Four New Receivers from Pioneer

B

brucefish

Audiophyte
I e-mailed Pioneer and asked about the VSX-519V and VSX-819H

They replied:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Both of the receiver are capable of supporting a PCM signal via the HDMI however neither one of the receiver will support a 4 ohm load.

Thank You,
Gill
Customer Service Representative

Bad news for me. All 5 of my speakers are 4 ohm (Klipsch Promedias), so when I upgrade it'll have to be the whole shabang or I'll lose my surround sound.
Sorry for what is probably an incredibly basic level question, but what does this mean exactly, about the 4 ohm load? I'm totally new to this stuff, looking to put together my first system, and reading as much as I can. I'm currently looking at the 519/819 as my first receiver. Have yet to purchase entry level speakers either (side note: recs?). What sort of compatibility issues between receiver and speakers should I be considering?

thank you!
-bf

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, bf!

Sorry for what is probably an incredibly basic level question, but what does this mean exactly, about the 4 ohm load?
The "4 ohm load" refers to the speakers. Speakers have a nominal impedance associated with them. Many speakers are 8 ohms, while some are lower than that (such as 4 ohms). A lower impedance will draw more current from the amplifiers in the receiver, and some receivers aren't designed to deliver that level of current on a normal basis. They will often go into a protection mode and shut off the amp to keep it from being damaged.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
4-ohm vs 8-ohm speakers.

Sorry for what is probably an incredibly basic level question, but what does this mean exactly, about the 4 ohm load? I'm totally new to this stuff, looking to put together my first system, and reading as much as I can. I'm currently looking at the 519/819 as my first receiver. Have yet to purchase entry level speakers either (side note: recs?). What sort of compatibility issues between receiver and speakers should I be considering?

thank you!
-bf
Hi Bruce,

Can you provide a link or more information on your Promedia Klipsch speakers?
Are they from the small satellite type that comes as a full speaker's system?
Because if they are, you should not have any compability issues with the Pioneer receiver(s) that you are considering.

And if you purchase bigger speaker with a nominal 4-ohm impedance (which means that they require a stronger amp or receiver to drive them, than an 8-ohm nominal impedance; the lower the # impedance, the higher (watts), bigger and heavier the receiver is required), you'll need a receiver with 4-ohm drive capability, like a THX certified one, or one without but of sustantial power and weight in general.

Bob

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Looking under the hood I can safely say that the VSX-519 should handle those Klipsch. Pioneer won't suggest that you connect 4 ohm speakers because they want to avoid you returning it while it's under warranty. Unlike the yesteryear Pioneers the VSX-519 uses discrete output devices instead of IC mosfets. It's a good sign they put a little extra thought into the design. Combine that with the efficient Klipsch speakers and you won't have any problems.;)

E

enytimen0w

Audiophyte
Speakers with VSX-1019AH-K

I am looking to purchase the VSX-1019AH-K, and I have Bose center channel and surround speakers, both say they are compatible with receivers that send 10-110w per channel at 4-8 ohms. Will this reciever be okay to use with these speakers? The specs say it can deliver 120w per channel, but the manual says 90W continuous at 8 ohms. I am hoping these won't burn out my speakers. Pioneer told me that these speakers are not compatible with any of their receivers. Does this sound right?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I am looking to purchase the VSX-1019AH-K, and I have Bose center channel and surround speakers, both say they are compatible with receivers that send 10-110w per channel at 4-8 ohms. Will this reciever be okay to use with these speakers? The specs say it can deliver 120w per channel, but the manual says 90W continuous at 8 ohms. I am hoping these won't burn out my speakers. Pioneer told me that these speakers are not compatible with any of their receivers. Does this sound right?
Welcome to the forum! First, the "90W continuous at 8 ohms" statement indicates the maximum power output, not a typical power output. You don't need to worry about burning out your speakers unless you crank the receiver really loud.

A 4-ohm load is difficult for a number of receivers because it increases the current draw from the receiver's amps. Most receivers won't guarantee performance below 6 ohms. Odds are that the Pioneer can handle those speakers, but it might go into protection mode if you turn the system up too loud. The next level up, the Pioneer Elite VSX-21, is THX certified and can handle a 4-ohm load.

E

enytimen0w

Audiophyte
Thank you very much for the response. One more quick questions, why do the speakers say 4/8 ohms. Are they 8 or 4 ohms? Because if they are 8, if I understand correctly, it wouldn't be a problem? Thanks again.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you very much for the response. One more quick questions, why do the speakers say 4/8 ohms. Are they 8 or 4 ohms? Because if they are 8, if I understand correctly, it wouldn't be a problem? Thanks again.
Speakers don't stay at one particular impedance, they actually change. That's why most speakers will have a nominal impedance rating, such as 8 ohms nominal. A speaker with that rating may go as low as 4 ohms and up to 10 ohms, depends on the frequency being played. Nonimal ratings just give you an average and basis for where the speaker spends most of it's time.

The Bose will work fine with even the Pioneer VSX-519. Calling Pioneer Tech Support to ask about what speakers will work with your receiver is a futile effort because even if the receiver can support a 4 ohm load they will tell you that it cannot because they don't want to have to repair your receiver under warranty, so they will try to convince you to use an 8 ohm speaker to distance you far into the safe zone (more than necessary). I've used 4 ohm nominal rated speakers with far less adequate amplification than those Pioneer receivers, I'm sure they'll have no trouble powering Bose speakers. Bose doesn't make speakers that are hard to imposing to drive, they are meant to work with basically everything making them very versitile function wise. Of course most of us have our reservations about the price per sound quality of Bose, but that has nothing to do with how it will function with a receiver.

I hope this helps.

E

enytimen0w

Audiophyte
Speakers don't stay at one particular impedance, they actually change. That's why most speakers will have a nominal impedance rating, such as 8 ohms nominal. A speaker with that rating may go as low as 4 ohms and up to 10 ohms, depends on the frequency being played. Nonimal ratings just give you an average and basis for where the speaker spends most of it's time.

The Bose will work fine with even the Pioneer VSX-519. Calling Pioneer Tech Support to ask about what speakers will work with your receiver is a futile effort because even if the receiver can support a 4 ohm load they will tell you that it cannot because they don't want to have to repair your receiver under warranty, so they will try to convince you to use an 8 ohm speaker to distance you far into the safe zone (more than necessary). I've used 4 ohm nominal rated speakers with far less adequate amplification than those Pioneer receivers, I'm sure they'll have no trouble powering Bose speakers. Bose doesn't make speakers that are hard to imposing to drive, they are meant to work with basically everything making them very versitile function wise. Of course most of us have our reservations about the price per sound quality of Bose, but that has nothing to do with how it will function with a receiver.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much, it is very helpful. The reason I have Bose speakers is they were given to me, hard to say no to free Bose Speakers. haha. But thank you, I really like the Pioneer VSX-21, but it is just a little too expensive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis