2009 $750 Receiver Comparison Guide

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In this comparison article we look at receivers around the $750 price point. We have offerings from Yamaha and Harman Kardon at $649, Pioneer at $699, and Denon, Marantz, and Sherwood Newcastle at $799. While you'd think that the differences in receivers at this price point would be a matter of inches, you'd be wrong. Manufacturers are trying pretty hard to differentiate themselves. The question is - what do you need?

Discuss "2009 $750 Receiver Comparison Guide" here. Read the article.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Nicely done! It's good to see those guys compared. Surpirsed that the Denon didn't have multichannel outs....

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Nice article.

However the new Pioneer VSX-21 only weighs 29 lbs and not 36. However Pioneer only states this on the product sheet. 36 lbs is the shipping weight.

It would have also been nice to see the Onkyo TX-SR706. It came out around the same time as the HK. ;)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Nice article.

However the new Pioneer VSX-21 only weighs 29 lbs and not 36. However Pioneer only states this on the product sheet. 36 lbs is the shipping weight.

It would have also been nice to see the Onkyo TX-SR706. It came out around the same time as the HK. ;)
Also the 3po room correction, unless this a brand new feature for them:eek:

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Nice article. Its interesting that, with the exception of Sherwood there is not much difference between the different receivers. Enough that different receivers will be more attractive to different groups of people though.

I am a little surprised that you did not mention power handling (probably not the right term) in this group as it is something you highlighted in a separate article not that long ago. I am willing to bet that not all the receivers in this group will comfortably handle a 4 Ohm load and that will be important to some people.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Cool article.

Nice article.

Very good points anamorphic, thanks for the correction. There is always a considerable weight difference between net and shipping. It was probably only a small mishap from the litterature of the Pioneer receiver that Tom didn't catch in time.

As for an Onkyo receiver to not be included :eek: , I too feel a bit sad. I agree that it would have been nice to see the 706 included.
Too bad also that the TX-SR707 is not released yet, but just about. :)

I love comparisons like that, of receivers from various manufacturers.
Thanks Tom. :)

One thing I have to say; it's sad that from all of them, none offer a second HDMI output. :(

Now, from that list only, which one(s) is(are) the winner(s)?

Here's my own personal take: The Denon 890 And Sherwood 772; NO 7.1 Multichannel outputs?!!
Give ne a break!
The Sherwood; only 2 HDMI inputs!!! Unbelievable. Onkyo receivers (706 & 707) that cost much less, have 6 of them (and one on the front too).
The Pioneer Elite 21TX; only 5.1-channel input!!! Come on now! And for an Elite model?!!

Well, for my money, I would have to pick ....., got you!, I bet you guys were thinking that I would have pick the Yamaha 765, right? Close then, but no cigar. ;)

Nope sir, the one I'd spent my money on, would be the Marantz SR5003. :)
It has what I like most; Audyssey MultEQ XT, the heaviest of the six, at 28.8 pounds (well slightly behind the Elite at 29 lbs), the most gorgeous looking :) , two (2) components outputs, 7.1-channel inputs and outputs, and the Marantz sound quality, build, performance, reliability, ergonomics, value and best set of features overall.

The Yammy 765, would be my second choice, with the Harman Kardon 254 right at his side.
* Isiberian should be quite happy with that (HK). :)

Last edited:
anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Very good points anamorphic, thanks for the correction. There is always a considerable weight difference between net and shipping. It was probably only a small mishap from the litterature of the Pioneer receiver that Tom didn't catch in time.

As for an Onkyo receiver to not be included :eek: , I too feel a bit sad. I agree that it would have been nice to see the 706 included.
Too bad also that the TX-SR707 is not released yet, but just about. :)

I love comparisons like that, of receivers from various manufacturers.
Thanks Tom. :)

One thing I have to say; it's sad that from all of them, none offer a second HDMI output. :(

Now, from that list only, which one(s) is(are) the winner(s)?

Here's my own personal take: The Denon 890 And Sherwood 772; NO 7.1 Multichannel outputs?!!
Give ne a break!
The Sherwood; only 2 HDMI inputs!!! Unbelievable. Onkyo receivers (706 & 707) that cost much less, have 6 of them (and one on the front too).
The Pioneer Elite 21TX; only 5.1-channel input!!! Come on now! And for an Elite model?!!

Well, for my money, I would have to pick ....., got you!, I bet you guys were thinking that I would have pick the Yamaha 765, right? Close then, but no cigar. ;)

Nope sir, the one I'd spent my money on, is the Marantz SR5003. :)
It has what I like most; Audyssey MultEQ XT, the heaviest of the six, at 28.8 pounds (well slightly behind the Elite at 29 lbs), the most gorgeous looking :) , two (2) components outputs, 7.1-channel inputs and outputs, and the Marantz sound quality, build, performance, reliability, ergonomics, value and best set of features overall.

The Yammy 765, would be my second choice, with the Harman Kardon 254 right at his side.
* Isiberian should be quite happy with that (HK). :)
My vote is for the Marantz as well. The Marantz along with the HK have the most robust amp sections of all the receivers listed. The HT magazine did a review of the 5003 and it produced 103 watts per channel at .1% distortion with all channels driven and 88.2 watts with all 7 channels driven. Pretty impressive in my book.

The 5003 is actually on my list but I have really grown to like the Audyssey Dynamic EQ function on my Onkyo. So it's coming down to these two receivers. Plus I can get the Onkyo much cheaper.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
My vote is for the Marantz as well. The Marantz along with the HK have the most robust amp sections of all the receivers listed. The HT magazine did a review of the 5003 and it produced 103 watts per channel at .1% distortion with all channels driven and 88.2 watts with all 7 channels driven. Pretty impressive in my book.

The 5003 is actually on my list but I have really grown to like the Audyssey Dynamic EQ function on my Onkyo. So it's coming down to these two receivers. Plus I can get the Onkyo much cheaper.
Wow! I'm impressed and at the same time I'm not surprised at all.

I did not read, just yet, the review of the Marantz SR5003.

And if the Onkyo TX-SR706 (or 707) would be part of that list, I think that it would have end up in second place, right along the Yamaha and Harman Kardon receivers.
Or perhaps, slightly ahead of them. Yeah, slightly ahead of the Yammy and HK, with it's 6 HDMI inputs and Audyssey Room EQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, THX Select2 Plus, preouts for all channels, 7.1 multichannel input (depending of the model: 706 or 707), and the Onkyo name. :)
Yep, sorry Yamaha and Harman Kardon (Isiberian too), but you just don't cut it anymore. You are now both going down hill, visiting your little friends; Denon, Pioneer Elite and Sherwood Newcastle. :(

One Ring to rule them all: Marantz.
The finger for the ring: Onkyo.

:)

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Wow! I'm impressed and at the same time I'm not surprised at all.

I did not read, just yet, the review of the Marantz SR5003.

And if the Onkyo TX-SR706 (or 707) would be part of that list, I think that it would have end up in second place, right along the Yamaha and Harman Kardon receivers.
Or perhaps, slightly ahead of them. Yeah, slightly ahead of the Yammy and HK, with it's 6 HDMI inputs and Audyssey Room EQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, Audyssey Dynamic EQ, THX Select2 Plus, preouts for all channels, 7.1 multichannel input (depending of the model: 706 or 707), and the Onkyo name. :)
Yep, sorry Yamaha and Harman Kardon (Isiberian too), but you just don't cut it anymore. You are now both going down hill, visiting your little friends; Denon, Pioneer Elite and Sherwood Newcastle. :(

One Ring to rule them all: Marantz.
The finger for the ring: Onkyo.

:)
But at least Isiberian admits he made a mistake after getting the HK and wishes he had his Onkyo back. Admitting your mistake is half the battle so he can still be one of the cool kids. :D

A

anm

Audioholic Intern
I understand that the price mentioned are MRPs, but wouldn't it be fair if street prices are used for comparison? Amazon.com /JR etc can be taken as standard as these online stores are accessible by almost everyone.
HK 254 IIRC has support for iPod, though the dock is not included in the package. It is free with 354, which sells for $549 on amazon.

regards

G

gqmagic

Junior Audioholic
IMO the best $750 dollar receiver today is one that cost 2-3 times more in the not to distant past, like the Pioneer SC-05 which was going for $699 recently or the Marantz 8001 for $699 at AC4less or some of the 8002s that have sold recently for $650 to $950. Any of these top of the line models to me sound much better than their less expensive stablemates.

I've been watching some Marantz 8500s go for $350 to $400 in the last couple of weeks, and other than HDMI (which I don't need in my receiver at this point) has the same specs as the 8001 and 8002s.

Sound Quality rules ( as I listen to Miles Kind of Blue) :D:D:D

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
But at least Isiberian admits he made a mistake after getting the HK and wishes he had his Onkyo back. Admitting your mistake is half the battle so he can still be one of the cool kids. :D
Oh I remember quite well about his experience with the Onkyo 705.
Now, he owns the HK 247 (sounds almost like an automatic riffle gun, isn't it?)

Anyway, deep in his heart, maybe, but deep in his posts, maybe not so.
He likes very much his HK 247, because he still recommends it; at least from the latest posts that I read from him. So, he might have a sour spot for the Onky, but he has a place in his heart also for the HK 247. It seems like.

"Cool kid", I like that. :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I understand that the price mentioned are MRPs, but wouldn't it be fair if street prices are used for comparison? Amazon.com /JR etc can be taken as standard as these online stores are accessible by almost everyone.
HK 254 IIRC has support for iPod, though the dock is not included in the package. It is free with 354, which sells for $549 on amazon.

regards
I totally agree with you, but you have to remember, that without looking at the prices first, you can make your own choice, based first on features, performance, ergonomics, build quality and good looks. :)

Then, you look at the MSRP at last, to see id it compares well with the others.

And finally, you search for the best street prices, to get the best possible deal on the receiver you wish for, based on more important matters of the equation. Value is certainly a big aspect of a component, but it is not an indicator of performance and features, and build quality; right?

That's my way of priorities; and this, with everything in life. :)

* Now, you're talking about the HK 254 having support for an i-Pod.
So, I know for sure, that you are an i-Pod user, and that is a feature that you're looking for in a receiver. You're not the only one as you well know; there are many i-Pod users out there from all generation, and class of people.
Same for people that love to use an USB port.
And Sirius radio, and XM radio, and HD radio, and Internet radio, and what have you from the compressed world of music...

So, you see, there are so many different type of people with their own set of feature's desires, different priorities, cheapest possible receiver for money wise (because of their available budget), and so on, so on...

That's the nice thing in life; you got a choice of various features to satisfy your priorities, and at various price points too. :)

At the end, it's all about personal CHOICE.
Ain't Freedom sweet?
In the heart of our human society?

Cheers,
Bob

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Demonstration ==> Check this out.

IMO the best $750 dollar receiver today is one that cost 2-3 times more in the not to distant past, like the Pioneer SC-05 which was going for $699 recently or the Marantz 8001 for $699 at AC4less or some of the 8002s that have sold recently for $650 to $950. Any of these top of the line models to me sound much better than their less expensive stablemates.

I've been watching some Marantz 8500s go for $350 to $400 in the last couple of weeks, and other than HDMI (which I don't need in my receiver at this point) has the same specs as the 8001 and 8002s.

Sound Quality rules ( as I listen to Miles Kind of Blue) :D:D
Very true sir.

But is it besides the point here? What is the point to do a comparison of receivers, from a similar MSRP, and from a release date also close, that Tom spent time to do, if we choose something else completely different, that is not even included in the list?

What's the fun of it?

I think that we should compare oranges with oranges, and apples with apples.
Like for example, why not compare receivers that are a year old with their counterparts. And two-year old receivers with others of the same age.

You first mentioned the Pioneer Elite SC-05. Wouldn't it be fair to compare that receiver with one of the same era, and with a similar MSRP?
Lesse, the SC-05 was released last year, is it? And it's MSRP is $1,800 USA.
Now, what have we? The Onkyo TX-SR876 was also released last year, and it has a MSRP of $1,799 (one dollar less!). Close enough, I'll say.
OK, let's add one more up, to make it short (but believe me, I can add several more). Lesse, the Denon AVR-3808ci; it was also released last year, and has a MSRP of $1,699 ($100 or so difference).
OK now, we just keep these three. (I could have add up the Marantz SR8002, the Yamaha RX-V3800, or 3900, the Rotel RSX-1058, sorry, no Sherwood Newcastle R-972, just not yet ;) , the Sony ES STR-DA4400ES, sorry, the Harman Kardon AVR 7550HD at a MSRP of $2,799 does not count, and the NAD T 765 is a bit too much at a MSRP of $2,299.)

OK, we have three receivers that fall in the MSRP of $1,700-$1,800 price range (any other receiver within a MSRP of $1,700-$2,000 price range would qualify to be on that list); and you can do the same with 2, 3, 4 or more years old models.

I was saying that now we have three receivers from our one year old list. Let's see their best value, according to their performance (audio/video, after all they are A/V receivers), build quality, features, ergonomics, and last but not least, their respective very best street prices. :)
Can you already feel the nice perfume from the gentle breeze? :)

* Best street prices, easily available from reputable authorized dealers:

1. Pioneer Elite SC-05 = $699 USA (that's 61% off from the MSRP).
2. Onkyo TX-SR876 = $899 USA (was at that price for quite some time; that's 50% off from the MSRP).
3. Denon AVR-3808ci = $999 (that was and still the best price; that's 41% off from the MSRP).

Now, from here, I can go on and on about all their pros and cons. But that would take me an entire thread just for that, no kidding. :)
You'll be amazed at what I know from these receivers, and much more; just take my word for it, for simplicity sake, and for sparing me the time and energy to do so, in a very elaborate and throughfull exploration of all the external and internal planetary cosmos system. :)

So, I'll be very brief from now on. Again, look at them, they are just right here, just 5 lines above, with their best street prices. Can you see them? Only three of them (1, 2, & 3).

*** So? What is the one with the very best value, from these three? ***

That's it! I'm done! I told you that I would be very brief! :)

It's that last question (***); that each one of us can answer from our own set of rules that apply to each individual, from his own personal preference, based on his own agenda, with his own speakers, his own room, his own personal choice of music and movies, his own setting of the Master Volume knob... and his own amount of money available in his own wallet from his own pocket of his own pair of pants; that can determine the true value of any of these three receivers, here mentioned, from my example.

Me,... personally,... I already made my choice.
And, it seems, that you already made yours too, sir. :)

* By the way, I love "Kind of Blue", from Miles. :cool:

Best regards,
Bob

--> Note: The bench tests for the three receivers mentioned here, in my example, for simple explanation purpose; are easily available, all over the Wide World Web of the Internet. If you desire to have the links from me, I will be delighted to provide them to you personally, for your own personal benefice; and also, for the benefice of ALL.

Last edited:
R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Out of this list, the Marantz or HK would be my pick with Denon following closely behind. The HK 254 (refurbished) can be had for $220 on eBay right now and can't be touched by any of the competitors at that price.

C

cynan

Enthusiast
Amplifier Section of Last Year's Denon AVR-889 vs 890

The power specs for the last year's version of the Denon are more impressive than the Marantz. Home Theater Hifi's review of the AVR-2309 (essentially the same as the AVR-889, minus second remote and 12 volt trigger, etc) measured it's ability to output 130 watts/channel in stereo into 8 ohms and 170 watts into 4 ohms before the THD started to spike above 0.02% THD. A British magazine (homecinemasound) reported 153 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 221 watts/channel into 4 ohms for stereo and also the ability to drive 5 channels at 105 watts/channel into 8 ohms, all at 0.5% THD. As far as I know, no 7 channel test has been published on this model.

The big HOWEVER, is that the AVR-890 is over 2 Ibs lighter than last year's AVR-889 - and is made in China, whereas the 889 was made in Japan. Furthermore, looking at the dimensions of the case and configuration of the internals, it seems that last year's 889 was based on the 989 (both made in Japan), whereas this year's 890 is more similar in dimensions to last year's 789 (both made in China). Therefore, I am speculating (strong emphasis here) that the amplifier section in the 890 may be in fact less "beefy" than last years 889, even though it claims a 5 watt/channel increase.

Proper tests of the AVR-890 will tell whether it can live up to or surpass the performance of last years AVR-889/2309. But I remain skeptical for now.

Feature wise, the only appreciative upgrade over the 889, as far as I'm concerned, is the better Anchor Bay video scaler. Other than that it adds an extra HDMI input (though the 4 on the 889 was adequate in my opinion) and Dolby Pro Logic IIz, the gimmickyness of which is debateable..

Bottom line, If you are looking for a decent midrange receiver, and won't be depending on it for video scaling, you are best off saving some money and picking up last year's AVR-889, which now can be had for not too much over $500.

I agree that it is annoying that neither the 889 nor 890 have multiple preamp outputs. This is the only thing that is stopping these from being "take no prisoners" mid-range AVRs in my opinion.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I totally agree with you, but you have to remember, that without looking at the prices first, you can make your own choice, based first on features, performance, ergonomics, build quality and good looks. :)

Then, you look at the MSRP at last, to see id it compares well with the others.

And finally, you search for the best street prices, to get the best possible deal on the receiver you wish for, based on more important matters of the equation. Value is certainly a big aspect of a component, but it is not an indicator of performance and features, and build quality; right?

That's my way of priorities; and this, with everything in life. :)

* Now, you're talking about the HK 254 having support for an i-Pod.
So, I know for sure, that you are an i-Pod user, and that is a feature that you're looking for in a receiver. You're not the only one as you well know; there are many i-Pod users out there from all generation, and class of people.
Same for people that love to use an USB port.
And Sirius radio, and XM radio, and HD radio, and Internet radio, and what have you from the compressed world of music...

So, you see, there are so many different type of people with their own set of feature's desires, different priorities, cheapest possible receiver for money wise (because of their available budget), and so on, so on...

That's the nice thing in life; you got a choice of various features to satisfy your priorities, and at various price points too. :)

At the end, it's all about personal CHOICE.
Ain't Freedom sweet?
In the heart of our human society?

Cheers,
Bob
who is Isiberian lol

It's Lsiberian you two.

The 247 is suggested due to it's incredibly low cost and simplicity. Not for it's features. The 705 is the best receiver I've ever owned. And I wish I still had it some days. The THX tv mode was very nice for some shows.

The Logic 7 for music though is my favorite DSP.

Still I'd take an even trade between a 705 and 247 any day of the week. :) If interested i'll give you my shipping information. :D I've got a good rep on ebay if your worried.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

regards
The problem with using street prices is that street prices are variable, and change from time to time. So they would have to update the prices whenever there was a price change at Amazon (or wherever they used), if it were to be accurate. As it is, the MSRP gives one a ballpark idea of what one will need to think about regarding cost, and then one can go shopping. Obviously, if one finds a really good deal on one of them, that could make any of them the best choice for the money.

But, comparing them at MSRP, if I were buying one of them, and if I had to pay MSRP, I would pick the Yamaha. Probably, it will be easier to get greatly discounted, so it would probably actually be my choice if I were selecting one of those.

Of course, different people have different needs, and that can significantly affect one's choice. I, for example, have 4 sources with HDMI outputs, so I want at least 4 HDMI inputs on my receiver (though, in fact, I am using an HDMI switch box, because my actual receiver has only 3 HDMI inputs). I use HDMI to the TV, so I don't need the conversion to component. Etc. But different people have different needs, so a different receiver might be a better choice for them. And, of course, I am factoring in price, which is a real world consideration for me. I could afford any of them, but I don't want to spend more than I need to spend in order to get good sound and good convenience. At this price point, a difference of $150 matters.

As for the HK, several reviewers at Amazon claim to have problems with it. That is a good reason to think about something else.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
who is Isiberian lol

It's Lsiberian you two.

The 247 is suggested due to it's incredibly low cost and simplicity. Not for it's features. The 705 is the best receiver I've ever owned. And I wish I still had it some days. The THX tv mode was very nice for some shows.

The Logic 7 for music though is my favorite DSP.

Still I'd take an even trade between a 705 and 247 any day of the week. :) If interested i'll give you my shipping information. :D I've got a good rep on ebay if your worried.
Well well well. Thank you very much for the correction sir, or should I say Lsiberian. I really did not know that, I'm glad you finally mentioned it. User Names are kind of important to me, after all, people get to choose their own. :)

As for the rest of your post... I think that the newer HK AVR 254, as found by one of our member for only $220 (e-Bay), is quite a find at that price.
* Yep, agree, you should have kept that 705. ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The one thing I noticed is the insane amount of HDMI ports that are being offered by some of these models. Its analogous to cup holders in a minivan. :D
Truthfully, anyone here need 5 HDMI inputs? Blu Ray Player, WII, and an Xbox or Playstation? and either a cable or sateliite feed? I rather one or two less HDMI and a good strong P/S and amp section for that price. Kudo's to Denon for adding in a phono stage, something Yamaha as dropped from their entry line receivers but have managed to keep in their mid price range receivers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis