Four New Receivers from Pioneer

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At CES 2009, Pioneer’s home entertainment group is introducing four new A/V receivers. The Pioneer-brand A/V receivers continue to bring digital media content into the living room with a complete IPod (including iPhone, iPod Nano and iTouch) solution for high-quality sound reproduction in the home. To ensure quality audio reproduction, the new models are outfitted with the company’s digital sound processing technologies that promise to improve compressed and lower-quality music files to near CD performance.

Discuss "Four New Receivers from Pioneer" here. Read the article.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I've got to say, the 1019 looks tasty. If I can get a few hundred sheckels for my Elite, I may go for one of them. Although for $500, I could just save a few bucks and buy one.

L

latiger12

Audiophyte
I've got to say, the 1019 looks tasty. If I can get a few hundred sheckels for my Elite, I may go for one of them. Although for $500, I could just save a few bucks and buy one.
Yeah that looks bad ***. You just can't beat a good pioneer box. I have been having one for years and it still rocks. Need to upgrade to new technology though.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Any word on which of these has preouts, if there are any?

I would really love to see the 800 series get preouts back for even just 5.1, that would sell me immediately. It's such a simple feature to add back into the series. Remember the old days with the VSX-816, cheapest AV preamp ever?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm curious to see how the color OSD came out on the 919 and up.

F

FreddyC

Audiophyte
I think I just found my next receiver. Ugh ... gotta wait `till April ...

T

TimPFla

Audioholic Intern
Me TOO!!

I think I just found my next receiver. Ugh ... gotta wait `till April ...
I was looking high and low for a budget receiver. This new Pioneer line fits the bill for what I am looking for. This just gives me time to save a little for the receiver and buy a SUB right now LOL!!

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
mmm... this will make getting a Yamaha 663 vs Pioneer 1019 harder.

P

pmkrlaw

Audiophyte
Pioneer VSX 1019AH-K

I was contemplating purchasing the VSX 1018AH-K, but then heard about the 2009 VSX 1019AH-K and thought I'd wait till April for its release. However, I picked up the following from the Blu-Ray.com forum re: the VSX 1019AH-K:
-------------
"The reason the Pioneer 1019 is cheaper than the Pioneer 1018, is that Pioneer has removed quite a bit from the 1019. They took out the Faroudja DCDI video processing, Elite quality internal circuitry & Amp section, 7.1 pre-outs, 1 component input, 1 toslink input, has 5.1 Multi CH inputs instead of the 1018's 7.1 Multi CH inputs, weighs 9lbs lighter than the 1018, etc.( all features the 1018 shared with its Pioneer Elite(01TXH/03TXH)siblings & not its lower end siblings(918,818,518) ). The 1018 was basically a Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH/VSX-03TXH receiver without the Elite badge, THX certification, S-video inputs, push open front panel video input cover, RS-232C, 12Volt triggers, etc. The 1018(AKA "the Poor Man's Pioneer Elite" ) is an overall better deal than the 1019. Don't let the addition of an extra HDMI input be the deciding factor."

-------------

Is the spec comparison made by the poster in that forum correct? Now I am really confused and in a quandry about going with the 1018 or waiting for the 1019. I must admit that I am new to this level of AV-
receiver as I am upgrading since we have done a remodel and need a better receiver for our new speakers and the future possibility of adding more surround sound components for the new flat screen.

Am I fretting over nothing - would I even notice the difference?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
That's too bad if the 1019 really has dropped the Elite internals. That was what I liked about their 10XX line in the past - solid build, but without the bells and whistles if you didn't need them or want to pay for them.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
i was waiting for a 1019, figuring it would be better. i am now desiding on which elite to get.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Pioneer has the manuals and pages up on their site now.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Looks like neither the VSX-519V or the VSX-819H have PCM via HDMI... does that mean they CAN't accept PCM from say the PS3?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like neither the VSX-519V or the VSX-819H have PCM via HDMI... does that mean they CAN't accept PCM from say the PS3?
Welcome to the forum, Patrick!

I haven't seen definitive info on the 519, yet, but I downloaded the owner's manual for the 819 and it does handle PCM via HDMI. An excerpt from the manual shown below explains what signals the 819 can handle over HDMI.

Page 40 said:
The compatible signals via the HDMI terminals are: Dolby Digital, DTS, SACD (DSD 2 ch), PCM (32 kHz to 192 kHz sampling frequencies), Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-EXPRESS, DTS-HD Master Audio and DVD Audio (including 192 kHz).

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
Welcome to the forum, Patrick!

I haven't seen definitive info on the 519, yet, but I downloaded the owner's manual for the 819 and it does handle PCM via HDMI. An excerpt from the manual shown below explains what signals the 819 can handle over HDMI.
Woah, thanks! I hope that manual is accurate. I did a comparison on Pioneer's site (which i can't link to yet) between these two receivers and PCM via HDMI didn't have a red circle. Perhaps that's a mistake, or it doesn't mean what I think it means.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Woah, thanks! I hope that manual is accurate. I did a comparison on Pioneer's site (which i can't link to yet) between these two receivers and PCM via HDMI didn't have a red circle. Perhaps that's a mistake, or it doesn't mean what I think it means.
Hey, no problem! I've seen more than one of those comparison charts (by various manufacturers) that weren't correct. That doesn't mean that the manual is right, but I'd bet that it's the comparison chart that's wrong.

M

Mtn. Steel

Junior Audioholic
I have pretty much decided upon the VSX-919AH. It does lack some upscaling and input options, but I aboslutely do not do analog anymore, nor do I game. I watch Blu-Ray and listen to Ipod almost exclusively. Seems like a bargain to me.

Patrick_Wolf

Patrick_Wolf

Audioholic
I e-mailed Pioneer and asked about the VSX-519V and VSX-819H

They replied:
Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Both of the receiver are capable of supporting a PCM signal via the HDMI however neither one of the receiver will support a 4 ohm load.

Thank You,

Gill
Customer Service Representative
Bad news for me. All 5 of my speakers are 4 ohm (Klipsch Promedias), so when I upgrade it'll have to be the whole shabang or I'll lose my surround sound. :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis