Anthem MRX 300 Receiver First look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
On its face, the Anthem MRX-300 is a very capable receiver. We were surprised that they managed to get so many of the newer features into the receiver. The MRX-300 sports 3D support through a free firmware update, Dual-processor audio DSP, a 1080p24 mode, Dolby Volume, and Dolby ProLogic IIz. It has an HD radio tuner to expand your terrestrial radio choices, 80 watts x 7, two zones, and Anthem Room Correction system. It doesn't stream anything nor does it support MP3 players without a dock (which hasn't been released yet). Still, at $1000 MSRP, it's a solid entry level offering from a company whose name alone could command a higher price.

Discuss "Anthem MRX 300 Receiver First look" here. Read the article.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
I wonder if the HDMIs are version 1.4a. I doubt it with 3D being enabled via firmware update, and I don't see it specified on the website.

I find it difficult not to stick with the big boys for receivers (Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha etc), but i'd consider Anthem.

W

WCWC

Audiophyte
Fact checking?

The MRX-300 doesn't have an HD radio or 7.1 inputs like your first look mentions. The 80 W/channel is only with two channels driven. The MRX-300 is rated at 60W/channel with 5 channels driven. :rolleyes:

The MRX is at it's heart a digital receiver. Anything playing through the main channel is digitized so it can be run through ARC. Since that is the main benefit of this receiver over others. If you think ARC is better than competing room correction software Audessey, YPAO, or others, then this is the receiver for you. Give it a listen before you dismiss it out of hand, you may be an ARC convert.:)

04rex

Audioholic Intern
The MRX-300 doesn't have an HD radio or 7.1 inputs like your first look mentions. The 80 W/channel is only with two channels driven. The MRX-300 is rated at 60W/channel with 5 channels driven. :rolleyes:

The MRX is at it's heart a digital receiver. Anything playing through the main channel is digitized so it can be run through ARC. Since that is the main benefit of this receiver over others. If you think ARC is better than competing room correction software Audessey, YPAO, or others, then this is the receiver for you. Give it a listen before you dismiss it out of hand, you may be an ARC convert.:)
You are correct about the HD Radio, but wrong about the 7.1. It is a 7 channel receiver. :)

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Also note it sports Dolby Headphone. A nice late night or "quiet time" listening option. It is 33.4 lbs "unpacked" so it is one of the heavier entry-level receivers out there. OK $1000 may not be entry level price but from Anthem it certainly is! IR in/out and trigger out w/ RS-232 control a definite plus for some. A back-lit remote is also real nice but I believe that any Anthem customer (even in the sub $1k range) will be using a universal remote. Oh yeah a removable pwr cord and 3 yr warranty round out this quality product.

P

Parrot_HD

Enthusiast
I went in and demoed the 300 earlier this week and ended up buying one which will be in this coming Tuesday or Wednesday.

My viewing room has been very challenging to dial in for audio. The ARC technology looks to be really impressive and I'm hoping it will do a better job than my current receiver to EQ my room.

If all goes well I guess I can sell my BDP-83se since it will be used as a transport only. New receiver, new BDP-93...it's like Christmas all over again.

Last edited:
W

WCWC

Audiophyte
You are correct about the HD Radio, but wrong about the 7.1. It is a 7 channel receiver. :)
Yes, it is a 7 channel receiver and it has 7.1 pre outs to connect a future power amp, but it does not have 7.1 channel INPUTS like Tom seems to think it does.:)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
It's difficult to tell from their images, but the 'analog in' section could accommodate for the 7.1 analog in for multichannel. From the specs page on Anthem's website for the MRX 300:

INPUTS

• 4 HDMI Inputs
  • Analog Video Inputs: 4 Composite + 3 Component
  • Digital Audio Inputs: 2 Coaxial + 3 Optical
  • 7 Stereo Analog RCA Inputs
  • HDMI On-Screen Display – setup, video adjustments, status, song navigation

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Parrot_HD

Enthusiast
It's difficult to tell from their images, but the 'analog in' section could accommodate for the 7.1 analog in for multichannel. From the specs page on Anthem's website for the MRX
[/LIST]
There's no multichannel analog inputs on the Mrx series. There may be on the mrx900 if they ever release it but I don't believe they confirmed all the specs on that unit.

The 7 channel analog inputs that is referenced are just the standard pair analogs (6 pairs on back - 1 pair on front that work independently per input.

A

audit13

Audioholic Intern
Reviews for the mrx-500 and mrx-700 have all been positive. Since the mrx-300, mrx-500, and mrx-700 use a lot of the same circuitry, the mrx-300 @ $1000 msrp will give a lot receivers a run for their money in sound quality rather than features.

P

Parrot_HD

Enthusiast
Just received a call that my 300 just came in.

I think I'm going to hook it up without the external amp first to see how it does with my speakers.

M

Miketuason

Audioholic Intern
Hello to all, I am planning to buy one the MRX 300 in the next few days. Recently I was so close in buying the Rotel RSP-1570 but after reading all the reviews about it, it scares me away from it because of all the issues Rotel has. Now after reading all the post on this thread, all I can see are positives feedback and I am now leaning about 75% towards the MSW-300.

My main purpose for the 300 are to use the preamp and the processor of the 300 for both stereo listening and HT purpose. Since I already have the external amps (McIntosh) I will be using the pre out on the back panel. Hopefully the 300 will improve my sound quality of my system over my existing Yamaha RX-V 765. As far as speaker, I have the Vandersteen 2CE Signature II.

Anymore comment why I should buy the MRX-300? Thanks.:)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello to all, I am planning to buy one the MRX 300 in the next few days. Recently I was so close in buying the Rotel RSP-1570 but after reading all the reviews about it, it scares me away from it because of all the issues Rotel has. Now after reading all the post on this thread, all I can see are positives feedback and I am now leaning about 75% towards the MSW-300.

My main purpose for the 300 are to use the preamp and the processor of the 300 for both stereo listening and HT purpose. Since I already have the external amps (McIntosh) I will be using the pre out on the back panel. Hopefully the 300 will improve my sound quality of my system over my existing Yamaha RX-V 765. As far as speaker, I have the Vandersteen 2CE Signature II.

Anymore comment why I should buy the MRX-300? Thanks.:)
From what I've read on the web, ARC in Anthem is better than YPAO or Audessy but is it worth the exta money over your Yamaha? Only you can answer that one. Yamaha's preamp sections are excellent and have high SNR and lower distortion levels than many of the mega buck boutique brands out there. I own a Yamaha RX-V1800 with single point YAPO and it does a good job for my set-up. I have no complainst what's so ever.

What it comes down to for you is whether your willing to spend the extra money for ARC as you are only using it as preprocessor.

M

Miketuason

Audioholic Intern
From what I've read on the web, ARC in Anthem is better than YPAO or Audessy but is it worth the exta money over your Yamaha? Only you can answer that one. Yamaha's preamp sections are excellent and have high SNR and lower distortion levels than many of the mega buck boutique brands out there. I own a Yamaha RX-V1800 with single point YAPO and it does a good job for my set-up. I have no complainst what's so ever.

What it comes down to for you is whether your willing to spend the extra money for ARC as you are only using it as preprocessor.
Thanks 3db, my Yamaha sounds really good right now but, I was told that the sound quality will improve by going with the 300, is this true? Also which one do you think has a better preamp, the 300 or my Yamaha? Thanks.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks 3db, my Yamaha sounds really good right now but, I was told that the sound quality will improve by going with the 300, is this true? Also which one do you think has a better preamp, the 300 or my Yamaha? Thanks.
Who told you that the sound would improve? The thing is that there many a audiophile out there who automatically assume that a boutique brand will sound better then your standard consumer brand...such as the case we have here. Anthem makes excellent products but so does Yamaha. The pre-amps in both are very good, so good that you would not hear a difference between the two in a DBT. The specs may be better on the Yamaha than the Anthem but even the Anthems specs are so far below the point of being audable that it becomes a moot point. What it comes down to is ARC verses YPAO. ARC is better than YPAO but like I said before, I have a receiver with YPAO and I'm very pleased with the results. If you're happy with your Yamaha, save your money for a speaker upgrade, display upgrade, subwoofer upgrade, room acoustic upgrades or more music/Blu Rays. If it ain't broke, don't look to fix it. :)

M

Miketuason

Audioholic Intern
Good advise 3db, I think I have a change of heart, I am now thinking about getting the Integra 40.2 Prepro, any comment? Thanks,:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis