Best Buy Cuts Jobs, Refocuses on More Online Sales

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Best Buy laid off 250 employees at its Richfield, Minnesota headquarters today, while simultaneously creating 210 new positions.These layoffs are a pretty quick succession to 500 workers being voluntarily laid off just last month. Those voluntary layoffs were effective February 12 and resulted in a 13 percent reduction in the company's workforce. This comes just after Best Buy witnessed its top competition, Circuit City, go out of business.

Discuss "Best Buy Cuts Jobs, Refocuses on More Online Sales" here. Read the article.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I know shopping online is becoming more and more popular these days, but I really hate seeing B&M stores shrink, or go away. I always love to be able to go to one to kill time, or to get my hands on a product I'm considering purchasing. I'm not a big fan of Best Buy, but since Circuit City is all but gone, I don't have too many other options.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
This just stinks, hate to see anymore jobs lost.

I was at BB last night and it was empty, I had 6 employees ask if I needed help with anything.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
If it's anything like the Best Buy in my town....nobody is there b/c they don't have anything in stock anymore besides DVD's, cell phones, cd's, and a couple tv's. The computer, sound equipment, video game, bookshelf stereo/computer speakers, etc are all pretty much nonexistent. I too had about 4 people ask me if I needed help b/c they had nothing else to do. I won't be sorry to see places like BB go away.

E

efzauner

Enthusiast
This makes perfect sense with the cost of gas these days, especially for small things. In Canada we have so few online retailers it is criminal... A small store cannot sell online. Only the big box stores can cause they can claime to have stores in every location.. I think this is anti competitive as it continues a brick and mortar reserved territory mentality. I can order plumbing supplies from the US and have them delivered for less $ than buying them in a store here... not to mention it is often hard to find stuff up here!!

For appliance parts I have to make a trip to order, and a trip to pick up.. Online I do it from my sofa and its there the next day.. .

my nearest Futureshop/best buy is 15 miles away.. return thats 30 miles that is $3 just on gas to get there.. to buy a $15 cable? are you nuts?

on line sales encourage reduced traveling, fewer buildings. fewer huge parking lots.. everytihng stocked in one location.. efficient delivery

Onlne shoping is an acceptance that stores no longer provide the product information or experience needed to make informed decitions.. Look at Plasma vs LCD in store TORCH mode.. LCD wins.. yet at home Plasma wins.

With online reviews, test etc.. we can make very informed product decisions from our home with out the missinformation of Blose trained sales staff in stores.

Ed

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I've noticed less and less people shopping at Best Buy too.

They're all at the Wal-Mart next door.

I still go to Best Buy for some blu-ray, unless Wal-Mart has it.:D

The day I see Wal-Mart laying off workers will be a truly scary day.

Makes me wish I were a centillionaire so that I could open up giant electronics-speakers stores all over the US and employ every single person who needs a job!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You make more money than most people so you should open a couple of shops and at least employ the guys on here who have lost jobs.

Makes me wish I were a centillionaire so that I could open up giant electronics-speakers stores all over the US and employ every single person who needs a job!

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
The only troubling thing about it is the loss of jobs. There's already an oversaturation of eligible workers compared to the number of available employment opportunities...

The economics of it are too true. However, I doubt the big wigs are taking pay cuts to save some jobs... in fact, I know for certain they aren't...

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Our town had BB & CC as the two big electronics stores, CC of course is in liquidation right now but there is a new HHgregg store opening in March just a few minutes down the highway. I wonder how many familiar CC employee faces I am going to see there.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic

Heard from a cashier at Walmart that they laid off 300 suits in their AK headquarters.

I am in a county of around 500K and we have a BB, HH, (we had 2 CC) and one small upscale store for home audio and they only sell Rotel, B@W, Sony, and Integra. Our BB you can't even listen to the receivers:confused:

J/K Where am I going to be able to go to listen to what I can buy at a discount online?:rolleyes:

Yes we are all probably steering this in some way.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Heard from a cashier at Walmart that they laid off 300 suits in their AK headquarters.

I am in a county of around 500K and we have a BB, HH, (we had 2 CC) and one small upscale store for home audio and they only sell Rotel, B@W, Sony, and Integra. Our BB you can't even listen to the receivers:confused:

J/K Where am I going to be able to go to listen to what I can buy at a discount online?:rolleyes:

Yes we are all probably steering this in some way.
OOPPS meant in Walmart's AR office:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The economy will adjust and new jobs will eventually be created. It just takes time. It will be tough and it will hurt, but the shift will in the end improve us. We must refocus our labor in areas of growth, research and improvement. These folks need to be educated and put on solving the energy, healthcare, and other issues facing our world. So many jobs are a waste of energy. Waste must be reduced.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
The economy will adjust and new jobs will eventually be created. It just takes time. It will be tough and it will hurt, but the shift will in the end improve us. We must refocus our labor in areas of growth, research and improvement. These folks need to be educated and put on solving the energy, healthcare, and other issues facing our world. So many jobs are a waste of energy. Waste must be reduced.
Wow sounds like something out of a SCI-FI, what was the last movie you watched?:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Wow sounds like something out of a SCI-FI, what was the last movie you watched?:)
Rush Hour 3. I wouldn't consider that Sci-Fi funny as hell though. We gotta prepare ourselves to fight the aliens! I'm building my robot to do just that.;) I just hope they don't go Cylon on us.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis