Denon announces flagship DVD-A1UD Universal Disc player (BD/SACD/DVD-A/CD)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Got $5,800? If you spent $14,000 on Denon's newest Pre/Pro components then maybe you do.

Denon have just announced their @ $5,800 Universal Disc player, the DVD-A1UD, capable of playing SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD, CD and Blu-ray Discs.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2132&page=0

Denon has announced that they will release their new flagship Blu-ray Disc player, the DVD-A1UD, this January in Japan. Designed to match up with their flagship processor, the AVP-A1HD, this universal player can playback Blu-ray, DVD, SACD, DVD-A, and CD discs at the absolute highest quality using the latest in playback technology.

The player uses Denon's fourth generation DenonLink system, which has been combined with HDMI to deliver a clearer signal with less jitters. The specialty building chassis drastically reduces vibration while also shielding sensitive components from electric and magnetic interference. Two HDMI outputs allow for connection to more than one display.

Audio receives the highest priority, with dedicated circuits making use of a 32bit/192kHz processor. Besides have 8-channel audio outs, it also includes two channel fully-balanced XLR output. Video also gets a boost via a Realta video processor to upconvert DVD content to 1080p as well as pixel correction provided by a proprietary Denon system.

When it ships in January for roughly $5,800, it will only be BonusView capable, though a future firmware release will activate the BD-Live capability. The player will then be released in Europe sometime in March, with no US date currently announced.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I, AcuDefTechGuy (raised right hand), solemnly swear that I will NOT buy this Denon player.:D

I won't say anything negative about it because I'm sure it will be one bad
**!!##^$!@!** just like the AVP + POA.:D

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's about time someone made a truly 'universal' player.

(sees price)

How much!? Those unholy (expletive deleted)!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Thank God it doesn't play HD-DVDs. That would probably be another $1000.:rolleyes:

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Ok all you guys who have just had to have blu ray and sacd dvda, time to get that fence pole outta yer butts and open up the wallets....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok all you guys who have just had to have blu ray and sacd dvda, time to get that fence pole outta yer butts and open up the wallets....
Seeing as how the player is $5800 I think I'm gonna hold on to the fence pole for a while. :)
I could do without the splinters though. :eek:
F-in' brutal. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Or you could just wait for Oppo to put out a fully universal player and save more than 5 G's.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am willing to bet 20 bucks on you having this within 4 months.
I, AcuDefTechGuy (raised right hand), solemnly swear that I will NOT buy this Denon player.:D

I won't say anything negative about it because I'm sure it will be one bad
**!!##^$!@!** just like the AVP + POA.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am willing to bet 20 bucks on you having this within 4 months.
No, not this time.:D

I mean, c'mon. I already have the 3800BDCI and 3930CI.

If I'm getting it, it would be in 1 yr.

Besides, Denon probably won't even have it out until next Summer or Fall.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looks like its time to trade up my 5910CI :) This is the player I've been waiting for!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
No, not this time.:D

I mean, c'mon. I already have the 3800BDCI and 3930CI.

If I'm getting it, it would be in 1 yr.

Besides, Denon probably won't even have it out until next Summer or Fall.:D
You aren't fooling anyone... you will sell your current players as soon as this hits the shelves, and it will be in your rack before we can blink.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I might be fooling myself here, but a $3800 "Transport" just doesn't feel right.:eek:

It's probably going to have the same Silicon Optix Realta and Burr-Brown PCM-1796 that are in the AVR-5308CI, AVP-A1HDCI, and DVD-3930CI.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
As those of us with Denon players are painfully aware, Oppo will probably come out with one that'll beat the Denon and charge $300 for it;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oppo will probably come out with one that'll beat the Denon...
I doubt that any Oppo will BEAT the Denon, especially the A1UDCI.

I think the Oppo's PQ/SQ may be just as good, but the build quality and aesthetics will not be anywhere as good as the Denon A1UDCI: fully balanced I/O, Realta, Burr-Brown PCM-1796, 40 lbs, etc.

And after talking to Oppo on the phone, I'm not sure if the Oppo will even play DVD-Audio.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
And after talking to Oppo on the phone, I'm not sure if the Oppo will even play DVD-Audio.
A lot of us are annoyed about that--even on AVS. I can understand the lack of HD DVD playback. HD DVD playback is cumbersome and pricey right now despite having a decent sized market. (Ask LG and Samsung how much they lost with their dual format players.) However, there is no excuse for lack of DVD-A playback on an Oppo considering DolbyTrueHD and MLP are very similar. If I wanted a Blu-Ray player that also played SACD's and no DVD-A's, I would get a 20GB PS3.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Plays everything I want... but that price is ridiculous. I'll pass :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I doubt that any Oppo will BEAT the Denon, especially the A1UDCI.

I think the Oppo's PQ/SQ may be just as good, but the build quality and aesthetics will not be anywhere as good as the Denon A1UDCI: fully balanced I/O, Realta, Burr-Brown PCM-1796, 40 lbs, etc.

Just give the Dawg his $20.00 and be done with it! We all know you want it:p:D:).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis