Velodyne Digital Servo-10 Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Velodyne introduced its newest subwoofer, the new Digital Servo-10 (DS-10). The DS-10 is a sub that comes in right behind the company's Digital Drive (DD) series in terms of pricing and performance and is built to put out as much powerful and musical bass as possible within a smaller-sized, space-optimized enclosure. The DS-10 comes built with a cabinet-grade satin black finish. The driver is equally beautiful, but for different reasons (to those who are so enamored with technology). It's a 10-inch Kevlar–reinforced model with a ginormous 19.3 lbs. magnet structure and 3†dual tandem multi-layer voice coil. The basket is die-cast aluminum and everything is driven by an impressive 1250 watt RMS (3000 watts dynamic) ERS Class-D amplifier that claims 97% efficiency. As if that weren't enough, the sub includes Velodyne's patented Digital High Gain Servo (HGS) system that adjusts cone movement at a frequency of 16kHz (16,000 times a second). This is designed to lower distortion below 1% (or below what is considered audible. Everything is controlled by a high speed DSP processor.

Discuss "Velodyne Digital Servo-10 Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
a nice sub, yes but $2000? :eek: for a ten inch sub? from an internet direct company? i'll stick with my rythmiks, thanx.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
$2k is the MSRP but I'm sure they can be had for less than that. If you want a sub but can't have anything big, and you also have money, I think this would make a fine alternative to the 10" JL audio and Sunfire subs. I'm sure it will punch a lot harder than the Rythmik 12" sealed sub too. But if space is not a concern, yeah, there are much better subs for the money, in my opinion.

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Just another expensive little cube sub from Velodyne. How many models do they need? Seems like all they do is throw a driver in a little box. Throw in a powerful amp (probably way overrated, but thats marketing) and then you need a EQ that is half the total cost to get it to sound good.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
typical Brick and Mortar pric--oohh waitt

:eek:

yikes.

Anyways I`d find it hard to beleive it can defy the laws of physics. Maybe if it has 120mm of xmax and the amp can drive it that far out, then i'll pay that much for a 10" sub :eek:

Last edited:
ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
$2k is the MSRP but I'm sure they can be had for less than that. If you want a sub but can't have anything big, and you also have money, I think this would make a fine alternative to the 10" JL audio and Sunfire subs. I'm sure it will punch a lot harder than the Rythmik 12" sealed sub too. But if space is not a concern, yeah, there are much better subs for the money, in my opinion.
umm... they're internet direct now, so that IS the price (unless they're going to undercut themselves??).

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I love everything about Velodyne & all their different subwoofer lines....except their price$!!!!!

So i guess i dont love them that much & why i went with an HSU...hmm!?! :)

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
umm... they're internet direct now, so that IS the price (unless they're going to undercut themselves??).
Today you can order a DS-10 for $1200 delivered. So, ummm, YES, it appears they really are going to undercut themselves.

Really not much different than Emotiva's 'suggested' prices, Aperion's sales, and every other internet direct seller's 'specials'. Just buy at the right time.

Now, is $1200 a good price? Still sounds expensive since you could get a SB-13 Plus for the same price but its gonna take up a lot more space.

Compared against a Sunfire or Supercube 6000, $1200 is maybe a competive price...

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Geez, the driver looks like a dust cap with a surround. :eek: Not much in the way of cone material their.

I'm willing to wait for the official test myself. $1200 for a DSP and a powered sub isn't all that bad, especially if both make for a quality product. A DSP alone can be several hundred.

I guess time will tell...

D

DS-21

Full Audioholic
Throw in a powerful amp (probably way overrated, but thats marketing)
Velodyne's standalone amp, the SC1250, was tested at ~630W/8Ω and ~1120W/4Ω. Yes, one could quibble that it's rated "1250W/4Ω," but that meaningless difference (0.5dBW) could well be a result of methodology.

Velodyne seems to use the same amp module in a lot of their products, so it's rather hyperbolic to assume that they're not rating the unit honestly, based on an objectively reasonable testing setup/methodology.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
So Velo has cut all their distribution arms and you can no longer buy their subs at a local dealer?? :confused:

K

kini

Full Audioholic
So Velo has cut all their distribution arms and you can no longer buy their subs at a local dealer?? :confused:
Apparently. No Amazon (direct) or seemingly Crutchfield either. :( Crutchfield is down to one Velodyne and it's some in the wall thing.

Too bad as Velodyne won't ship to Hawaii free and Crutchfield and Amazon would put things on sale at least.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Apparently. No Amazon (direct) or seemingly Crutchfield either. :( Crutchfield is down to one Velodyne and it's some in the wall thing.

Too bad as Velodyne won't ship to Hawaii free and Crutchfield and Amazon would put things on sale at least.
Still looks like they have a ton of distributors/dealers listed on their website. Futureshop, Fry's, MODIA just to name a few.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Velodyne DS-10 to be reviewed?

I was just curious if a review of this was forthcoming. Please!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis