NAD T163/T973 question

K

kaybert

Audiophyte
I recently purchased the forementioned NAD preamp and amp. It sounds great in stereo through my NAD CD player, and also performs well with cable TV using 5.1. My problem is the extremely limited audio output when playing DVD's. It claims to put out 140 watts into 7 channels, but I literally have to turn the pre amp all the way up to get anything out of it. My DVD player is 5 to 7 years old, and I've tried the various connections to the pre amp as well as trying to configure the DVD player in it's menu. I'm really bummed that I'm not getting close to what I expected for the money I've spent. Would a newer DVD player make a difference? Thanks in advance for any help.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
kaybert said:
I recently purchased the forementioned NAD preamp and amp. It sounds great in stereo through my NAD CD player, and also performs well with cable TV using 5.1. My problem is the extremely limited audio output when playing DVD's. It claims to put out 140 watts into 7 channels, but I literally have to turn the pre amp all the way up to get anything out of it. My DVD player is 5 to 7 years old, and I've tried the various connections to the pre amp as well as trying to configure the DVD player in it's menu. I'm really bummed that I'm not getting close to what I expected for the money I've spent. Would a newer DVD player make a difference? Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you also having problems with CDs?
Some DVDs or, DVDs in general are not recorded at the same average volume as many CDs are.
No, a new DVD player will not help.
Have you had this problem before?

K

kaybert

Audiophyte
I tried a CD in the DVD player (stereo mode) with the exact same results. Play the same CD in the CD player at the same level (stereo mode), and it's considerably louder. I'm thinking of trying to patch the CD player into the DVD input on the T163 to see what happens. I'm baffled and really disappointed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
kaybert said:
I tried a CD in the DVD player (stereo mode) with the exact same results. Play the same CD in the CD player at the same level (stereo mode), and it's considerably louder. I'm thinking of trying to patch the CD player into the DVD input on the T163 to see what happens. I'm baffled and really disappointed.
OK. Now, the DVD player is hooked up with digital audio? How about the CD player?

Perhaps you can check the DVD player's digital audio setup, pcm or bitstream if that makes a difference?

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
There should be a gain control on your amp. Just have a quick look...

K

kaybert

Audiophyte
Both the CD player and DVD player are currently hooked up with digital audio, and the gain on the back of the power amp and in the menu on the pre amp are up full (+12db). I've tried all the connections on the back of the DVD player (coaxial, s video, and digital audio) with the same results. Thanks for the help.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
kaybert said:
I'm thinking of trying to patch the CD player into the DVD input on the T163 to see what happens.
What happened? Same result? Did you try swapping cables? It does sound like a DVD player issue. I'm guessing you didn't have the problem before the NAD gear?

K

kaybert

Audiophyte
There's the rub. The NAD is my first surround receiver so I've never had the DVD player hooked up to anything but the TV. Changing connections (s video, coaxial) made no difference. I tried switching the interconnects too with similar results. Thanks for all the feedback.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis