nad c 326bee stereo integrated amp

M

musclechet

Audiophyte
i always listen to songs or watch movies on my computer. just recently some one gave me a nad c326bee amplifier . i bought these old onkyo thx certified hts f2 front speakers and hooked them to the amp. after i play 4 or 5 songs the cabinet of the amp starts heating up . it get very hot. i asked the person who gave me the amp if the amp got heated at his place but he said no . he said may be the speakers are not matching. im just a novice. the amp i think is rated for 8 ohms and 4 ohms while the speakers are 6 ohms. is the amp heating up during use because the speakers are not matching. i searched the net and got the spec sheet of the speaker . attaching it to this tread.i have also attached spec sheet of nad c 326bee amp also . pls help.

Attachments

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i always listen to songs or watch movies on my computer. just recently some one gave me a nad c326bee amplifier . i bought these old onkyo thx certified hts f2 front speakers and hooked them to the amp. after i play 4 or 5 songs the cabinet of the amp starts heating up . it get very hot. i asked the person who gave me the amp if the amp got heated at his place but he said no . he said may be the speakers are not matching. im just a novice. the amp i think is rated for 8 ohms and 4 ohms while the speakers are 6 ohms. is the amp heating up during use because the speakers are not matching. i searched the net and got the spec sheet of the speaker which is in german language . attaching it to this tread. pls help.
It seems that we have to ask people to figure out their power need first every time they ask questions like this.
Truthfully it is not possible to give you an answer without knowing your power need first.

Your power need depends mainly on:
1) distance from your listening position to the speakers.
2) sensitivity of the speaker
3) impedance of the speaker
4) your spl requirement

You have provided the information we need for 2) and 3) but not 1) and 4. Or you can use an online calculators such as the two below I just linked in another thread.

Peak SPL Calculator (homestead.com)
Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers

Once you got that figure out, you will get the answer as you already know the C326BEE is just a nice little integrated amp rated for 50 W into 4 Ohms but obviously more on short term basis.

Another thing to consider is, when you say "heating up", what exactly do you mean, and how much space have you provided the amp to vent?

It would be helpful if you post the temperature measured on the hottest spot on the enclosure after playing your favorite music for 5, 10 and 30 minutes, just an example.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While an amp can normally get warm it may get a lot warmer if you're using it at high output levels. Ventilation counts, too (or adding a fan if worried). The amp is rated for 4 ohm (and even has 2 ohm dynamic ratings) but isn't particularly powerful. @PENG beat me to most of it :)

M

musclechet

Audiophyte
the amp is not covered and vents are not blocked. just want to know if the amp is getting heated up because of mismatched speaker set hts f2

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
But to what levels are you driving it? Do you have an spl meter app in your phone you can give us an idea at what your listening level is and at what distance from the speakers? On the face of it, the speakers aren't particularly an issue for the amp's rating. Used gear of course might have issues.....

ps likewise, can you give us a measurement of the amp's temperature?

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I used to own an NAD C326BEE. It got hotter than any other amp or receiver I've ever owned.

Changing speakers might make a small difference, but the amp runs pretty hot no matter what.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own an NAD C326BEE. It got hotter than any other amp or receiver I've ever owned.

Changing speakers might make a small difference, but the amp runs pretty hot no matter what.
Did it still enjoy a long life?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Mine's driving my LS50 now and it doesn't get warm. It all depends on how it's used.

Last edited:
B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Did it still enjoy a long life?
I don't know. I sold it after a year or two of owning it. I had too many amps & receivers. It ran hotter than any of the others, regardless of which speakers I was powering with it (and I used it with several different pairs).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis