Seymour AV Fixed Frame AT Screen with AT Masking Panels

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
When looking for a home theater screen, the general audioholic makes sure their precious sound quality is not diminished. Of course, there is a trade-off to be made if you are also a videoholic! Or is there? Incredible sound AND video can be had with the Center Stage Fixed Frame Acoustically Transparent (AT) Screen from Seymour AV. Gone are the days of ugly micro perf vinyl with its comb filtered sound, Swiss cheese look and image moire. Seymour AV has broken the mold and introduced an affordable product that defies common logic and allows one or many speakers behind the beautiful display without affecting audio perception.

Discuss "Seymour AV Fixed Frame AT Screen with AT Masking Panels" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Any "screen/no-screen" difference measurements?

"Acoustically transparent" is a claim that should be tested.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Any "screen/no-screen" difference measurements?

"Acoustically transparent" is a claim that should be tested.
Using the trusty old Radio Shack SPL meter and an audio test disk revealed that there wasn’t more than about 3db of change to any frequency I tested for the speakers alone, with the screen, or even with the screen, secondary black backing layer AND masking panels.* Of course, the accuracy of my meter has an error of margin and is not as accurate as I wanted, but my ears heard no objections during music listening and movie watching as noted below.
I don't think the phrase "acoustically transparent" is meant to be taken literally. It just indicates that loudspeakers can be be placed behind the screen with little appreciable impact on the loudspeakers' FR. I doubt that there is any fabric on this planet that can make that claim in the literal sense - for screens or speaker grills.

I bought the Seymour XD fabric and Fidelio black velvet for a 104" screen and built my own frame. Even with shipping to Canada, the whole thing cost me $500. Granted, I bought rough wood, planed, routed and cut it to size myself. But, if you have the equipment and some basic skills, it's a great way to save money. When I was planning my setup, I asked my A/V dealer about AT screens and he said that to order a ready-made screen from him would cost about $2500!

I am very pleased with my screen and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Seymour.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think this is one of those rare situations where I would go with DiY as well if you are a bit handy. I would consider this very much for my basement setup if I end up going with a permanently fixed frame screen location. It may take a while to build properly, but the end result should last for years.

They have received high praise it seems from about every single person who has used one, and I like that they specifically mention that Carada masking systems can be used with their screens. It means that they aren't looking to be better, but to be different and excel in their own area where they are different and they recognize quality in another manufacturer.

Speaks volumes when companies work together to build each other up like that and something I truly appreciate seeing.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Is seymourAV and seymour screen excellence the same brand?

NVM I see that they are but each site offers different types of screens.

Last edited:
basspig

basspig

Full Audioholic
I have had this screen material since 2009. I was very concerned about sound so I took measurements with room EQ wizard before and after installation. I saw no measurable differences below 18 kilohertz but above 18 kilohertz I saw about a 2db of attenuation and some comb filtering effects. I think that was reflection against the baffle boards at the speakers. Otherwise no audible difference to my ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis