NAD 787 Turns On W/O User

R

RJT

Audiophyte
Does anyone find that their NAD 787 (with 4K Module) will not turn off? Specifically in my case if I turn off my 7ch system with either my RTI remote or directly using its power button, the receiver will turn back on anywhere within 3 - 90 minutes. The company which I purchased and set my system up has isolated this to the NAD after removing all HDMI connections from components to the receiver and also disconnecting my RTi remote as well. Still, the unit turned back on. All firmware is up to date. This is the second time it will be going back to NAD for repair in about one year.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anyone find that their NAD 787 (with 4K Module) will not turn off? Specifically in my case if I turn off my 7ch system with either my RTI remote or directly using its power button, the receiver will turn back on anywhere within 3 - 90 minutes. The company which I purchased and set my system up has isolated this to the NAD after removing all HDMI connections from components to the receiver and also disconnecting my RTi remote as well. Still, the unit turned back on. All firmware is up to date. This is the second time it will be going back to NAD for repair in about one year.
If you had done your homework you would have found out that NAD stands for Not Always Dependable.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The T787 turns on randomly even when there's no HDMI connections in it? That's really strange as I would think it needs to see a signal voltage of some kind, somewhere to be able to trigger the power on.

My T758 has been very reliable. The only failure I had was caused by me, I think. I had upgraded the stock VM120 video to the VM130 4K when it became available, a $200 option given when I bought the receiver. A couple weeks later the AM100 audio (DSP) module failed. It could have failed because of something I did, I just don't know. When I replaced that failed AM100 with a used one for $50 I loaded the wrong firmware but Erich S at NAD figured it out and got me straight. It's been perfect since, about 6 months now.

I hope you're creating an electronic version of a "paper trail" with NAD by filing service tickets on their support website. If it's well documented that way or by your dealer, they'll do something to make it right for you. They've treated me very well.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That is sooooo helpful . Is it your time? :rolleyes:
Well I have no idea how to stop this. However the turn on circuit must be a lousy design and unstable. NAD gear is best avoided in my opinion, they have an excess of problems.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The NAD products seem far more reliable than in the recent past. For certain they are better supported these days, I can attest. They have a support procedure on their website and if you "open a ticket" by supplying your unit's serial number and a description of the problem, they definitely do follow-up until it's resolved.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The NAD products seem far more reliable than in the recent past. For certain they are better supported these days, I can attest. They have a support procedure on their website and if you "open a ticket" by supplying your unit's serial number and a description of the problem, they definitely do follow-up until it's resolved.
Customer service is all well and good. But the foundation of good products is to design products that seldom need service.

Turn on circuits are really very simple. For the OP to have the problem more than once, it sounds as if there is a "rookie" mistake in the design of that turn on circuit.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
They've got a relatively small staff, owing to market share, so it takes more time to fully test new designs. Therefore they've directed staff who interact with customers and distributors to NOT make any more promises of dates for release of anything.

In this case, I agree there appears to be some oversight or at least "unanticipated" faults with that model. As far as I know, no other model is doing that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Amps and AVRs are different animals. I don't mind their amps (class AB only) and I bought one when it was on sale. AVRs are more complex, more things to go wrong so I would avoid NAD and stick with the much more popular D&M and Yamaha models.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I might also stick with them (Denon-Marantz) but when I chose the NAD it was the ease of operation, switching inputs and outputs modes, that swung me. Perhaps because I use it primarily for music and not movies it was the better choice for me.

I'm actually more enthused about it now because I paid $700 for it in December 2015, another $200 in June 2017 to upgrade the video for 4K (and added Bluesound streaming.) Now for $630 (less the discount my dealer gives me) I'll be upgrading it again to get Atmos capability and Dirac Live for $99.

Seems a lot, but it's like getting a new receiver every couple years for cheap. It's the Dirac Live which intrigues me the most, as I rarely watch movies.

The T758v3 with all these features for $1299, though only Dirac LE unless you upgrade for another $99. Same with the more powerful T777v3 for $2499. I don't know why they haven't made the same upgrades for the top T787, maybe it's going away or being replaced by something completely better as a flagship unit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis