much better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis