Blockbuster Video Files for Bankruptcy

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Blockbuster has officially filed for Bankruptcy today. This comes as no surprise to us since we’ve been predicting the demise of Blockbuster ever since Netflix came on the scene and changed the way people rent and stream movies to their homes. After sinking from mounting losses, rising debt and competitors that have better catered to Americans' changed media habits it was time to put the nail into their blue proverbial coffin. This marks the end of an era of the giant rental company that bought out local mom and pop video shops to put them out of business.

Discuss "Blockbuster Video Files for Bankruptcy" here. Read the article.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'm surprised it took as long as it did to finally happen.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That sucks. I HATE Netflix, throttling bastards. :mad:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
REDBOX! I use both Netflix and Redbox and at this point, I might actually drop Netflix. I have used Blockbuster once in the last 3 years, so it doesn't bother me that they are going. I was never happy with them.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
I have no love for Blockbuster. Put too many of my favorite 'mom & pop' stores of of business.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no love for Blockbuster. Put too many of my favorite 'mom & pop' stores of of business.
Ironically, the Hollywood Video in our neighborhood closed down (obviously) however the mom & pop video store in the same shopping center is still there, right next to the Redbox :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think that article mentioned it, but I heard on the news this morning that they planned to close 2000 of their 3000 stores nationwide as part of their filing.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
They are not gone yet, since the filing was for reorganization rather than liquidation. Unfortunately for me, the BB store at the end of my block is closing and the Red Box on the corner just doesn't do it. "Our" store had a great selection of indie and foreign films, most of which just are not there at Netflix, which has a fairly sucky selection. Red Box isn't even close. I need a new video store...now.

E

en sabur nur

Audioholic Intern
"In other words, we found a way out of paying our debts for bad business decisions and will use this method as a way to regroup and figure out how we can keep this sinking ship afloat and copy a business model that works such as Netflix".

Gene's quote sums up my thoughts too. They made poor decisions and when they made decisions at all, they were too late and implemented poorly. This filing proves that you can be a huge company, with billions of dollars in assets, and still fail miserably.
Just five years ago, management probably thought they could control the market and crush any competition. They obviously weren't paying attention to the market. However, the decision makers will probably keep getting paid like the company is successful.
I've been a Netflix customer for about seven years and love the service but I also like the choice of occasionally renting something from the video store. The poor decisions of Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Movie Gallery etc. have ruined that option for me. They didn't understand that they're current business model was in decline and should have scaled back they're stores a long time ago and adapted to the changes. Now their investors, employees and customers will feel the loss. As, much as I love Netflix, I don't want just one option in the marketplace. Redbox only has a few new release titles and that won't cut it. I also don't want to stand at a vending machine waiting in line.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
"In other words, we found a way out of paying our debts for bad business decisions and will use this method as a way to regroup and figure out how we can keep this sinking ship afloat and copy a business model that works such as Netflix".

Gene's quote sums up my thoughts too. They made poor decisions and when they made decisions at all, they were too late and implemented poorly. This filing proves that you can be a huge company, with billions of dollars in assets, and still fail miserably.
Just five years ago, management probably thought they could control the market and crush any competition. They obviously weren't paying attention to the market. However, the decision makers will probably keep getting paid like the company is successful.
I've been a Netflix customer for about seven years and love the service but I also like the choice of occasionally renting something from the video store. The poor decisions of Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Movie Gallery etc. have ruined that option for me. They didn't understand that they're current business model was in decline and should have scaled back they're stores a long time ago and adapted to the changes. Now their investors, employees and customers will feel the loss. As, much as I love Netflix, I don't want just one option in the marketplace. Redbox only has a few new release titles and that won't cut it. I also don't want to stand at a vending machine waiting in line.

I for one am sorry to see it go as its the only place where I live that offers any real variety and in quantities. I'm not going with Netflix because of the poor quality streaming due to bandwidth throttling of the major carriers up here. Netflix is p?? poor choice as far as I'm concerned.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I for one am sorry to see it go as its the only place where I live that offers any real variety and in quantities. I'm not going with Netflix because of the poor quality streaming due to bandwidth throttling of the major carriers up here. Netflix is p?? poor choice as far as I'm concerned.
I won't go back to Netflix because both times I was with them, they quickly started throttling me. Screw Netflix. I guess if BB goes out of business I just won't be renting movies anymore. Oh well, I guess I'll be saving $15 a month.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'm very happy with Netflix, but that's because I only rent (no stream). If I'm going to watch a movie, I want better than 2.0 anyways, and I want the least compressed 1080/24 possible.

After all, I was only paying $3 per BD rental for a while now. I just bumped up my subscription finally to unlimited BD rentals for $11/month. No late fees. I visit my mailbox everyday anyways.

What's not to like? :confused:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no problem with Netflix either. Between them and Redbox, there's more than enough to rent.

Since they are restructuring, I would expect to see them try to focus more on their "blue box" and streaming options.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I just hope the store near me stays open, being able to exchange movies in store there is the only thing that keeps me using their online service. If that store closes I'll stick with netflix and redbox.

Blockbuster = Spectacular fail. It is going to be used in business schools for years as an example of a company that simply couldn't adapt quickly to a changing market environment.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Blockbuster = Spectacular fail. It is going to be used in business schools for years as an example of a company that simply couldn't adapt quickly to a changing market environment.
It ain't over 'til it's over. They may make it back. They seem to have a plan now (finally). I keep hoping because video rental life with just Netflix, On Demand and Red Box is like being abandoned in the desert.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Blockbuster can rot as far as I'm concerned. At the B&M locations, the price of a rental is $4.99 + tax. Even if you return it within 24 hours, you pay the same price. Hollywood Video used to have an incentive if you returned the video within 24 hours of renting it, you'd receive a $1.00 credit towards a future rental.

Additionally, a few months back, we were late in returning 2 movies to Blockbuster. Normally, they call as a "reminder" to let us know they're approaching the due date. This time they didn't. They also didn't leave any messages that the videos had been returned late. We ended up not going back to the video store for over a month to get movies again, since we also use Red Box. Blockbuster turned the overdue rental fees over to a collection agency, who in turn, notified us to pay up the $10.50, or else ... our credit score could be affected.

R.I.P., Blockbuster.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just noticed today when I dropped by the bank that the Blockbuster that I used to go to is already a Gamestop, which means that store must have been closed for a while already. Gamestop has been expanding quite a bit, and I hate to say it but they probably should be paying attention to this whole debacle because they are doing exactly the same thing...

Blockbuster can rot as far as I'm concerned. At the B&M locations, the price of a rental is $4.99 + tax. Even if you return it within 24 hours, you pay the same price. Hollywood Video used to have an incentive if you returned the video within 24 hours of renting it, you'd receive a $1.00 credit towards a future rental.

Additionally, a few months back, we were late in returning 2 movies to Blockbuster. Normally, they call as a "reminder" to let us know they're approaching the due date. This time they didn't. They also didn't leave any messages that the videos had been returned late. We ended up not going back to the video store for over a month to get movies again, since we also use Red Box. Blockbuster turned the overdue rental fees over to a collection agency, who in turn, notified us to pay up the $10.50, or else ... our credit score could be affected.

They charged me for a movie that I had already returned and then threatened me in a similar fashion. I pretty much stopped using them at that point.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I'm very happy with Netflix, but that's because I only rent (no stream). If I'm going to watch a movie, I want better than 2.0 anyways, and I want the least compressed 1080/24 possible.

After all, I was only paying $3 per BD rental for a while now. I just bumped up my subscription finally to unlimited BD rentals for $11/month. No late fees. I visit my mailbox everyday anyways.

What's not to like? :confused:
I didn't think I would use the streaming but I have used it everynight since I signed up 2 weeks ago. We are watching the Tudors series and the streaming has been flawless. 2.0 sucks but not as bad as I thought it would and they are releasing 5.1 in the near future.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 2.0 isn't that bad at all. On most of what I have been streaming, I don't even notice it actually (comedies, documentaries, etc...)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis