NAD 9060 as home theater amp, avr for affordable pre/pro?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Though dated by a couple of years, from a major AV brand we had access to their field failure rates for the categories of Pre-amps/Controllers & AVRs. Basically the field failure rate for AVRs was about 2.5X that of Pre-amps/Controllers. I recall that within the brand they surmised AVRs were higher for (2) reasons:
1. Many more AVRs sold, especially entry level models
2. Internally the Pre-amp/Controller products had lower internal temperatures without the power output stage & larger power supply, less heat build-up was better for improved reliability

Just my $0.02.. ;)
I think the biggest issue is the number of models sold under $2K. If we could compare only the $3K AVR vs their Counterparts, I bet the failure rates would be a lot similar.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
TV is a 50" Samsung 1080p Plasma purchased in 2008 - still a great picture. Nothing 4k. However, I expect to buy a projector for this setup in the coming year, moving the TV to another room. I could consider pre/pro with other future equipment upgrades in mind, but the latest & greatest connectivity is also adding to the price. Not sure I want to try to prepare for every potential upgrade; projectors I'm considering have been on market for a while also. So I suspect I am a good candidate for slightly used pre/pro. Do you suggest anything to look for as an amazing product for the price? Something under $600?
Yep, 59" plasma myself that I hope lasts for a while until OLED (or something else comes along) becomes more reasonably priced; I'm staying away from 4k until at least such time as the plasma dies, then I'll make a decision on upgrading the gear. Unless you go for immersion audio (Atmos/Auro3D/DTS:X), it sounds like TLS' unit may suffice (assuming your set is a bit old to have 3D/ARC features), that is a nice pre-pro.

Pre-pros are just more expensive due to good old economies of scale, and I don't find they have a particular benefit to justify the additional expense. YMMV. A good avr can act as pre-pro if you want, just get one with a full set of pre-outs. The Denon X3300/3400 and up avrs are what I'd look at as well (I have two Denons myself, too, altho my newest is the 4520). But that's me.

I no longer use external amps, not going that loud any more to need them....the whole sound quality thing with separate boxes hasn't been my experience as far as that goes (and I still have old 2ch separates, I still use my avrs in all my main setups, the 2ch stuff resides in a spare bedroom).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Though dated by a couple of years, from a major AV brand we had access to their field failure rates for the categories of Pre-amps/Controllers & AVRs. Basically the field failure rate for AVRs was about 2.5X that of Pre-amps/Controllers. I recall that within the brand they surmised AVRs were higher for (2) reasons:
1. Many more AVRs sold, especially entry level models
2. Internally the Pre-amp/Controller products had lower internal temperatures without the power output stage & larger power supply, less heat build-up was better for improved reliability

Just my $0.02.. ;)
That does not surprise me at all.

I have been handling and installing gear for years. The whole receiver concept is becoming increasingly fraught with danger. The processing is becoming more complex and compact and ever more miserable power amps crammed in the case.

Failures are bound the be on the upward trend.

My 8003 got mildly warm. My two 7701s stay totally cool at all times.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Lots of people do that, or just have a power amp for the fronts and use an avr for the surrounds. Whatever combo of gear works for you. One morbid thought...I don't think about gear lasting 20 years out any more....cuz I won't be around to appreciate it (either I'll be gone or my hearing will be).

TLS' 8003 is a bit dated on codec/hdmi, just what do you want to connect via hdmi? Need the latest 4k tech? Atmos or other immersive tech?
It is a bit dated, but the only issue is 4K. I don't need 4K as I have my Panny plasmas still, which I'm convinced are better then the current 4Ks.

I bought another 7701 so it worked the same for my wife in both residences. To be honest the remote of the 8003 is not well thought out. The other issue was getting another two rear HDMI inputs. I was using a switcher on one input to get 6 inputs.

I also wondered if having individual crossovers would be beneficial. It was not. In fact the newer version of Audyssey in its basic core functions was worse than the earlier version. It turns out that my system sounds best, and measures best, no Audyssey and all 7 speakers set to large with the cross set globally at 60 Hz LFE + Main. In terms of sound quality there has been no difference between the two pre/pros.

Luckily I did not spend much for this latest 7701. I got it at a very low price in perfect condition.

I really only use the core functions. I do need the balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I don't watch a lot of movies and will never install speakers for Atmos. I'm pretty sure that would be a big downgrade to this system. I just need clean sound with plenty of headroom. It is used mainly for the whole gamut of music, solo instrumental chamber, orchestral choral music and opera.

My wife and I do watch quite a bit of TV together, but nearly all streamed from various sites.

All our streaming TV, music opera etc is streamed either from the HTPC or DAW. I usually stream radio from the DAW now but do use the HD radio function some. Other sources are tape and the turntables. I don't need or like a lot of bells and whistles. I just want really good quality core functions in a pre/pro or any pre amp for that matter.

I keep my gear for the long haul and very seldom change components. I made my first DAW last 15 years, and I have turntables approaching the 60 year mark.

The only issue I see down the road is if the TVs give trouble and I end up with the 4K issue. The 7701s have 4K pass though, but I don't think that will get me very far.

The new pre/pros are loaded up with a ton of junk I don't want or need.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is a bit dated, but the only issue is 4K. I don't need 4K as I have my Panny plasmas still, which I'm convinced are better then the current 4Ks.

I bought another 7701 so it worked the same for my wife in both residences. To be honest the remote of the 8003 is not well thought out. The other issue was getting another two rear HDMI inputs. I was using a switcher on one input to get 6 inputs.

I also wondered if having individual crossovers would be beneficial. It was not. In fact the newer version of Audyssey in its basic core functions was worse than the earlier version. It turns out that my system sounds best, and measures best, no Audyssey and all 7 speakers set to large with the cross set globally at 60 Hz LFE + Main. In terms of sound quality there has been no difference between the two pre/pros.

Luckily I did not spend much for this latest 7701. I got it at a very low price in perfect condition.

I really only use the core functions. I do need the balanced and unbalanced outputs.

I don't watch a lot of movies and will never install speakers for Atmos. I'm pretty sure that would be a big downgrade to this system. I just need clean sound with plenty of headroom. It is used mainly for the whole gamut of music, solo instrumental chamber, orchestral choral music and opera.

My wife and I do watch quite a bit of TV together, but nearly all streamed from various sites.

All our streaming TV, music opera etc is streamed either from the HTPC or DAW. I usually stream radio from the DAW now but do use the HD radio function some. Other sources are tape and the turntables. I don't need or like a lot of bells and whistles. I just want really good quality core functions in a pre/pro or any pre amp for that matter.

I keep my gear for the long haul and very seldom change components. I made my first DAW last 15 years, and I have turntables approaching the 60 year mark.

The only issue I see down the road is if the TVs give trouble and I end up with the 4K issue. The 7701s have 4K pass though, but I don't think that will get me very far.

The new pre/pros are loaded up with a ton of junk I don't want or need.
OLED has promise, but who knows what the next step will be but I'm happy with 1080p plasma until that time too. If my ceiling were easier to mount speakers into, I could be tempted by the immersive tech but I'm not interested in dealing with the ceiling, at least not in my main room (living room)....maybe convert a bedroom for that but no hurry...not tons of content either, altho its getting better. It seems the latest Dolby Surround upmixer does a great job by many reports. 4k pass thru without the latest HDCP probably won't get you very far....

Your 8003 does lack a few things, tho. It doesn't provide for HDMI 1.4a (3D/ARC) as it is only HDMI 1.3, which isn't a big loss as I mentioned, but some like it. It lacks immersive tech (Atmos/DTS:X/Auro3D) capability as well. It also lacks the better XT32 version of Audyssey, as it only has the lowest version, MultEQ; I know how you feel about Audyssey for your use, but I've found it useful using both XT and XT32 versions, but never had the base MultEQ version.

My turntable and a couple old 2ch separates I've had for 30 some odd years, but use digital sources most of the time altho my tt is hooked up to my main avr. No DAW, tho, but I don't do any recording, just playback. I did follow your update thread on the latest version. I am a movie junkie to an extent, altho I do a fair amount of music listening on my avr based setups also (3 total, living room, bedroom and workshop).

We all like some sort of audio junk that someone else could care less about I suppose....as my favorite Latin saying goes....suum cuique (altho my Latin teacher preferred suum quique).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis