Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Processor Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Can you get a $2000 processor for just $700? Emotiva is betting you can. It's new UMC-1 7.1 processor combines some of the more advanced A/V processing you'll find into a package that is hard to beat. Let's start with the hardware. The UMC-1 utilizes Emotiva's signature aluminum faceplate design and LED backlit controls that give it a warm, minimalistic look. They're going to audiophile appeal and I think they nailed it. The UMC-1 looks like the love child offspring of a McIntosh and Anthem processor. We're just saying... This is a very compelling buy from a company that has been producing value-priced products that consistently outperform their higher-priced counterparts. You owe it to yourself to at least check out the UMC-1, especially since they offer a 30-day money back guarantee. Pair the UMC-1 with one of Emotiva's hefty multi channel amps and you’ve got a separates solution with more power at your command than a flagship A/V receiver - and for much less…

Discuss "Emotiva UMC-1 Pre-Processor Video Review" here. Read the article.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
I read the review and watched the video and I wouldn't call this a review. It sounds like an product introduction to me. Features and spec don't mean much. I'd like to know how does it performs with movies, 2ch music.
tran.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Review missing - intro only

I would agree with sjcguy as this is really just a detailed introduction not a true Audioholics review.

It's also a shame that their UPA line of multi-channel amps, which would be a great pairing, are no longer available (or at least currently). while I know the XPA are truly superior I can't justify the extra $ especially if pairing it with the UMC-1 which only has a balanced line out for the subwoofer.

For an UMC-1, an XPA-5 and XPA-2 you are looking at $2400. Yes, that is a super potent combination!

However I would really like to know how the auto calibration ~ Emo-Q measures up to the industries other offerings.

C

Casey01

Enthusiast
A nice review(what there was of it), however, considering how long the unit has been on the market, I am surprised as to the lack of a more detailed analysis of its operational and performance capabilities. It also didn't mention the rather unfortunate aspect of the UMC-1 and its on-going firmware update issues to correct some rather stubborn problems which, for the unit's age, have continued far too long.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I read the review and watched the video and I wouldn't call this a review. It sounds like an product introduction to me. Features and spec don't mean much. I'd like to know how does it performs with movies, 2ch music.
tran.
Have a second look at Forum FAQ/Rules...
specifically at these lines:
Additional Rules:

1) No slandering of manufacturers or forum members, including Audioholics Staff and moderators
2) No bashing our site, ethics, motives, etc. If you have criticisms about us, send us a PM or email (info@audioholics.com)
Public forum editors/owners critique is surefire way to get chicklets and possibly ban....

As per review - yea - It was short, yes but it still a review - I'd like a bit more features tested like EmoQ and VHQ Video Scalling scores, but hey it's still a review - it was bench tested and results were published....

P

porscheguy

Audiophyte
The "Un Review"

Review? What review? For a site that prides themselves on really putting products through their paces, I'm not sure what this is supposed to be.

Have you considered actually listening to the UMC-1 and watching movies through it?

And I have a whole house full of Emo gear including a UMC-1...

For shame.....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Lot's of whining today. Here is some cheese for your wine :rolleyes:

These are Video reviews. They give you an overview of the product. We have found that 3-5 minute videos are the perfect amount of time to cover a product. Making the videos any longer means people lose interest. I also included measurements of the product to give objective performance data. We can't do 10k word reviews for every product we cover and I apologize for setting the standard so high with our content.

If you want us to melt over the chocolatey midrange or buttery smooth bass, we typically don't do that in Video Reviews. We stick more to facts and discussions of features and setup. I had a chance to listen to the UMC-1 in my own reference system and found it sounded just fine.

My initial unit didn't have the proper filter slopes on the crossovers but Emotiva has since then addressed it via firmware updates. I may take a closer look at this product in the future, but I may decide to wait till the next generation one comes for a formal review.

In the meantime, you can watch our video and read our text which is still far more detailed than you will find on any other publication and best of all its FREE.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
Have a second look at Forum FAQ/Rules...
specifically at these lines:

Public forum editors/owners critique is surefire way to get chicklets and possibly ban....

As per review - yea - It was short, yes but it still a review - I'd like a bit more features tested like EmoQ and VHQ Video Scalling scores, but hey it's still a review - it was bench tested and results were published....
Wow, i m impressed with audioholics forum now.

Cruise Missile

Cruise Missile

Full Audioholic
Semantics.

Every time they post up a video review a bunch of clowns drive up in a tiny car, jump out, and start screaming about how it's not a review.

THE VIDEO REVIEWS FOLLOW A DIFFERENT FORMAT THAN THE FORMAL WRITTEN REVIEWS. GET OVER IT.

I personally like the different types of articles and reviews including the video reviews. Helps keep things fresh.

Plus I like clowns.

H

hooch

Audiophyte
LOL...I think they accidentally cut and pasted Emotiva's UMC-1 product announcement from 2 years ago.

N

nacz3

Audiophyte
Please also do an article review of this product. I do appreciate the free content but you have set the bar high based on your previous work.

Personally, this level of review isn't why I recommend people to look at Audioholics.com when looking for a first system or new system. I find myself not coming coming back to the site as often based on the new format of video reviews and first looks with no follow up of an in-depth review on the same product. I always used to give Audioholics as a reference to friends to look at reviews but now with the lack of in-depth reviews, I point them more to other sites and to forums.

I was one of the early adopters of the UMC-1. I stayed on until they set the date for the start of the 30 day return period and ended up returning it on the 30th day after loading up their latest firmware.

Firmware updating on the UMC-1 is by far one of the most painful and slow (and buggy) processes I've ever encountered. Check the Emotiva forums. If it weren't for Emonatics.com, I would've never found the updated USB drivers to be able to do a firmware update.

This review doesn't address the outstanding issues that the UMC-1 still has from reading their forums.

My 3-4 month experience with the UMC-1 will steer me clear of future Emotiva Processors. I do own a XPA-5 and have had no issues with it. I really wanted the UMC-1 to work but in the end, it just did not.

For the low down on UMC-1 to prospective buyers: I recommend checking out the Emotiva Forums and basing a purchase decision on that. (sorry for the links, I don't post on these forums that often)

emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=preamps

My experience before my return is here:
forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=750551&postcount=15

Emotiva does have great customer service and the 30 day return period is always there.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Umc-1 going crazy!
looks like a bad HDMI cable to me.. I had the very same crazy look going on ( non UMC ) and all I did was replace the HDMI cable. Has never occurred again.

majorloser

majorloser

Next to the people actually working at Emotiva, I've had my UMC-1 the longest. I was the first to receive my unit and have gone through the numerous firmware updates and changes. It was released as a "work in progress". The UMC-1 has been beat to death in the forums even long before it's release. At this point if Audioholics gave the UMC-1 a shining positive review they'd just be accused playing favorites. If they gave it a negative review, besides all the fanboys going nuts, it would look like Audioholics was just piling on with the previous negative comments.

I would agree with Gene, wait till the next generation model comes out before getting into a long winded written review. Then you can use the UMC-1 as a comparison benchmark for the newer generation.

itschris

itschris

Next to the people actually working at Emotiva, I've had my UMC-1 the longest. I was the first to receive my unit and have gone through the numerous firmware updates and changes. It was released as a "work in progress". The UMC-1 has been beat to death in the forums even long before it's release. At this point if Audioholics gave the UMC-1 a shining positive review they'd just be accused playing favorites. If they gave it a negative review, besides all the fanboys going nuts, it would look like Audioholics was just piling on with the previous negative comments.

I would agree with Gene, wait till the next generation model comes out before getting into a long winded written review. Then you can use the UMC-1 as a comparison benchmark for the newer generation.
Hey Major... why would they ever release it as a "work in progress?" That might have been the dumbest move they could have ever made. And I don' t even understand how it could be a work in progress after it was delayed repeatedly for what... a year and half or so?

I was thinking about getting rid of my Pioneer Receiver and just getting a pre-pro. I've mulled and tried to convince myself to give Emotiva a shot which I really committed to not doing... but thought it about it anyway. Honestly this pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin for me. I'll give Integra and some others a look.

T

Tonto

Audiophyte
Umc-1

I think Emotiva will eventuallly get this thing right. It looks pretty good as it is, they need to fix that room set up though. Right now it is adding the (lower frequency) summed corrections from the speakers & adding it to the LFE channel...bad move & why I will not buy it. Come to think of it, it's the only reason.

P

palmharbor

Junior Audioholic
Emotiva gets my vote

I own the early LMC-1 and this year the UPA-5 and I could not be more pleased with the products and especially the telephone tech support.
You are not going to get that kind of telephone support from Marantz
or Denon. My Harmon 5 channel power amp could not drive my Martin Logan
Speakers I got but the UPA-5 has had no problem.
I highly recommend the products from this company.:)

M

MBauer

Audioholic
Emo UMC-1 Video Review

OK, I watched the review, yes it if free but I expect ads to be free? There was some testing done, good but little history.

I was interested in the review and I saw it mentioned in my Audioholics email update, since I once owned, and returned a buggy UMC-1, it caught my attention

For example I loved my UMC-1 but returned it in February of 2010 and they have been working on firmware updates for a long time, even Gene mentioned firmware updates.

Emo has some great products and it looks as if the UMC-1 will be one someday, maybe now?

BTW - XMC-1 (with HDMI 1.14nn) will be out "soon"

L

LCSeminole

Audiophyte
Firmware updating on the UMC-1 is by far one of the most painful and slow (and buggy) processes I've ever encountered. Check the Emotiva forums. If it weren't for Emonatics.com, I would've never found the updated USB drivers to be able to do a firmware update.
I've seen my share of this situation over on the Emotiva Lounge, but lets be fair on calling it a painful, slow and buggy process. There are many Lounge members that have never had a problem in updating their UMC-1 (I'm in this group and I've successfully updated 2 other UMC-1's where the owner was not able to, don't know why:confused:), and yes a fair amount that have not had been able to update for whatever reason. I have to scratch my head at times wondering why those that are having problems updating are having the problems? As for those calling for the streamlined software updating of Onkyo/Integra, yes it would be nice, but I have to point to Anthem, Cary & Rotel as their update process is quite similar to the UMC-1's, so Emotiva isn't the only processor company doing it this way.

Matt34

Matt34

It sounds like they have most of the bugs worked out, but just like video games I'm not forking over my money to be a beta tester for a buggy product. Get it right, then release it.

I most likely will never own a emotiva processor because of the history behind this one.

majorloser

majorloser

I've seen my share of this situation over on the Emotiva Lounge, but lets be fair on calling it a painful, slow and buggy process. There are many Lounge members that have never had a problem in updating their UMC-1 (I'm in this group and I've successfully updated 2 other UMC-1's where the owner was not able to, don't know why:confused:), and yes a fair amount that have not had been able to update for whatever reason. I have to scratch my head at times wondering why those that are having problems updating are having the problems? As for those calling for the streamlined software updating of Onkyo/Integra, yes it would be nice, but I have to point to Anthem, Cary & Rotel as their update process is quite similar to the UMC-1's, so Emotiva isn't the only processor company doing it this way.
Firmware updates should have been better executed. As a consumer it's either attempt the process yourself or send the unit back for Emotiva to update.

I will agree on calling the current process "painful, slow and buggy."

Hopefully the next generation XMC-1 will come with a more automated update system. It would be well worth additional money to have a unit able to update it's own firmware by simply installing a USB thumb drive with the new firmware downloaded from the internet. This method of firmware update has been used for many years in other consumer electronics products with great success. Even my older Oppo DVD player used this method.

I know the UMC-1 is priced well below it's competition. But price is not enough to be truly successful.

Convenience and ease of use are key to any products success in the consumer market.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis