NAD M17 v2 11.1CH Atmos Processor with Dirac room correction.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe he had measured SNR in some cases, in this case he presented the dynamic range graph. For linear amplifiers, my understanding is that you can consider SNR and DNR are practically the same thing. In DAC datasheets that provide both SNR and DNR, they are pretty much always the same. Some of them only provide one or the other.

https://www.ap.com/technical-library/signal-to-noise-ratio-snr-dynamic-range-and-noise/

For cross talk, it's there, just hard to find because there are so many graphs.

He said it was the bright spot.., obviously much better than the Anthem MRX520 he also measured, that was "pretty poor" for an amplifier, according to him.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-nad-m17-v2-pre-pro.8998/

View attachment 31358
So for Class A, B, and AB - Dynamic Range and SNR are interchangeable.

For the $6K NAD, DR/SNR is 103dB, I assume unweighted 20Hz-20kHz?

Here, for XT, it looks like 92dB @ 1kHz, which is very good for a $2K AVR, but not great for a $6K AVP.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So for Class A, B, and AB - Dynamic Range and SNR are interchangeable.

For the $6K NAD, DR/SNR is 103dB, I assume unweighted 20Hz-20kHz?
Only if the SNR is measured at rated (maximum) output. If SNR is based on lower output level, it would be lower obviously and DR would then look better because it is always based on maximum output.

By the way, he just posted his measurements on the M27 power amp, looks impressive and he heard you loud and clear so you get to see the "SNR":D. I would like to compared the results to the much cheaper MX-A5200 (or was it 5100?) Gene measured, time permitting today..

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-nad-m27-pwr-amp.9036/

1568813436329.png

You can see the number increased a lot at rated output and that would be the same if expressed as DR.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
By the way, he just posted his measurements on the M27 power amp, looks impressive and he heard you loud and clear so you get to see the "SNR":D.
Thank you, Amir!

Now we're talking. :D

So the NAD M27's full-power-SNR is ~ 124dB (is this A-weighted since A-weighted is about 3dB higher than unweighted?) and 1kHz-XT is ~ 95dB.

Excellent numbers.

Hopefully he will continue to show SNR (dBA or dB at 1W and Full Power) and XT (20Hz-20kHz).

I usually don't look at THD and FR since 100% of the time THD is < 0.01% and 100% of the time FR is better than +/-0.5dB, which is much better than any loudspeaker on earth. :D

I consider 120dBA full-power-SNR and 90dB kHz-XT as excellent.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So the NAD M27's full-power-SNR is ~ 124dB (is this A-weighted since A-weighted is about 3dB higher than unweighted?) and 1kHz-XT is ~ 95dB.

Excellent numbers.

Hopefully he will continue to show SNR (dBA or dB at 1W and Full Power) and XT (20Hz-20kHz).
Agreed, I prefer SNR at 1 W and full power also.

Regarding the weighting, you can see on the chart that it says 25 kHz band, so I think it is likely considered "unweighted" but have a low pass filter like the AES17. Also, if weighted, he should have said so.

I will ask him..

B

BlackSpider777

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

Does the M17 V2 support Earc? interested in this processor.

Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis