Pioneer to Exit Flat Panel Market

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A flurry of activity has surrounded Pioneer this week, particularly centered around its flat panel display business. We caught a lot of heat with our article last year which predicted the eventual end of plasma display production for Pioneer. As it turns out, the company may be leaving flat panel production entirely, instead going the route of merely branding displays and possibly "guiding" technology. Rumors that Pioneer and their highly-rated Kuro plasma displays may soon exit the TV market are brought to you courtesy of a report in Japan's Nikkei newspaper.

Discuss "Pioneer to Exit Flat Panel Market" here. Read the article.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
branding displays. does that mean they will just slap their name on someone elses products ?

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
This is really disappointing news, but perhaps predictable with the current global economic challenges. :(

I'd better snap up a Kuro while I still can!

Wannabubble

Wannabubble

Junior Audioholic
First Fujitsu and now Pioneer. When will the madness end! :(

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
AAAAARRRG this is scary

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a PRO-151FD. Should I reaim my gun :eek: :eek: ?

Thanks for your advice,

MidCow2

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Now i have to get a pioneer kuro before they go extinct. Unfortunately i dont know where i will put. Perhaps in storage :confused:

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Usually, when a company like Pioneer rebrands, they take the glass and maybe the case and add their own electronics and/or processing. It is entirely possible that the Pio version will be superior over the Sharp/Panasonic. That being said, there are plenty of instances of a straight swap with little/no performance change. The only way to know is to test them.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Pioneer is not going to be rebabdging... they will completely exit the TV business and focus only on car electronics.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Pioneer only focussing on car electronics ??

Pioneer is not going to be rebabdging... they will completely exit the TV business and focus only on car electronics.
Yeah I remember when railroads were also Myoptic!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ok who is your source for this blatent mis information? So your saying that their av side is dead?

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
ja, all I got was that they are exiting flat screens and dvd players, and entering a partnership with sharp for new DVD players. I don't know if that entails blu-ray players or not, and certainly doesn't seem to incorporate their receivers.

I'll be interested to see if the Elite line continues throughout this restructuring, although we Americans are quite attached to nameplates and statuses (Lexus/Acura/Infiniti anyone?)

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Maybe midcow is making a bold prediction... you heard from him first!

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
What they are going to do is have Panasonic's new facilty in Asia make the Plasmas and then have them shipped to their plant for final assembly. Don't panic they will still put their own electronic controls in it.

Last edited:
A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I'm so glad you all acknowledge it's finally official, lol. Maybe I should post the news over at AV Forums next time!
I guess there was always hope that they would out source the entire production of Kuro technology to Panny or LG so that the sets could still be made. I'm still hoping that they will license their tech to someone so that we'll still be able to buy TVs that are this good in the near future. I was so hoping to get my hands on a "concept" Kuro next year. :( Now I'm a little torn - not sure whether to go ahead with the JVC projector purchase I'd planned or get a 60" 9G Pio instead while they are still available.

Oh and btw, it really wasn't official that they were leaving the TV business until today.

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Maybe they sold the technology to Panasonic and we will see this in Panasonics future models.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis