NAD T-763 vs. Yamaha RXV 2500? need advise

J

JB007

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I urgently need some advise. I'm about to purchase the Yamaha RXV 2500, which has great functionality. But as the shop is taking really long in procuring this, I've been looking around a bit.
I found the NAD T-763 for a cool 1000 Euro, which is the same price I was going to pay for the Yammie. Furthermore I've made pretty good experiences with NAD as I have nice (older 2nd hand) amp from them that sounds fantastic. In fact, the only reason why I am buying a new receiver is because I need surround for movies.
My dilemma is that I am afraid that by buying the Yammie, I will be downgrading my music experience (music is important to me)!
Can some one advise me if I am indeed about to make a mistake. Should I be going for the T-763? Then again does the T-763 provide as good of a movie experience as the Yammie (I quite like its' functionality, night mode, dialog lift, automatic room setup etc....).

Is there a way for me to still use my old NAD amp (306 or something I think) together with the Yammie. And BTW what is all this talk about 'separates'..my apologies for my ignorance, I'm new to this field.

I would really appreciate objective feedback. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
As long as your old amp has a "main in" input, you'd be able to use it with the Yamaha to power the front two channels.

The NAD provides a superb music experience and a robust power supply. However, it doesn't have nearly as many features as the Yamaha. Go to their websites and check out a feature list and see if you'd be willing to give them up. The Yamaha should give you a very nice music experience, IMO losing out only slightly to the NAD.

A receiver has a preamp and an amp built in. Separates use a preamp in one box and an amp in another.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd stick with the Yamaha. NAD has been having some reliability issues as of late. Besides, if you ever feel the need to add an external amplifier, the Yamaha has excellent preamp outputs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard just the opposite

jaxvon said:
I'd stick with the Yamaha. NAD has been having some reliability issues as of late. Besides, if you ever feel the need to add an external amplifier, the Yamaha has excellent preamp outputs.
I've heard just the oppoiste from a dealer who sold me my PSB. When I asked him about a receiver in the 1500cdn region three years ago, he steered me to YAmaha and told me that NAD has reliabiltiy problems. A few monthes ago (after picking up my PSB T45s I asked him teh same question and he told me to go with NAD. I asked him why he is now sterring me towards NAD rather than Yamaha. He recalled the convo and with abig smile told me that NAD has cleaned up on their relaibilty issues. Sonically, he siad that NAD was a better class of receiver than Yamaha. He still maintains that the Yammies have been bullet proof in reliability and that they are a good receiver. But for two channel sound, NAD is still leagues ahead. So I did the compariosn and concurred with him. The NAD was just that little bit more transparent giving abetter soundstage and a deeper one too. It also had better control of the bass. Thought I'd share

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
As I mainly watch movies, I would go with the Yammy. I have a 2500 and love it. It is no slouch on music either. I'd rather gain the features (Great DSP is a big one of the Yammy) and arguably give up a little on music, than the other way around. To be fair, I have not heard any of NAD's recent offerings. The 2500 adds the presence channels which totally immerse you in the action when used. I can't see buying anything but Yamaha in the future if they keep going down the road they're on. Now... if only they would come out with a nice preamp with 9.1 or better yet 9.2.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
the only reason why I am buying a new receiver is because I need surround for movies.
If the NAD were 7.1, I'd say go for it. But since they only offer 6.1 channels, I would have to favor the 2500. I've rarely if ever heard any negative criticism on that unit. Now if you're running a 5.1 or 6.1 setup, then the NAD would be fine.

J

JB007

Audiophyte
nm2285 said:
As long as your old amp has a "main in" input, you'd be able to use it with the Yamaha to power the front two channels.

A receiver has a preamp and an amp built in. Separates use a preamp in one box and an amp in another.
Yes... my NAD 306 amp does have a "main in" input. ... If I would connect the two I would need to wire my front speakers to to the NAD . Therefore I would not be able to listen to my front speakers through the Yamaha 2500 exclusivly..right?. If I want to listen to a movies I would have to have the NAD on (while I actually only want to use it for music ...Is there a way around this??

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis