Inglourious Basterds Blu-ray Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Cinema aficionados especially would have thought that with Quentin Tarantino behind the lens, a subject as wildly controversial as wiping out Nazis in WWII by a rogue band of Judaic super soldiers would yield an unforgettable experience. And while Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds is entertaining in select areas and moments, it just didn't deliver the tactile punch I was expecting, instead punctuated with drawn-out subtitle-ridden dialogue sequences and other elements that just became tiring to view. But how did the Blu-ray release fare? Read our comprehensive review to find out.

Discuss "Inglourious Basterds Blu-ray Review" here. Read the article.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I'm not a Tarantino fan because I thought it sucked hugely.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
A saw a Netflix review that summed it up well,
"Watched this movie because it was by Tarentino. After 153 minutes I decided it was 153 minutes wasted. There is nothing redeeming in this film unless one enjoys senseless killing and bad conversations. How this was awarded an Oscar shows the bias in the film industry. Would not recommend this to anyone."

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Background: Pulp fiction is one favorite movie of all times

However I agree IB [STRIKE]sucks[/STRIKE] is a terrible movie - The only bright spot is Christoph Waltz performance which he very rightly deserved supporting actor award. One could watch the movie just because of him.
Mélanie Laurent playing Shosanna is worth mention also.

Bottom line:
QT did extremely well with casting, but scenario is just plain awful.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked the movie for what it was, and the story, though contrived, was still at least interesting and I was more than entertained. I completley agree that the performances were worth the price of admission alone.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I just expected so much more going into this, based on what I had heard about it, and when Gene asked me to review it, I definitely had high hopes -- the end result was beyond disappointing, with, as I said, dreary dollops of stretches that included subtitled dialogue that just dragged on and on and on and...

Some moments showed promise -- such as when Roth's "Bear Jew" character comes funneling out of the cave with the baseball bat, and smashes the SS officer's head in...but after that, something just went horribly askew, and to me, this wasn't Tarantino's most noble effort.

Thanks for reading, and for all your opinions and thoughts!

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Cinema aficionados especially would have thought that with Quentin Tarantino behind the lens, a subject as wildly controversial as wiping out Nazis in WWII by a rogue band of Judaic super soldiers would yield an unforgettable experience. And while Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds is entertaining in select areas and moments, it just didn't deliver the tactile punch I was expecting, instead punctuated with drawn-out subtitle-ridden dialogue sequences and other elements that just became tiring to view. But how did the Blu-ray release fare? Read our comprehensive review to find out.

Discuss "Inglourious Basterds Blu-ray Review" here. Read the article.
Have you seen other QT films? They are all pretty much dialogue driven affairs punctuated by bursts of extreme violence. I don't think IB should have surprised anyone, unless you were expecting Hogan's Heroes with blood or something. You probably would have like that better anyway.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My only real criticism of the movie was the ending since it had no historical accuracy at all. I didn't read up on it prior so I thought it would be more factual. Other than that it was entertaining.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Have you seen other QT films? They are all pretty much dialogue driven affairs punctuated by bursts of extreme violence. I don't think IB should have surprised anyone, unless you were expecting Hogan's Heroes with blood or something. You probably would have like that better anyway.
I sure have seen other Tarantino films -- I mentioned a few of them in the review itself (i.e. Death Proof, Resivoir Dogs et al.). But as much as his style seems to be laced with a tendency to boggle the viewer with great gasps of shocking violence puncuated with bursts of steadystream dialogue -- and you're right, it is most of the time in his works -- I still think something was just "dry" and "missing" from Basterds that makes me think it could have been so much better in many areas.

It's just my personal opinion, though. ;)

C

ChillSinger

Audiophyte
Tarantino's world-war 2 effort is a very mixed bag: although it is a cinematographic tour-de-force and wonderfully polished in its technical execution, the nihilistic story feels like a waste of some great performances by the star-studded cast, Christopher Waltz and Diane Kruger being particularly excellent as Hans Landa and Bridget von Hammersmark. Although the violence may shock and the slick scenes may briefly hold the attention, ultimately this is as soulless and empty as Deathproof, and less likable in many ways. Pulp Fiction it is not.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Tarantino's world-war 2 effort is a very mixed bag: although it is a cinematographic tour-de-force and wonderfully polished in its technical execution, the nihilistic story feels like a waste of some great performances by the star-studded cast, Christopher Waltz and Diane Kruger being particularly excellent as Hans Landa and Bridget von Hammersmark. Although the violence may shock and the slick scenes may briefly hold the attention, ultimately this is as soulless and empty as Deathproof, and less likable in many ways. Pulp Fiction it is not.
Couldn't say this better myself

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis