NAD 2200PE has been putting out weird sound, intermitanly.

NadAmpOwner

NadAmpOwner

Audiophyte
Greetings,

I have a 35 year old NAD 2200PE amplifier. Both channels can seem to play audio normally, but it acted up one day powering my DIY sub, so I removed it from service and it acted up some more on my workbench. It seems fine, now.
What it has done is put out some kind of weird oscillating tone, and while it's playing music now, it seems unwise to return it to return it to service.
Has anyone have some advice on how to proceed DIY style?

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
i have a 2200PE as my garage system amp. The only issues I've experienced with it is occasional static caused by the input selector switch. Sometimes one of the channels will "break up" and I have to select another source and come back to the source I was playing. Its old...its dirty.

Any other description of how it is acting up?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Greetings,

I have a 35 year old NAD 2200PE amplifier. Both channels can seem to play audio normally, but it acted up one day powering my DIY sub, so I removed it from service and it acted up some more on my workbench. It seems fine, now.
What it has done is put out some kind of weird oscillating tone, and while it's playing music now, it seems unwise to return it to return it to service.
Has anyone have some advice on how to proceed DIY style?
With gear of this age, a good inspection of electrolytic caps is always a good idea. There is a decent chance that visual inspection can identify a bad cap. You may see electrolyte that has leaked, or you may see the tops of caps that are bulging, and either of those is a clear sign of a failed cap.

Be aware, not all designs have bleed-off resistors for caps, and the main power supply filter caps can pack a heck of a punch if you touch them and let them discharge onto yourself! When working with capacitors, it is best to be certain that the design has cap bleed off resistors, or even better to carefully bleed off a cap before servicing.

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
Since we are already talking about gear this old...here is mine:

NAD.jpg

This equipment belonged to my uncle who passed away unexpectedly more than 10 years ago. I don't have a dedicated area for a 2 channel system so this powers a pair of Klipsch tower speakers i have suspended from the ceiling in my garage. Yes...high power + high efficiency makes it VERY LOUD! All the neighbors know when I'm in the garage. With that said, I'd like to have it rebuilt/restored if possible. I know it had an issue MANY years ago and the speaker terminals on one channel were changed (they are visibly different). I also know this isn't cheap, but I don't see myself parting with it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? How difficult of a DIY operation would it be? I'm extremely mechanically inclined, but really have never spent much time soldering. Any help would be appreciated on this one!

NadAmpOwner

NadAmpOwner

Audiophyte
i have a 2200PE as my garage system amp. The only issues I've experienced with it is occasional static caused by the input selector switch. Sometimes one of the channels will "break up" and I have to select another source and come back to the source I was playing. Its old...its dirty.

Any other description of how it is acting up?
The problems you describe aren't w/ the amp. You do understand this?

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
The problems you describe aren't w/ the amp. You do understand this?
Totally understood...thats the pre-amp...must have dropped my brain somewhere when i wrote that. But i would like to restore this equipment to be able to hand it down at some point. So if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis