n00b sub polarity question

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I've got an Outlaw lfm hooked up to a Yammy 2700. When I run YPAO's polarity checker, it tells me the sub's polarity is reversed in relation to my other speakers (all of my other speakers have 'nrml' polarity).

The sub is connected to the receiver via an RCA subwoofer cable. I didn't think RCA jacks *HAD* polarity.

So the question is, how does one reverse the polarity of an RCA jack? Or is there some setting or something I need to change on the sub/receiver?

Help!! :confused:

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
While I can't say I've heard it say the sub's polarity is wrong, YPAO is notorious for getting both speaker size and polarity incorrect.
I generally skip those two portions of the auto set-up and manually set all my speakers to small.
I'm not sure if having the phase on the sub set to 180 degrees would affect the YPAO or not, or if that sub even has that feature.
Just a thought.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
{edit} Nomo beat me to it :p {/edit}

NVM, I'm a n00b.

Phase = Polarity for subs!

All this time I thought that the phase had to do with the acutal sound waves produced by the sub!! I switched the phase and polarity looks good! You're right on the other counts too Nomo...crossover was set to 160Hz (waay to high IMHO) and my Axiom 60 fronts and center were set to large.

I me thinks I will have to dabble with manual tuning now! (Set em to small and put the frequency cross over somewhere around 60Hz or so).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis