Marantz AV7005 Networking A/V Processor Review

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does Marantz have a setting to turn off the tacky, juvenile blue neon light around the control knob?
What's wrong with the cool-blue?:D

I remember the high-end Aragon Amps & Pre-pros also had that cool-blue look.:D

I like it.:D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
All I know is that in Direct Modes, I am confident that the AV7005 will sound every bit as great as any pre-pro out there, including the AVR-5308CI and AVP-A1HDCI.

I looked at the AV7005 brochure, and it says the SNR in DIRECT MODE is 105dBA:

http://us.marantz.com/AV7005.pdf
That is a 7.63 dB lower than the Denon AVR-4810's and it is for the preamp only. Compounded with the MM8003 that also claims 105 dB, the overall result would be even lower. What scares me is the measured SN of the SR7005, that also claims 105 dB in their published specs, same as the AV7005.

I have never seen any measured figures of the AV7005. The AV8003 has much better measured cross talk and SN figures but that thing is near high end and costs twice as much.

By the way, I noticed the HTM mag's THD vs Power output graph for the MM8003 looks strikingly similar to that for the 4810. The 4810 did a little better into 4 ohms while the MM8003 did slightly better into 8 ohms. It seems that at around 3K nothing beats the 4810 based on the HTM lab measurements, except for the ACD numbers that are bogus as I explained before, due to the way different protective system works.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What's wrong with the cool-blue?:D

I remember the high-end Aragon Amps & Pre-pros also had that cool-blue look.:D

I like it.:D
The old Sony ES models have the best diamond shape blue light, IMO. That one lights up on sensing DD/DTS 5.1.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is a 7.63 dB lower than the Denon AVR-4810's and it is for the preamp only. Compounded with the MM8003 that also claims 105 dB, the overall result would be even lower. What scares me is the measured SN of the SR7005, that also claims 105 dB in their published specs, same as the AV7005.

I have never seen any measured figures of the AV7005. The AV8003 has much better measured cross talk and SN figures but that thing is near high end and costs twice as much.

By the way, I noticed the HTM mag's THD vs Power output graph for the MM8003 looks strikingly similar to that for the 4810. The 4810 did a little better into 4 ohms while the MM8003 did slightly better into 8 ohms. It seems that at around 3K nothing beats the 4810 based on the HTM lab measurements, except for the ACD numbers that are bogus as I explained before, due to the way different protective system works.
Having second thoughts?:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Nope, I keep telling myself that those people are right, never mind the specs and measurements blablablablabla.......:D

I think it is worth spending a few K to find out if those guys are really right. The Marantz are on back order now and I am spending as much time as I can with my Denon.

By the way, did you notice that according to the HTM mag review the Marantz AV8003/MM8003 had much better S/N with RCA unbalanced input than balanced input. Do you know why? If true, I am going to stick with RCA so that I can use that 8 channel amp with my existing 2 channel Adcom that only has unbalanced inputs. Yep, that means I am going to passively biamp and waste some wires.:D

Frans

Frans

Junior Audioholic
Does Marantz have a setting to turn off the tacky, juvenile blue neon light around the control knob? I dont see the point of going to all the trouble to hide the buttons then feature that ugly light. It ruins what would otherwise be a half decent looking unit.
Lol! Yes, you can turn the juvenile blue neon light off. Goes for SR7005, AV7005, MM7055 and MM7025. I like my juvenile light set in "Juvie-mode". Yet, despise all my flaws, I'm an everlasting teenager at 27. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nope, I keep telling myself that those people are right, never mind the specs and measurements blablablablabla.......:D

I think it is worth spending a few K to find out if those guys are really right. The Marantz are on back order now and I am spending as much time as I can with my Denon.

By the way, did you notice that according to the HTM mag review the Marantz AV8003/MM8003 had much better S/N with RCA unbalanced input than balanced input. Do you know why? If true, I am going to stick with RCA so that I can use that 8 channel amp with my existing 2 channel Adcom that only has unbalanced inputs. Yep, that means I am going to passively biamp and waste some wires.:D
These days specs don't mean very much, except to the spec whores.:D

But being a spec whore that I am, yes I have noticed a few times with various brands and components when the unbalanced RCA inputs actually had BETTER measurements than the balanced inupts with not only SNR, but also crosstalk & FR, which in the end are insignificant.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've just become aware of this preamp/processor; and, I wonder how it sounds, compared to my 10 year old Sony TA-E9000ES. I like that Marantz has discarded S-VHS inputs/outputs on this model. My last experience with Marantz was back in the late 70's with a 3800 preamp, which was a piece of...well, let's just say, it has caused me to replace with Sony components.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
:D
Actually I do have one concern. Without the Dlink I am not sure if I can still use my DVD3910 to play SACD/DVDA via it's premitive HDMI. I am going to have to dig out the manual. Too bad Marantz does not have the Denon Link.:D

OTOH, this may give me the excuse to consider the Oppo95.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
:D

Actually I do have one concern. Without the Dlink I am not sure if I can still use my DVD3910 to play SACD/DVDA via it's premitive HDMI. I am going to have to dig out the manual. Too bad Marantz does not have the Denon Link.:D

OTOH, this may give me the excuse to consider the Oppo95.
Since the DVD3910 only has HDMI 1.0, I doubt that it can bitstream DSD SACD.

Even my $2,000 Denon DVD-4010UD player cannot bitstream DSD SACD via HDMI!

I have to use Denon-Link as well to get DSD SACD.

Denon is kind of retarded in this regard since an older $200 Oppo player can bitstream DSD SACD blind-folded in its sleep.:eek::D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Since the DVD3910 only has HDMI 1.0, I doubt that it can bitstream DSD SACD.

Even my $2,000 Denon DVD-4010UD player cannot bitstream DSD SACD via HDMI!

I have to use Denon-Link as well to get DSD SACD.

Denon is kind of retarded in this regard since an older $200 Oppo player can bitstream DSD SACD blind-folded in its sleep.:eek::D
It can do it via Firewire but I don't think the AV7005 has Firewire. Actually I may as well use the 3910's 5.1 analog outs. I have no 7.1 SACD discs anyway so 5.1 is fine except I have to read up on the bass management thing about using the analogs. The 3910 has better DAC than the 4308 so in terms of SQ there should be no loss.

You know I did pay close to 2K also back in 2005 but that was stupid, should have bought an Oppo.

T

TommyV

Audiophyte
The Marantz AV7005 pre/pro, as well the SR7005 receiver, have the Asahi Kasei Microdevices AKM DAC on board, the AK4358 chip DAC; a single 8-channel DAC on a chip.

* @ http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/...58/ak4358.html
This is a shame they are sticking with the single chip solution like on the AV8003. You would hope that and pre/pro of this caliber would utilize 4x 2ch DACs from someone like Wolfson or Burr Brown. It makes no sense why they would cheap out on the DAC like this. Most high end BD players have a better analog section than on this pre/pro. Makes one want to just invest in a high end universal player, stick with the analog outputs and keep my current pre/pro that has much better build quality.

I was really hoping they would not go this route with the AV7005 but I appreciate the info. I have not heard this unit in person but just learning of them using a cheap single DAC chip solution that comes in mid level BD/DVD players really makes me wonder what else they cheaped out on.

Anyone have some high resolution interior pics?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It seems like most companies are just trying to increase profits by cutting costs.

I can find it in my heart to forgive them if they prove 2 things:

1) the end result sound quality is just as good
2) the reliability is just as good

I think the SQ will be just as good, but only time will tell if reliability will be just as good.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
This is a shame they are sticking with the single chip solution like on the AV8003. You would hope that and pre/pro of this caliber would utilize 4x 2ch DACs from someone like Wolfson or Burr Brown. It makes no sense why they would cheap out on the DAC like this. Most high end BD players have a better analog section than on this pre/pro. Makes one want to just invest in a high end universal player, stick with the analog outputs and keep my current pre/pro that has much better build quality.
There has been talk about Marantz coming out with the AV8005, in fact Audyssey even confirmed which devices will be added to the list to have the ability to run Audyssey PRO with the updated 3.4 software....
http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=19422057&postcount=32535

So it looks like there will be a more professional unit that will likely fill in the missing gaps that the 7005 has such as DACs and a good chance there will be Audyssey XT32 as well... I may just have to wait for that one...

In a private PM with Chris from Audyssey, he stated that Marantz was roughly 6 months behind the other early adopters when I asked about XT32, which led me to believe that there was a unit in the works to be released at a later date.... seems to all be adding up to an 8005

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Great. All I hear from Marantz (local dealer, regional rep) people is there is no such thing as the 8005 so I get the 7005 and now you provide this info from one of their software providers.:confused:

I just got the 7005 in the rack last night and I spent the whole night trying to chase down the buzzing my amps are making now. I know it is not the 7005 so that is a relief but it was not there before so I'm struggling to find the cause.

T

TommyV

Audiophyte
It seems like most companies are just trying to increase profits by cutting costs.

I can find it in my heart to forgive them if they prove 2 things:

1) the end result sound quality is just as good
2) the reliability is just as good

I think the SQ will be just as good, but only time will tell if reliability will be just as good.
SQ just as good as what though? I may be holding Marantz to a higher standard than you. Even if we look back just a little at some Marantz/Denon AVRs, they had a more discrete DAC configuration. I just cannot bring myself to accept running the digital audio from my entire theater through one mid level single chip solution 8 ch DAC that belongs in a budget DVD player. The pre/pro is center of the whole system. Go cheap there and everything suffers.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry adk, that info was posted 2 months ago, and I don't really follow the audyssey thread, but there was a post yesterday, that led me to that post, so It kinda clicked for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19763001#post19763001

Chris @ audyssey would not confirm nor deny the info when I was asking before the 7005 came out, whether there would be a Marantz with XT32. Then the new audyssey pro software 3.4 stuff started to surface, which he then implied, in the link to the post - directly addressing Kal Rubinson's question with the model number of marantz units..... So IMO, I take it as a no bullspit post from Chris.....

Last edited:
T

TommyV

Audiophyte
There has been talk about Marantz coming out with the AV8005, in fact Audyssey even confirmed which devices will be added to the list to have the ability to run Audyssey PRO with the updated 3.4 software....
http://72.9.159.100/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=19422057&postcount=32535

So it looks like there will be a more professional unit that will likely fill in the missing gaps that the 7005 has such as DACs and a good chance there will be Audyssey XT32 as well... I may just have to wait for that one...
Only issue I have there is the AV8003 suffered from the same thing. One single cheapo 8 ch DAC. They were charging quite a bit for that unit as well. I hope you are right and this is not a trend of things to come. Hopefully the new pre/pro is worthy of the price tag with some adequate hardware to back it up.

I had high hopes for the 7005. It had some things going for it on paper. Lots of HDMI inputs, high end scaling chip, and wow look at that price tag. I was let down though when I found out it followed in the same footsteps as the 8003 but at least not costing quite as much.

It is another monster, as tall as some of the tallest amps and AVRs. Space wasted on things like 8 ch balanced inputs. Only TWO of each S/PDIF connections (2x dig coax, 2x toslink). And then of course comes the news of the single DAC chip.

I wish companies were touting their high end DACs like they are touting high end video processing chips in the spec sheets. Has the public really gotten so far away from audio quality that they don't care about what DACs are used yet a major selling point is the ABT video chip?

Marantz,

Drop the radio, drop the phono input, drop the bluetooth and put those resources into what should be more important, the audio quality. Anyone who is buying a pre/pro over a AVR probably doesn't need the scratchy little tuner module or mediocre at best phono input and blue tooth I don't even know what to say about that. You could have hit a home run with this one but instead fouled out. . . again.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Marantz,

Drop the radio, drop the phono input, drop the bluetooth and put those resources into what should be more important, the audio quality.
This is exactly the reason I bought my D2v for my Main Setup, I do not need nor want all the fluff like internet radio or streaming media in my devices... Keep things simple and dedicated to excellent quality of incoming and outgoing audio hookups, DACs and implementation of room correction. Scaler is a bonus....

I in the end use 2-4 HDMI inputs on my stuff and that is it...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis