Would You Pay $500 to Watch First-run Movies at Home?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Would you pay $35k + $500/movie to watch first-run movies at home? Prima Cinema seems to think there is a market for that - and we'd have to agree. No, not for you and me, but there are certainly an elite group pf people who will pay the money simply for the potential to be able to do such a thing. Now, it seems, Prima's plan, which they began talking about a full two years ago, is finally coming to fruition. So what IS the plan? Well, there is the hardware component, a BMW-built chassis (their U.S. design team in California handles the manufacturing apparently) and streaming media server that runs $35,000 and streams 1080p movies and full surround audio at a quality the company declares will top Blu-ray.

Discuss "Would You Pay $500 to Watch First-run Movies at Home?" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, that seems pretty pricey for 1080p and TrueHD. I'd want something better than that for $35k plus $500/movie.

Then again, I'm one of those people that waits for a blu-ray to go on sale before I see a movie. :eek: :D

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
If I had a ridiculous amount of money, sure...but I don't :D

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
No, but I would pay $50 to watch a single showing of currently in theatre movies... assuming, of course, top notch PQ/AQ.

majorloser

majorloser

But the film will have a watermark. I assume it will be like the station ID watermarks on broadcast material.

That would irrate the hell out of me to see that in the corner.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
This is a world that I know nothing about. I can guess that if some would pay the same amounts for season box seat tickets to football & baseball games, then why not first run movies too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I read that article on Giz yesterday. The answer is no. While I really can't stand going to the theaters much anymore, I still probably wouldn't cough up that kind of dough just to watch first run movies.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But the film will have a watermark. I assume it will be like the station ID watermarks on broadcast material.

That would irrate the hell out of me to see that in the corner.
My guess is it would be a watermark that you couldn't even see. A digital signature, not some code on the screen.

D

danlw

Audiophyte
My guess is that the market for this would be those who are both famous and rich. People who can't go anywhere public without getting recognized and mobbed by fans. Or high level politicians who can't go out in public for safety reasons.

If I had the extra money, though, I'd be interested for the same reason I have a nice home theater. I like to get the theater experience without the theater experience.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Funny. I heard about this about a year ago when my company quoted on labels for them. Like most here have stated this isn't targeted for "normal" people but if you're filthy rich why not?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Let's see, $35K for the system + $500 per movie (not including the price of the HT) or wait 2 months and watch it for ~$20 on Blu-ray? That's a tough one....

In the Giz article one person commented that there are decidedly a fair number of people out there who have home theaters are are easily in the hundreds of thousands, so the cost of this system really isn't much comparatively. That's not an average consumer though, but I highly doubt this is targeted at the average consumer.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thats a lot of money, $500 to watch a mocie never mind the $35K for the equipment is about $450 per movie and $33K more than I would spend... But now for $2K in equipment and $50 per movie, show me where to sign...

jmilton7043

jmilton7043

Audioholic Intern
$$$

I'll buy two. One for my theater and one for my bedroom.:rolleyes:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Seems like a step toward the future IMO. How long till we have first run movies in our homes.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Like most here have stated this isn't targeted for "normal" people but if you're filthy rich why not?
Even the filthy rich tend to like value (though there are those with more money than brains). I'm not sure how much value a product like this has even to those who can afford it, but I suppose time will tell.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis