lago

lago

Audiophyte
Hi
I just bought this for surround sound only. I connected all 7 speakers correctly then optical cable to my TV. AlI speakers work but only in stereo.
Also only the CD function works on the amp?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi
I just bought this for surround sound only. I connected all 7 speakers correctly then optical cable to my TV. AlI speakers work but only in stereo.
That is 2004 receiver. Any receiver that old is pretty much useless and worthless.

Just make sure you have your TV set to output multichannel, if it can via optical. A 2004 receiver though probably does not have the correct codecs to decode what you want to do.

That receiver was a very unwise purchase, so I hope you did not pay much for it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi
I have had a further look at this unit. It was built about two years before the modern era of surround audio.

It's only true surround capability is from DVD audio and SACD players via an optical or coaxial digital input. DVD audio is long defunct as an audio system. SACD is still with us. It does however have the old Digital Prologic and the DTS equivalent, which constructs pseudo surround from two channel sources. These were the earliest upmixers. So you can get a synthesized surround sound from two channel sources if you select Dolby prologic from the surround options on the front panel.

So you will have to make sure your TV sends two channel to this device and then engage Dolby prologic. This unit is prior to HDMI and only has facility for s-video and component video. These are not digital formats and as they have no digital rights management can not be used anymore. We are now well passed the analog sunset. Units produced prior to 2011 have very limited functionality if they do not have HDMI inputs and outputs. HDMI introduced in 2003 appeared in quantity 2006 and after. So the five years following were transition years. Purchasing AV equipment produced prior to 2011/2012 is very unwise. I would go further and advise against purchase of AV gear produced prior to 2017.

I would say AV is now approaching maturity, and I think the rate of obsolescence will begin to slow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis