A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
Hi,

I'm moving into my new place and the previous owner installed speakers on both the wall where TV is mounted, and sound bar. Additionally, they installed two speakers on the ceiling. All of these cables run to a central hub about 20 feet away. I know it is a 5.1 system, as that is what he informed me. I have two questions, are there any receivers that you recommend? I will be running a DVR, Nvidia Shield and PS4 off of the receiver hoping to pair with it to play music as well.

Secondly, there was 1 IR Blaster on the TV this spans the 20 ft to the central hub, then it becomes all exposed wires....and there is no receiver. Has anyone come into this before? Let me know if pictures are helpful.

Completely new to all of this.

Thanks so much in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
What's the brand and model of the sound bar? The ir blaster is to control the components at the head end.

A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
Hi,

From the paperwork left I believe it is an JBL HTI 55 Home Theater series

The IR Blaster - this is the wiring - it is quite confusing. I am completely lost on how/where I would plug this into. No Receiver was left. Also the grey wire coming out of the pipe is the TV side, there is a blue CAT5 that says TV IR Blaster and then those separate grey wires look like they are coming from the same area.

Attachments

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

From the paperwork left I believe it is an JBL HTI 55 Home Theater series

The IR Blaster - this is the wiring - it is quite confusing. I am completely lost on how/where I would plug this into. No Receiver was left. Also the grey wire coming out of the pipe is the TV side, there is a blue CAT5 that says TV IR Blaster and then those separate grey wires look like they are coming from the same area.
I really cant see the other wires clearly but it looks like the ran the cat5 for the ir blaster. This means you need to terminate the end (reciver) where the tv is and make the terminations at the head in to the block and the ir flashers attach to it. Here is a video that will give you an idea what I'm talking about
You just need to purchase the ir repeater kit. There are many available.

A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
Thanks! Okay starting to understand. The cat 5 is terminated at the TV. It’s attaches to the IR Blaster.

This cat 5 goes back to the central console. So if I wire this to the IR receiver I should be fine. But does that mean I can only use this for one device?

All the other devices are also within the central console

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks! Okay starting to understand. The cat 5 is terminated at the TV. It’s attaches to the IR Blaster.
This cat 5 goes back to the central console. So if I wire this to the IR receiver I should be fine. But does that mean I can only use this for one device?
All the other devices are also within the central console
Should be good from 4 to 8 devices. Your only going to use a couple of strands from the reciever to the block and depending on the block attach either single or dual flashers to each output on the block. Always run your flashers on the top of components, that way for if they come loose they dont fall down and still flash the component. I use a dab of hot glue to attach them.
I'll look at the soundbar, but any mid level avr with the features you need should work.

A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
Hi,

Follow up question as I wait for the IR Receiver. The three devices I will be connecting to it are a Nvidia Sheild, PS4, and the AVR.

The Shield and PS4 operate off Bluetooth signals - will the IR repeat the Bluetooth signal? If not, what is my solution?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

Follow up question as I wait for the IR Receiver. The three devices I will be connecting to it are a Nvidia Sheild, PS4, and the AVR.

The Shield and PS4 operate off Bluetooth signals - will the IR repeat the Bluetooth signal? If not, what is my solution?
With the Bluetooth devices, it will not be needed unless you use a universal remote and then you need a bluetooth to it adapter. Bluetooth is like RF and requires no line of sight

A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
I'm almost 30 ft away from the PS4/Shield. The PS4 controllers were a bit in and out, I have yet to test the Shield.

A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
I am wondering since my AVR receiver and TV have HDMI-CEC......if I enable this - and have the PS4 and Shield going into the AVR - will this solve my problems?

I am assuming trial and error is only solution - just wanted to pick your brain as you are extremely knowledgeable

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am wondering since my AVR receiver and TV have HDMI-CEC......if I enable this - and have the PS4 and Shield going into the AVR - will this solve my problems?

I am assuming trial and error is only solution - just wanted to pick your brain as you are extremely knowledgeable
It may, but using cec typically doesn’t work smoothly, causing more issues than benefit.

A

anthdimatz

Audiophyte
Thanks! Trying to be proactive - so if the PS4 controllers are out of reach is there any solution?

For the shield I am assuming I run the IR and grab a universal remote

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis