An Open Letter to Tradeshow Exhibitors

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I know it costs easily tens of thousands of dollars for even a modest booth at one of these tradeshows. Those mega-structures set up by the major companies cost many times more. But in the end, what is most important is not how flashy your booth is or how high tech your demos are but people. In the end, it is the people, not the displays, that are responsible for distributing information, engaging the people that wander into your booth, and conveying the excitement you feel about your products. So why don't you spend the time to train them?

Discuss "An Open Letter to Tradeshow Exhibitors" here. Read the article.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well stated, Tom. Also, funny as always. I always enjoy reading your articles.

Do you know how important this show is to the "big" companies anymore? Do they really rely on them much anymore to disseminate information, or do they rely more on other forms of communication? I'm just asking. The whole A/V sales world is foreign to me. I wonder if the established companies are attending now not so much because they need to spread the word but more because a lack of presence is something with which they aren't yet comfortable. If that was the case, then it might explain the lack of training. Even so, I agree that it seems like such a waste to not have the info there with people that understand it.

J

jfalk

Audioholic Intern
I thought it was only the "little guys" who got ignored at these shows. Glad to see that clout wouldn't have made much difference.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You can't have it both ways...

I have a bit of a problem (to quote from the article):

"If you want to waste an hour of your life, run into an engineer"

AND

"Sony, you put a guy directly in front of your new XBR7 LCD screen. That's great but unfortunately his maximum capability extended to reading the placard hanging on the wall next to the display. When I asked him about the type of backlight used in the display he had no idea"

I don't know what to tell you at this point Tom. The person that is going to be able to answer your questions is the same one you don't want to bump into.

An engineer isn't going to take an hour to answer what back light is in a TV. But they are going to be able to answer your next question, and then your next question after that :rolleyes: If they are taking too much of your time just excuse yourself.

I don't know what to tell you at this point Tom. The person that is going to be able to answer your questions is the same one you don't want to bump into.
Oh no. We've found some incredibly well-versed marketing people (perfectly acceptable) and product managers (best) in the industry. They understand how the products work and know how much information to deliver before it gets tedious. The actual engineers never know when to stop and typically don't have the capacity/ability to judge when they are talking too much or boring the listener.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The actual engineers never know when to stop and typically don't have the capacity/ability to judge when they are talking too much or boring the listener.
They need to send engineers with better social skills, then. I spend my days surrounded by engineers (I'm one, too). Granted...I'm conditioned to it, but I think that for the most part we act like "normal" people. There are those, however, that are just like what you describe. Those people just bore the living snot out of me. And the jokes that they tell...oh, lord...the jokes.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Oh no. We've found some incredibly well-versed marketing people (perfectly acceptable) and product managers (best) in the industry. They understand how the products work and know how much information to deliver before it gets tedious. The actual engineers never know when to stop and typically don't have the capacity/ability to judge when they are talking too much or boring the listener.
It's funny, when we research product for our business I always prefer to speak with a tech support person about the product. I have a habit (right or wrong) of considering the sales/product managers not being 'in the trenches'.

On any major purchase I have ALWAYS spoken with a support/engineering type before dropping the $$.

majorloser

majorloser

Uh, you do understand that trade shows are the best way to "wine n' dine" clients all in one place? If you're not hooking up with the vendors every night for a night out on the town, you're not doing it right. And always remember that the people working the booths after the first day are either the junior staffers who didn't make the party from the night before because they had to open the booth that day or they are staff that made the party from the night before with a serious hangover.

And what's with the lack of love for the poor working booth girls? Would you really give a dang about some company's new RCA subwoofer cable if it wasn't used to hold up the tiny bikini on the booth babe?

But I will agree with you on the engineers. NEVER ask an EE to explain their work (unless you need a quick cure for insomnia).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis