Qtrax - Worst False Start Since HD-DVD

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
In what has got to be the worst false start since Toshiba announced its first 1080i HD DVD player, Qtrax has stumbled onto the scene with its new download service. Apparently the Pentium II server hooked up to the internet via dial-up in the President's garage wasn't quite enough for the throngs of people looking to get online and download free music. It's not like there isn't a nice trail of past-experience to give technical people a leg up when figuring out bandwidth loads and server requirements. Qtrax is way over its head today.

Discuss "Qtrax - Worst False Start Since HD-DVD" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
And here I though I was the only one waiting to get the software download. After the 20 minute wait this morning the download started and proceeded at speed (took 30 seconds or so through my T1 connection @ work). However i was not able to connect the server and thus not able to use the service. It appears there is no service to be had anyhow.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Some things just sound too good to be true.....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it doesn't work, then it doesn't matter if it is free....

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I get the point, but would argue Blu Ray as a worse false start than HD DVD. And there's no "-" in HD DVD;)

Pat

HD-DVD is the generic term for high-definition DVD (both formats)... I just happened to detail the HD DVD example in the description.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
HD-DVD is the generic term for high-definition DVD (both formats)... I just happened to detail the HD DVD example in the description.
Got it, just had to mention both sides had some release issues:D

Pat

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
This was a hilarious story.

The CEO had a great response with his we're not idiots schpiel. I wonder if the whole thing wasn't a share grab.

According to one story I read the stock for its parent company Brilliant Technologies doubled in just two days.

Mind you we're talking penny trades. But a rise from 3 to 6 cents is a double your money every time.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Clint, you're being too nice. Methinks you need to go back further in history to something like AllofMp3.com, the relaunched, legal Napster or even Circuit City's DIVX.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Clint, you're being too nice. Methinks you need to go back further in history to something like AllofMp3.com, the relaunched, legal Napster or even Circuit City's DIVX.
allofmp3 was amazing, the reincarnated site mp3sparks is still up to date. It works beautifully. I pay about $2 an album for 192 kbs and am more than satisfied. I am not sure why you'd include it with napster and divx:confused:

Pat

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis