Marantz AV7005 Networking A/V Processor Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Marantz has released a solid feature packed product with their new AV7005 Networking A/V Processor. It doesn't quite go the extra mile in terms of features but its audio and video performance are top notch. The AV7005 really delivers; I just couldn't fault its sonic performance. Channel separation abilities are much better from what I've heard with the Marantz SR6003 A/V receiver which was not quite in the same league. The Anchor Bay video-processing chip offers excellent upscaling performance, while High Definition performance is equally impressive. Marantz's approach to hide the main display behind a front plate gives the unit a clean look. It can be matched with the new MM7055 or MM7025 multichannel amplifiers that also come with their new portview design. Highly recommended to the discriminating Audioholic wanting a high performance separates solution at a reasonable price.

Discuss "Marantz AV7005 Networking A/V Processor Review" here. Read the article.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hats off to you Frans!

Very nice review of a very nice processor indeed!
Oh, BTW, be welcome to the AH Reviewres family though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good review.

You mentioned that XLR offers 6dB over regular unbalanced RCA connections.

But I thought this only applies to "fully balanced" designs from input to output.

Since most pre-pros are not "fully balanced", including the $7,500 Anthem pre-pro, I assume that the Marantz pre-pro is also not "fully balanced".

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
RE: 6dB

I should probably clarify that part of his review. You get a boost of 6dB at the pre/pro but the matching amp balanced inputs are usually 6dB lower to compensate. Thus the net gain is unchanged if the pre/pro balanced output is 6dB hot and the matching balanced amp is 6dB lower than unbalanced.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So in general, a balanced design should theorectically offer better SNR compared to an unbalanced one.

But this is more the case of a "fully" balanced design, right?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
ut this is more the case of a "fully" balanced design, right?
Correct, also lower distortion too. Very few amplifiers are fully balanced from input to output however.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you for the review.

Regarding the Audyssey portion, I am glad that you finally gave it a shot and have been pleasantly surprised. You should know however that distance and level settings are relative, and not absolute. So, the levels are not necessarily off.

Also, the distance accuracy of Audyssey has been stated by Chris to be finer than 0.1' ft, IIRC. If you describe your setup to him, you might ask how this might have happened. Perhaps additional filters with certain speakers means that new delays have been created. But, yeah, 10cm is what, like 0.0003 of a second?

Marantz has always been a generation behind with Audyssey tech. They only even released the XT version when the XT32 became available with other brands. Historically, they are sometimes known not to have enough processor power to simultaneously use Audyssey with things like advanced codec decoders, or matrixing for extra channels. I doubt this would be an issue with this processor, however.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Great review! Poor Frans had to take apart his brand new pre.. hilarious!

curious if the improved channel separation he noticed was in the pre-amp or moreso his new amplifier.... he is comparing a pre-pro/amp to a receiver... Did he test the new amplifier with the old SR6003's preouts? Thanks.

Also I'm curious if Frans could elaborate on this part:

"I played "Life in Technicolor II (Vocal)" by Coldplay and "Wonderful Life" by Hurts. Before I tried Audyssey, both songs sound like the way my mornin' poop looks like (all mashed up and one big pile). And after you ask? Same thing! So I guess it has nothing to do with EQ. Then I remembered what they taught me back at the university: "garbage in = garbage out". Nice songs, sure, but obviously mastered by a deaf three year old. Audyssey won’t change any of that."

While that's certainly true, I want to know if the AV7005 removed the old marantz "M-DAX" feature. Thanks.

Last edited:
Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for your comments so far. I hope the absence of objective measurements isn't bothering you guys too much. I'm pretty sure Audioholics will release a bucket of those with the SR7005 review.

While that's certainly true, I want to know if the AV7005 removed the old marantz "M-DAX" feature. Thanks.
Actually, Marantz upgraded M-DAX with a new version. In my experience, the low setting seems to work on high frequencies more than it does the low end. The new version sounds a bit more "refined" than the previous version included with the SR6003 (among other models). The high setting is way too "boomy" for my taste. Excuse me for using What's Hifi-esque terminology. I'll try to explain.

As you all know M-DAX tries to restore details in the recording that are lost due lossy compression. MP3 compression trashes a lot of the exciting high frequencies and M-DAX will help you with that. There's a pretty easy way to put M-DAX to the test. I've listened to Queen recordings a lot and Freddie Mercury's famous overbite-"S" tones gets raped in 128KB/sec MP3's. The low setting of M-DAX restores this rather well. The high setting is usually too much for my taste and artificial sounding. The new M-DAX version works better, but stay clear of the high setting because both low and high frequencies are put into overdrive. You'll get tired of it quickly. I assume this setting is useful only when not using a subwoofer or something.

There's usually no need for M-DAX when listening to 256KB/sec AAC purchased in iTunes. There are pretty good. To me this is an indication M-DAX is mostly designed for MP3's in the 128 / 192 bitrate range. Making it perfect for for internet radio and Last.FM.

I don't think the issues I encountered with those two songs are down to EQ or room issues. I tried just about any setting on the AV7005 to iron out the uncomfortable sounds, but to no avail. Interesting, I think! :eek:

I promise won't mention any more poop, Ratso. Unless you're referring to the review as a whole. That you have to take up with Gene. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I was considering the SR7005 but I am disappointed with it's measured (HTM) cross talk and SN figures. The power amp section seems weak too but that doesn't bother me. I hope the AV7005 can do better. Otherwise given that I want to stick with Audyssey, I would have to wait for the 4811.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was considering the SR7005 but I am disappointed with it's measured (HTM) cross talk and SN figures. The power amp section seems weak too but that doesn't bother me. I hope the AV7005 can do better. Otherwise given that I want to stick with Audyssey, I would have to wait for the 4811.
Where was the review? HTM?

What were the values?

Personally, being a Spec-whore that I am, I wouldn't touch anything that doesn't have at least a -90dB crosstalk and 100dB SNR.

And then when I see crosstalk values in the -50s dB or -60s dB @ 1kHz, I start laughing out loud.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, I have to ask what's wrong with the 4311?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, I have to ask what's wrong with the 4311?
Nothing gold plated:D, no AL24 advanced (4308/10 have that in all 7 channels), no wifi etc, nothing really wrong other than going from the 4308 it would make me feel like a very minor upgrade in terms of HDMI inputs and a little downgrade in the other departments.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Where was the review? HTM?

What were the values?

Personally, being a Spec-whore that I am, I wouldn't touch anything that doesn't have at least a -90dB crosstalk and 100dB SNR.

And then when I see crosstalk values in the -50s dB or -60s dB @ 1kHz, I start laughing out loud.
From the Jan 2011 issue I received in the mail on Friday:

Cross talk L to R, Cross talk R to L, SN

Yamaha RX-A2000 -87.13 -83.44 -107.68

Pioneer VSX-1120 -89.92 -87.33 -102.7

Marantz SR7005 -77.2 -76.63 -98

All 3 reviews were done by Mr. Mark Fleischmann so I assume the test procedures were the same. He gave all 3 top pick with 5 stars for performance. I think the Marantz has good enough numbers and the others are just better. The Yamaha would have been my choice if it had the Audyssey XT32.

Mid range Denon and Yamaha AVRs do seem to yield better HTM measured specs except for power outputs. I no longer value their measured ACD output numbers unless they can take their measurements with the protective circuits disabled. Otherwise those with more aggressive (probably means more advanced in some cases) protective systems will always yield much lower ACD (typically 7 channel driven) numbers.

I am hoping to see some measurements for the AV7005 soon. Since it does not include the power amp section so for a fair comparison with the likes of the RX-A2000 and AVR-4311 I would like to say something >-110 dBrA

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Jan 2011 HTM issue:

Marantz SR7005: -76.63dB Crosstalk, -98dB SNR @ 1kHz, 1watt
Yeah, I wouldn't buy it either.

What about this (also HTM):

Arcam AVR500 $3,500: -76.83dB Crosstalk, -94.52dB SNR @ 1kHz, 1watt

And people say Arcam is all that???:confused:

And what about this:

AudioControl Concert AVR-1 $5,500: -75.00dB Crosstalk, -99.24dB SNR

http://www.hometheater.com/receivers/audiocontrol_concert_avr-1_av_receiver/index3.html

How pathetic of a Crosstalk is that for a $5,500 AVR?:eek:

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
Someone Had to Ask!!!

How does this compare to the UMC-1 in sound quality? I know the Marantz has it beat feature-wise, but in just sound quality I think it would be close. Anyone care to offer a reply if you've heard both units?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Stopped into my dealer and he gave me a number I could not refuse. I now have one on order.:D

Now I need to sell the 885.:rolleyes:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What about this (also HTM):

Arcam AVR500 $3,500: -76.83dB Crosstalk, -94.52dB SNR @ 1kHz, 1watt

And people say Arcam is all that???:confused:
I also thought the AVR300 sounded very sweet a few years ago when I was shopping for speakers. Over time I realized that it was partially due to the speakers (it was hooked up to the Veritas that I ended up with) and the fact that I had previously read rave reviews on Arcam products so there were elements of preconception and Placebo effects at work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis